Oscar Ratings Crash

while Hollywood has been "woke" selectively for a very long time I believe one difference is that the "woke" part was a small part of the show in the past but now it appears to be a competition on who's speech can out woke another. the political posturing dominates the festivities now just as politics has invaded every aspect of our culture.

while Hollywood has been "woke" selectively for a very long time I believe one difference is that the "woke" part was a small part of the show in the past but now it appears to be a competition on who's speech can out woke another. the political posturing dominates the festivities now just as politics has invaded every aspect of our culture.

Wokeness creeps into the categories as well. Black Panther was a decent flick, but was it worthy of being included as Best Picture? I mean, if we are going completely on "kick ass movies" then Captain America: Civil War should have easily gotten the nomination as well.

Wokeness creeps into the categories as well. Black Panther was a decent flick, but was it worthy of being included as Best Picture? I mean, if we are going completely on "kick ass movies" then Captain America: Civil War should have easily gotten the nomination as well.
As Bill Mahr (and I can't believe I am quoting him) said, "we want to be entertained not lectured"

Spoken like a true philistine with zero appreciation for film.

Wine snob just popped into my head.

Me: "I don't like this wine"
WS: "It's because you are unsophisticated and don't understand the complexities"
Me: "It just doesn't taste good"

Wine snob just popped into my head.

Me: "I don't like this wine"
WS: "It's because you are unsophisticated and don't understand the complexities"
Me: "It just doesn't taste good"

"There hasn't been a single good wine made in the past 20 years" would be an equally idiotic opinion.

Entertaining from the standpoint people enjoyed it without gushing over the artsy stuff. Gladiator, for example, was entertaining while also having the artsy stuff.

Perhaps I'm just not cultured enough...

The point is that you're a movie critic, not that you're cultured or uncultured.

I need a Venn diagram of people who complain about movies without mass audience appeal winning awards and also complain about Hollywood having no imagination.

Surely there must be a way to make a creative movie that appeals to the masses and isn't up its own a$$ with boring artsy horsesh*t and depressing themes. Hell, almost everything Pixar has done falls into that category. Why can't Hollywood follow their lead when making adult themed movies?

Reactions: Wireless1
The point is that you're a movie critic, not that you're cultured or uncultured.

No, I'm pretty uncultured lol

To me, movies should be entertaining first and foremost. I could care less about what kind of lighting was used or this camera angle or how culturally impacting it is. They have categories for best lighting or screenplay or whatever.

Entertain me first, then get into how impacting it might be. The 90s (and counting 2000) were pretty decent in the Best Picture category. Since then? Not so much.

Reactions: hog88
No, I'm pretty uncultured lol

To me, movies should be entertaining first and foremost. I could care less about what kind of lighting was used or this camera angle or how culturally impacting it is. They have categories for best lighting or screenplay or whatever.

Entertain me first, then get into how impacting it might be. The 90s (and counting 2000) were pretty decent in the Best Picture category. Since then? Not so much.

Boobs! More boobs and violence or comedy and boobs!

Surely there must be a way to make a creative movie that appeals to the masses and isn't up its own a$$ with boring artsy horsesh*t and depressing themes. Hell, almost everything Pixar has done falls into that category. Why can't Hollywood follow their lead when making adult themed movies?

Do you watch any good premium television? That's where the good Hollywood content for adults is going, and there is more of that than ever before. The business model has changed and I like it much more this way. A good courtroom drama should be a 6 or 10 episode season, not a 2 hr movie.

Making a movie doesn't really make much business sense anymore unless it has the potential to become a franchise. Then you have artistic passion projects that don't make business sense at all. So theater-goers are now subjected to fart-sniffing indy films and Marvel movies. That's about it. But, Hollywood is more than just movies and I'll take premium TV over anything Hollywood has ever produced, TBH.

Donto worry. I don't think Michael Bay is retiring anytime soon. You'll still get your titties and explosions.

Reactions: volfanhill
IMO the PG13 rating has ruined a lot of potentially good movies.
Yep. Sacrificing good content to attract a larger audience . Don’t get me started on how the current climate has killed comedic movies. I think a lot of people are scared.

Reactions: hog88
Because Netflix, Hallmark, and Apple are willing to follow the money rather than the SJW script. Disney looked they were going to follow the money for a little while with the CEO announcement, but they now require "quotas" so sell your stock if you got it.

VN Store

Back