Oscar Ratings Crash

while Hollywood has been "woke" selectively for a very long time I believe one difference is that the "woke" part was a small part of the show in the past but now it appears to be a competition on who's speech can out woke another. the political posturing dominates the festivities now just as politics has invaded every aspect of our culture.
It would be hard to get any more a part of the show than the stunt Marlon Brando pulled with the Native American woman in 1973. Incredibly, Brando kept receiving Academy Award nominations even after that.

When Oliver Stone won Best Director for Platoon in 1987, his entire acceptance speech was a rant against the United States government for the (in his opinion) poor treatment of Vietnam veterans (including himself).

Also, Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon were chosen as presenters for some technical award during the 1996 Academy Awards when she was also nominated for Best Actress for Dead Man Walking. They used the moment to call for the closing of Guantanamo Bay in Cuba... which had nothing to do with anything that they were there to talk about.

Politics have always been a big part of the show.

Last edited:
IMO the PG13 rating has ruined a lot of potentially good movies.

yeah and the Chinese market. Producers know if they just make a movie with a bunch of explosions it will be huge in foreign markets where dialogue doesn't translate as well. China is their biggest market so we get movies with boring dialogue and lots of explosions.
-

If The Godfather was made in 2021 instead of 1972 it would be called "The Boss", much easier to translate. And instead of Vito subtly saying "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" he would say "take that dummy!" and blow up half of New York City.

OH and his name wouldn't be Vito it would be Kyle because the "k" sound is universal across languages. :)

It would be hard to get any more a part of the show than the stunt Marlon Brando pulled with the Native American woman in 1973. Incredibly, Brando kept receiving Academy Award nominations even after that. When Oliver Stone won Best Director for Platoon in 1987, his entire acceptance speech was a rant against the United States government for the (in his opinion) poor treatment of Vietnam veterans (including himself). It's always been a big part of the show.

In both your examples it was one awardee. My point was that now most of the speeches are political in nature whereas they used to be the exception.

In both your examples it was one awardee. My point was that now most of the speeches are political in nature whereas they used to be the exception.
I threw in another example with Robbins and Sarandon... and it really has always been that way.

I cannot recall ever watching the Oscars for more than 30 seconds. Having said that, I don't think you can necessarily assume that bad ratings this year are due to rejection of "woke" culture or whatever. Its just been too weird an 18 months to assume causation or even correlation to much of anything IMO.

I cannot recall ever watching the Oscars for more than 30 seconds. Having said that, I don't think you can necessarily assume that bad ratings this year are due to rejection of "woke" culture or whatever. Its just been too weird an 18 months to assume causation or even correlation to much of anything IMO.
I'm pretty sure that the highest rated Academy Awards show was in 1998 when Titanic won Best Picture and Jack Nicholson won Best Actor for As Good As It Gets and Robin Williams won Best Supporting Actor for Good Will Hunting. The show does well in years when high profile, blockbuster movies are nominated... and high profile, popular actors are nominated in the acting categories. That just hasn't been the case for a while now.

I'm pretty sure that the highest rated Academy Awards show was in 1998 when Titanic won Best Picture and Jack Nicholson won Best Actor for As Good As It Gets and Robin Williams won Best Supporting Actor for Good Will Hunting. The show does well in years when high profile, blockbuster movies are nominated... and high profile, popular actors are nominated in the acting categories. That just hasn't been the case for a while now.

I think Titanic won for a variety of reasons, but I think the sheer scale of that movie was what put it over the top.

Never really understood why people would want to watch an awards show for movies when they could just use that time to watch a movie. Hell, as long as those shows are, they could possibly watch 2 movies.

Reactions: hog88

Why do you know this?

Never really understood why people would want to watch an awards show for movies when they could just use that time to watch a movie. Hell, as long as those shows are, they could possibly watch 2 movies.
There are a lot of things that people watch that I'll never understand either, like "the bachelor" and conversely "the bachelorette", I could go on and cite most TV programs that are on the air today.

There are a lot of things that people watch that I'll never understand either, like "the bachelor" and conversely "the bachelorette", I could go on and cite most TV programs that are on the air today.

I'd call them the "Ho Shows" when the wife used to watch them.

I think Titanic won for a variety of reasons, but I think the sheer scale of that movie was what put it over the top.
L.A. Confidential was a far superior film. But you’re exactly right, the Titanic won because of the “epic” quality it had, nearly $2 billion at the worldwide box office, plus just how difficult it was just to film it.

Reactions: Godfatha
I hope the same thing happens to the NBA and MLB.
I don’t. I want them to get thru their hissy fit thinking anybody gives a **** what they think or say that isn’t directly tied to some aspect of the game they play, and just shut up and play the damn game.

Entertain me MFers

L.A. Confidential was a far superior film. But you’re exactly right, the Titanic won because of the “epic” quality it had, nearly $2 billion at the worldwide box office, plus just how difficult it was just to film it.
Why didn't she just make room for Jack on that door? It was big enough for both of them.

VN Store

Back