Our chances at Oregon.....

#4 will be HUGE. If the Vols can't run the ball, nothing else is going to matter. One could say that's going to be the case all year.

I'll take that one futher...One could say that's the case every year.

They have speed

We have BigDan in the three technique , Big Dan Hood, Mozilla, Mr. Smith, AJ the Freak, and Too Maggitt to Quit. We're kicking Oregon's azz. This is not Dooley's team this is the Jones era and we are not slaw. #117

are better than most think. Admittedly, I always drink the kool-aid, and wear orange tinted glasses. I have been thinking about this game for a while, trying to think of a reason we can hang with this team. I decided to do a little checking/research, and this is what I found interesting, and hopeful.

Over the past four recruiting years, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013, Tennessee and Oregon are exactly even, both averaging finishing at number 15. We keep hearing of the differences in talent, but they have lost quite a bit also. Our defense was not as bad as it appeared on the field(Sunseri), and our team is not void of talent(but it is void of Dooley, thankfully). Oregon is also void of Chip Kelly, and their head coach is completely unproven, and could be their Dooley.

Given the closer overall talent, and I believe a coaching advantage for UT, I believe it will be a MUCH closer game than people think. With a fortunate defensive score, or couple of turnovers, who knows. If UT can score 1st, and get momentum, Oregon may not respond as well as they hope. You never know with kids, new coaching staff, etc.....

Here's to hope! (flame away.......):crossfingers:

I bet you are one of those people that will be upset if we don't go 8-4 this year. Their coaching staff isn't new. Helfrich has been calling the plays since 2009 at Oregon. My bet is they don't skip a beat with Chip Kelly gone. That game could get ugly quick. Hope I'm wrong but Oregon will have shinier helmets, and faster players in the skill positions. Sunseri had nothing to do with Burton seperating from our guys like we were running backwards. Sunseri was only responsible for not having us in the best position to make a play, compensating for our lack of speed.

All that being said I think we win by 14. :peace2:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
There was only one team last year that we really couldn't hang with, which was Bama. We have the talent to play and beat just about anyone in the country. Do not be surprised if we pull out a major upset against Oregon.

Reactions: 1 person
I bet you are one of those people that will be upset if we don't go 8-4 this year. Their coaching staff isn't new. Helfrich has been calling the plays since 2009 at Oregon. My bet is they don't skip a beat with Chip Kelly gone. That game could get ugly quick. Hope I'm wrong but Oregon will have shinier helmets, and faster players in the skill positions. Sunseri had nothing to do with Burton seperating from our guys like we were running backwards. Sunseri was only responsible for not having us in the best position to make a play, compensating for our lack of speed.

All that being said I think we win by 14. :peace2:

If we go 8-4 this year I'll be upset 4 times.

At least four keys are critical for us to have any reasonable chance in this one:

(1) Defensive containment on the perimeter. We all know that this was an absolute nightmare last year; drastic improvement on this front is absolutely imperative, given Oregon's speed at the skill positions.

(2) Avoid turnovers, particularly early in the game. We cannot allow Oregon to establish momentum.

(3) Throttle down our offensive pace. I know that it is contrary to Butch's style, but Oregon is not a team that you try to match tempo for tempo. Given how inexperienced we are at the skilled positions, we simply cannot afford three-and-outs against these guys. On the other hand, our conditioning and increased exposure to practicing against up-tempo offenses should help here. Nevertheless, it is still imperative to milk the clock as much as possible and reduce Oregon's number of possessions.

(4) Pound on them with our offensive line and running game and then pound on them some more.

i agree and i would also say that if our offense has to score more than 21 points i dont believe we can win with this being our 3rd game and 1st real game and away game

Biggest thing OR has over us other than speed. Is they know how to win. The players we have dont know how to battle and win. I hope Butch can change that

are better than most think. Admittedly, I always drink the kool-aid, and wear orange tinted glasses. I have been thinking about this game for a while, trying to think of a reason we can hang with this team. I decided to do a little checking/research, and this is what I found interesting, and hopeful.

Over the past four recruiting years, 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013, Tennessee and Oregon are exactly even, both averaging finishing at number 15. We keep hearing of the differences in talent, but they have lost quite a bit also. Our defense was not as bad as it appeared on the field(Sunseri), and our team is not void of talent(but it is void of Dooley, thankfully). Oregon is also void of Chip Kelly, and their head coach is completely unproven, and could be their Dooley.

Given the closer overall talent, and I believe a coaching advantage for UT, I believe it will be a MUCH closer game than people think. With a fortunate defensive score, or couple of turnovers, who knows. If UT can score 1st, and get momentum, Oregon may not respond as well as they hope. You never know with kids, new coaching staff, etc.....

Here's to hope! (flame away.......):crossfingers:

You've forgotten the attrition of those classes, which we've had a ton of.

Nearly 700 pounds in the middle is absolutely sick. Couch and McCullers are probably the biggest duo ever at UT when it comes to pounds.

Henderson/Haynesworth are the closest I can think of. Each of them were, what, ~330 when they played together?

Henderson/Haynesworth are the closest I can think of. Each of them were, what, ~330 when they played together?

Yeah I believe they're the closest to the current two. I cant wait to see what Mo and Big Dan can do together more often this year.

This is a far better match up than many of you seem to believe. There will not be a talent deficit. Oregon has some fast players but UT has better team speed overall. UT has two lighter opponents to settle in with... with the second challenging enough to push improvement.

Where I think you guys are really missing it is on the line of scrimmage. I think UT will win both sides. That gives them a chance.... even a good chance of pulling off the upset.

I find this an interesting comment. I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement, of course, I am a Duck so my perspective may be bias a bit.

There is no question we have a better chance of losing to Western Kentucky than beating Oregon. Did I just see someone say we have more overall team speed than Oregon? If we beat Oregon, we will probably beat Florida, Georgia and South carolina too.

I find this an interesting comment. I'm not sure I'd agree with that statement, of course, I am a Duck so my perspective may be bias a bit.

It's an amusing and absolutely asinine statement. We are slow, they are the fastest team in the country.

It's an amusing and absolutely asinine statement. We are slow, they are the fastest team in the country.

so now they are the fastest team in the country ?

do you have any proof ? If so I would like to see it please.

if you have no proof then your statement is just as asinine as any.

Coming from the same group of people that have raised the price of Jergen's stock based on preliminary recruiting rankings on Rival! :ermm:

I guess we might as well just give manziel the heisman again since its already been decided

VN Store

Back