Our chances at Oregon.....

Chattanooga, I hope the Vols win 10 games this year, I've been a fan since 1962 and I am an Alumni, class of 1973.....I've been here with all the up's and down's for many many years
Go Vols

A real fan would wish we go undefeated. :)

Or, if you want to talk up a win, how about picking a team that we have a better chance of upsetting istead of the 10 Oregon threads. Yes I guess there is a chance we beat oregon. People are acting like we have a better chance against them than South Carolina or Florida because of recruiting rankings or conference affiliation. That's just not the case.

Sometimes a team that underacheived a previous year, can come out and completely turn things around the next year......lets hope team 117 is that team.....we are indeed getting close to seeing our beloved Vols compete in 2013

Building off of that first point, it's absurd to claim that you know how physical Oregon plays

May be absurd. Just going by the eyeball test. I stated that Oregon is a great program with a great scheme. Just don't think they are as big and physical as the top SEC teams. Upgrading to 200 pounds at tailback is still small by SEC standards. I'm trying not to be SEC centric in my opinion but rather trying to go off history of watching Oregon and the SEC. It isn't a slight at Oregon. There are no teams in this country that have done very well against the SEC's top teams. Of course I could be wrong. Not above admitting that if so.

WE ARE GOING TO WIN....

Ok, optimist hat off. Its going to be a war.. a trial by fire.. its going to be fun. I can't wait.

We will see what Butch Jones and our team can do against a power house. Its going to be LOTS OF FUN........I hope.

JimVol

Who was the last sec team that Oregon played? Lsu? What was the score just curious how they played

If you're equating UT's play with LSU's over the last 12 years you've lost your mind!

Yes, UT won in '05. Other than that, not much.

We all love the SEC, SEC, SEC thing but UT isn't exactly holding up its end of the deal.

I've been giving it some serious thought and analytically breaking down the matching and have come to this conclusion: we have a chance. In the 1st quarter we will come out fired up and really hit Oregon in the mouth. They won't see it coming and we will be bigger, stronger, and faster than any PAC team they've played. We will rack up close to 80 yards on the ground in the first quarter, ultimately going into the half tied up.

In the second half, Oregon will come out prepared, adjusted, and in rhythm. They'll score 2 quick touchdowns to our one field goal going into the fourth. We'll fight hard, but ultimately Oregon's speed and systematic approach will not allow us to catch up in the fourth before pulling away with the win 88-3

Reactions: 1 person
This is a far better match up than many of you seem to believe. There will not be a talent deficit. Oregon has some fast players but UT has better team speed overall. UT has two lighter opponents to settle in with... with the second challenging enough to push improvement.

Where I think you guys are really missing it is on the line of scrimmage. I think UT will win both sides. That gives them a chance.... even a good chance of pulling off the upset.

Reactions: 3 people
This is a far better match up than many of you seem to believe. There will not be a talent deficit. Oregon has some fast players but UT has better team speed overall. UT has two lighter opponents to settle in with... with the second challenging enough to push improvement.

Where I think you guys are really missing it is on the line of scrimmage. I think UT will win both sides. That gives them a chance.... even a good chance of pulling off the upset.

Prepare to get flamed.

Please explain Oregon's #3 pre-season ranking! Good grief!

Although, I love a great OL but to say there is no talent difference based on a subjective ranking when these kids were 17 years old is crazy!

I've been giving it some serious thought and analytically breaking down the matching and have come to this conclusion: we have a chance. In the 1st quarter we will come out fired up and really hit Oregon in the mouth. They won't see it coming and we will be bigger, stronger, and faster than any PAC team they've played. We will rack up close to 80 yards on the ground in the first quarter, ultimately going into the half tied up.

In the second half, Oregon will come out prepared, adjusted, and in rhythm. They'll score 2 quick touchdowns to our one field goal going into the fourth. We'll fight hard, but ultimately Oregon's speed and systematic approach will not allow us to catch up in the fourth before pulling away with the win 88-3

If this game looks like the last Oregon game... then the coach that was hired is probably no better than the coach that was fired. This is a better team than the 2010 team from a talent standpoint. Oregon is similar but just went through their own coaching changes. UT with no more offense than Tauren Poole ripping off big runs behind an OL that included some of the guys as Fr who will start this year as Srs.

I suspect however that this coach is much better than the one that was just fired... a lot better. I suspect his DL will compress the backfield while the back 7 play catch. I suspect this OL is ALOT better than the one that pushed Oregon around pretty good last time they saw them. I suspect UT has at least two RB's with more physical talent than Poole had. I suspect even this WR group on the whole has more talent than the one headed in that game by Moore and Jones.

If this game is a blowout on nearly the proportions or of the character the 2010 game was then Jones is neither the coach I am beginning to believe he is nor the right coach to raise UT back up.

