Overemployment of the Lazy

Their doing less work in my opinion. It's a supply and demand with people right now and the demand is going to dry up and suddenly the work from home demanders are going to understand what it's really like to have to work for a living.
Your opinion means little when not backed by any data. If the same amount of work gets done there's no really use for people to go into the office.

I work from home most days and get the same work done. What exactly am I going to have to understand?

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Your opinion means little when not backed by any data. If the same amount of work gets done there's no really use for people to go into the office.

I work from home most days and get the same work done. What exactly am I going to have to understand?
You spend most of your day on this website, if you went in to a real job would you spend most of your day F'n off?

You spend most of your day on this website, if you went in to a real job would you spend most of your day F'n off?
I don't spend most of my day. I may pop in at various times and spend 5min posting. I have this cool newfangled phone that fits in my pocket. I only use it to post so you have no clue if I'm in the office or at home.

I sit in on lots of useless meetings likely organized by people like you who love to appear busy

You know what happens when people start working from home don't you? They become disposable employees that can be sourced from any country in the world. Sorry Jerry, we're going to let you go because Wong Dang or Vicaswamy Rahmdi is willing to work twice as long for half as much. We're F'n ourselves every day and don't even see what we're doing.
Yep. Agree completely. But these people doing this are only screwing themselves.

Reactions: hog88
I don't spend most of my day. I may pop in at various times and spend 5min posting. I have this cool newfangled phone that fits in my pocket. I only use it to post so you have no clue if I'm in the office or at home.

I sit in on lots of useless meetings likely organized by people like you who love to appear busy
So do you think your job can be done from anywhere since you apparently don't have an office?

Depends on job..we have inside engineers that have to come in now..were actually very productive during COVID. Owner has this complex to see his peeps though. Must make him feel something, even though he admitted productivity levels never dropped off before.

Hey drive 2 hours a day in BS Atlanta traffic so I can feel like a boss.

Companies that don't reward performance deserve the minimum.
And I think with a lot of the younger generation we have different values than our companies.

I was talking with an older coworker about how much of his pay would he be willing to trade for an additional day off. For him it was only a hundred bucks or so. It was less than his billable rate and probably less than his take home from that day. I would give up 1k for an extra day off. That's more than my company makes off me, and thus more than I make for that day of work. My time is more valuable than the money it would otherwise buy me.

Of course there is a break even point.

And the other thing that sucks is that you spend more time making up for your time off than you get time off. So it circles back to, what's the point of working extra if the whole point is you can never be ahead.

And I think with a lot of the younger generation we have different values than our companies.

I was talking with an older coworker about how much of his pay would he be willing to trade for an additional day off. For him it was only a hundred bucks or so. It was less than his billable rate and probably less than his take home from that day. I would give up 1k for an extra day off. That's more than my company makes off me, and thus more than I make for that day of work. My time is more valuable than the money it would otherwise buy me.

And the other thing that sucks is that you spend more time making up for your time off than you get time off. So it circles back to, what's the point of working extra if the whole point is you can never be ahead.

It's definitely a different mindset in most of the younger generation. I was raised/brought up to work my ass off and pay my dues while young betting that it would pay off in my 40s/50s. That's not the case with my kids generation and I'm starting to see their reasoning.

This. One of the tracking software's just recently popped up with a notification that made me laugh. "Congrat's LouderVol, you are up to two hours a day of focus time."

Focus time is time not spent in a meeting or on the phone, VOIP allows some weird tracking.

2 hours a day.

That's right I spend little more than 1 day a week "doing". Its frustrating.

So do you think your job can be done from anywhere since you apparently don't have an office?
Yes I've done it from lots of different places. I do have an office. We're just not required to come in every day
All I can say is that most people working from home won't have a job 5 years from now. If you can do your job at home, some Indian or Chinese person will do it cheaper and put your ass out of work.
If it's that easy why didn't it happen already? Maybe your thinking is simply incorrect and stuck in an outdated workplace model that doesn't need to exist anymore

It's definitely a different mindset in most of the younger generation. I was raised/brought up to work my ass off and pay my dues while young betting that it would pay off in my 40s/50s. That's not the case with my kids generation and I'm starting to see their reasoning.
I think a lot of us grew up watching our parents do a job they disliked, or disliked how much time they worked, and said screw it. You dont get rewarded for busting your butt.

I think a lot of us grew up watching our parents do a job they disliked, or disliked how much time they worked, and said screw it. You dont get rewarded for busting your butt.
I can work the same hours but still get to drop my kids off at the bus every morning and greet them every afternoon. I get to take them to swimming, football, bjj, etc instead of driving straight there after work and missing half.

If I can produce the same product why should it matter what chair I sit in to do it?

Ties all in together with these comments.
I was lucky to have advancements and the corporation always said "our people are our greatest asset". Well now that corporation does most manufacturing overseas after closing several facilities.
When cheaper options arise..corporate America does not consider you their "greatest asset". Loyalty is a two way street

Their doing less work in my opinion. It's a supply and demand with people right now and the demand is going to dry up and suddenly the work from home demanders are going to understand what it's really like to have to work for a living.

I work on site at a hospital while many of my coworkers elected to work from home. They would be goofing off or posting on social media 30-40% of the time if they were still here. If metrics are met and the job is complete, then there really isn't anything to complain about.

Rarely have I seen someone bust their butt in an intelligent manner and not be rewarded.

Also, I see this notion talked about on here in regards to “I choose to work less to have a better quality of life” than my parents. BS. That isn’t the choice at all. We are able to work less and still have a better quality of life because of technology, inherited wealth from previous generations, etc.

All I can say is that most people working from home won't have a job 5 years from now. If you can do your job at home, some Indian or Chinese person will do it cheaper and put your ass out of work.

are you talking about over a year’s time?

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I can work the same hours but still get to drop my kids off at the bus every morning and greet them every afternoon. I get to take them to swimming, football, bjj, etc instead of driving straight there after work and missing half.

If I can produce the same product why should it matter what chair I sit in to do it?
Not everyone has the discipline to do it…. For those that can…👍🏼. I do think Volstrom is right when he said there will be jobs outsourced to India and China though. Our office has started doing it already

In the tech industry, MANY jobs are remote. Welding, oil rigs and retail sales associate? not so much. really just depends.

It really does depend. Production type jobs or labor intensive jobs do require a person to be hands on all the time. My job is hit and miss. Depends on what is going on. I have debugged hundreds of automated machines and if there isn't a big project going on I may only have to show up for 4 or 5 hours a day and maybe only for 4 days a week because of my past hard work. Sometimes get to work from home on PLC programming. Sometimes I get called to remote in on a machine that is having problems, even on the weekends. But, I have done my job very well, am always on call, so my reward is that half the time I don't have to be on site more than 25 or 30 hours a week if that.

VN Store

Back