Here was the starting D vs Oregon in 2010. I am completely comfortable saying the current D is more talented and experienced throughout the front 7, better at safety as well, and more physically talented as thin as things are at CB.

LE 97 Jackson, Mal.
DT 80 Miller, C.
NT 93 Hughes, M.
RE 84 Walker, C.
SLB 42 Thompson, L.
MLB 56 Reveiz, N.
WLB 34 Lathers, H.
LCB 25 Evans, A.
SS 23 Waggner, P.
FS 15 Jackson, J.
RCB 10 Teague, M.

Here was the starting D vs Oregon in 2010. I am completely comfortable saying the current D is more talented and experienced throughout the front 7, better at safety as well, and more physically talented as thin as things are at CB.

LE 97 Jackson, Mal.
DT 80 Miller, C.
NT 93 Hughes, M.
RE 84 Walker, C.
SLB 42 Thompson, L.
MLB 56 Reveiz, N.
WLB 34 Lathers, H.
LCB 25 Evans, A.
SS 23 Waggner, P.
FS 15 Jackson, J.
RCB 10 Teague, M.

Better everywhere except DE. Overall, yes we are.

LE 97 Jackson, Mal.
DT 80 Miller, C.
NT 93 Hughes, M.
RE 84 Walker, C.
SLB 42 Thompson, L.
MLB 56 Reveiz, N.
WLB 34 Lathers, H.
LCB 25 Evans, A.
SS 23 Waggner, P.
FS 15 Jackson, J.
RCB 10 Teague, M.
I like your optimism, but I remember the defense from last year. I need to see the improvement with my own 2 eyes before I'm talking about them being better or worse.

Please explain Oregon's #3 pre-season ranking! Good grief!

Although, I love a great OL but to say there is no talent difference based on a subjective ranking when these kids were 17 years old is crazy!

I'm not doing that. I am saying that several of the same guys coupled with guys who helped push Oregon around 3 years ago are now mature, experienced, fully developed seniors. The guys who did not participate are significantly more talented than the guys they replaced.

I don't have to explain anything about pre-season rankings. Match ups could (and I think do) favor UT in critical places. I like UT's OL and DL units vs Oregon especially. I don't see any of their receivers right now that just scare me even with UT's questions at CB. I could be wrong but I don't believe Thomas is as good as Barner or James were.

Oregon could still end up being a great team and national title contender... and lose to UT. I have been wrong and certainly could be again... but I am not in the habit of putting things out there that I am not pretty comfortable with... and I don't think this is the mismatch many of you do.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not doing that. I am saying that several of the same guys coupled with guys who helped push Oregon around 3 years ago are now mature, experienced, fully developed seniors. The guys who did not participate are significantly more talented than the guys they replaced.

I don't have to explain anything about pre-season rankings. Match ups could (and I think do) favor UT in critical places. I like UT's OL and DL units vs Oregon especially. I don't see any of their receivers right now that just scare me even with UT's questions at CB. I could be wrong but I don't believe Thomas is as good as Barner or James were.

Oregon could still end up being a great team and national title contender... and lose to UT. I have been wrong and certainly could be again... but I am not in the habit of putting things out there that I am not pretty comfortable with... and I don't think this is the mismatch many of you do.

If, and it's a big IF, UT's OL is doing a great job of opening holes then UT has a chance of staying in the game. Oregon can score too fast. That's the scary part.

I like your optimism, but I remember the defense from last year. I need to see the improvement with my own 2 eyes before I'm talking about them being better or worse.

Agreed. Chris Walker, Malik, Montori were a good line, and LaMarcus was a great LB, Nick played with a ton of heart, and so did Herman.

We have a potentially good group, and I'm hoping that what is being said about our D is true. We will just have to see. Couch, McCullers, Smith, Miller, Williams, Maggitt, Sapp, and Johnson are really going to have to step it up and play lights out this year. ESPECIALLY Smith and Miller. They've underachieved, so they're due a big year.

I don't think we win this game, if I'm realistic.

But I think we do a whole lot better than most people think we do. I really think we wake up the sleeping giant in this game.

We have the best D-line in the past 13 years IMO

Absolutely not.

Could they be? Maybe.

But at this point, to say that is pure ignorance.

We were rated #98th last year in the amount of sacks we got. That means that 97 teams got more sacks than we did. And the only real difference between last years line and this years is that we're missing Sentimore.

So, I would love to believe that this is a great D-Line, and I hope that it will be.

But to say that at this point is just ignorant. You can't prove that at all.

Hard to say right now. We definitely have the biggest.

Now that is absolutely true. I can't think of a player ever donning the orange as big as Big Dan. If Dan Skipper would have signed, he would have been bigger height wise. But Dan Mc. is a monster. Couch is huge too.

VN Store

Back