Overemployment of the Lazy

I’m a nurse.. good luck doing that from home lmao
While medical is different than "service" it's already happening in your industry. Dr office visits are already going virtual. X-rays can be reviewed from home.

While medical is different than "service" it's already happening in your industry. Dr office visits are already going virtual. X-rays can be reviewed from home.
Ok look, no need to ‘mansplain’..it is well known MDs cannot do accurate assessments via Facetime… I cannot change or start an IV via FaceTime and ypu can take your condescension way over there.

I think you may have a limited understanding of what can get done from home if you believe this. Service industry is being replaced more rapidly than jobs like mine

Shutting down isn’t necessarily being replaced.

I think you may have a limited understanding of what can get done from home if you believe this. Service industry is being replaced more rapidly than jobs like mine

Do tell, what services?

Ok look, no need to ‘mansplain’..it is well known MDs cannot do accurate assessments via Facetime… I cannot change or start an IV via FaceTime and ypu can take your condescension way over there.

As soon as you stop commenting on things you don't understand. The poster you quoted is in the exact same boat every time this pops up

Shutting down isn’t necessarily being replaced.
They still exist and those who figure out how to do it with less people will keep going. The cashier is much more likely to lose their job than someone supporting their applications

Right before I retired my plant was doing some major network changes separating the admin side from the production side to protect against outside hacking. I'm not a network engineer, but I know enough to make me dangerous, and there were a lot of problems along the way. The real kick in the pants was the network guru that fixed the stuff our network people couldn't figure out was in India and we had to work around his sleep schedule when big changes were made.
Apparently since I've left most of the network management and a lot of IT work has been out sourced. Those used to be high paying jobs, now, not so much.

Reactions: AM64
Self checkout, tablets, etc are replacing many service jobs. Places like grocery stores and self storage places can go completely unmanned. It's coming

Unskilled/retail service jobs I agree.

When people used to work in an office for 8+ hours a day and commute it was hard for them to hold down a second full time job. When the lazy slobs "work from home" today, they mean put in 3 or 4 hours a day in their underwear. Take another job working 3 or 4 hours a day and they get to almost work as hard as a normal American does and double their salary. One of my Neighbors "works from home" and spends most of his days piddling with his cars.
You mad?

I found this article thread worthy. Apparently, the stay at home generation has found a new way to fleece corporate America by working 2 stay at home jobs. I guess when you only work a few hours a day, why not get a second only work a few hours a day job and double your income.

Secret 'overemployment' grows as a remote work trend, but risks are involved
I'm all for sticking it to The Man. These elites that rule over us fleece us all day with no Vaseline and we are supposed to get bent out of shape if the common man finds an angle to scratch out a few more dollars?

You know what happens when people start working from home don't you? They become disposable employees that can be sourced from any country in the world. Sorry Jerry, we're going to let you go because Wong Dang or Vicaswamy Rahmdi is willing to work twice as long for half as much. We're F'n ourselves every day and don't even see what we're doing.
Now I have said that before when all of the lockdowns started. I also predicted that employers may be tempted to cut paid leave or even adjust pay to make up for the convenience of people working from home.

All I can say is that most people working from home won't have a job 5 years from now. If you can do your job at home, some Indian or Chinese person will do it cheaper and put your ass out of work.
Things have been moving in that direction for a while even before COVID, only now these companies have a convenient excuse to outsource.

Rewarded how?

As I explained pur generation has a different set of values. Money is nice, but not the end all be all. Titles are absolutely meaningless, I am a licensed architect now, I can finally legally call myself one, it did not change a single thing I do in my job.

A promotion that requires me to work more, even if it pays more, is not going to be considered a reward. What's the point of making more money if I cant do anything with it, and dont enjoy it?

Or take me for instance. I am a real good "doer" at my job. So I got "promoted" new shiny title, with new responsibilities, but no real wage increase and no reset expectations with the new responsibilities. That doesnt feel like a reward. I am now a "manager" type, but what my projects need is a "doer" but I dont have one because the only doer was me, and now I have to manage, because there was no one that was managing the project. It's kinda like the Peter Principle but throw in enjoyment as well. There are plenty of times I feel like I am being punished for being good at my job, that's not a reward. Makes mom and dad happy, they think it means something, but at best I am indifferent, at worse it's a negative in my mindset.

What are the values that you have that are different?

I would not work hard for the sake of a title. I’d bust my bust for the sake of big money. That changes everything and goes a long way towards enabling a person to enjoy what they value, whatever that might be.

They still exist and those who figure out how to do it with less people will keep going. The cashier is much more likely to lose their job than someone supporting their applications

Sounds like a pitch to a business with folks working from home.

It's definitely a different mindset in most of the younger generation. I was raised/brought up to work my ass off and pay my dues while young betting that it would pay off in my 40s/50s. That's not the case with my kids generation and I'm starting to see their reasoning.
When you were growing up, the idea of working 30-40 years with one company and raising a family of 4 on one income was a reasonable expectation. Companies share in the disintegration of the work culture a bit more than the workers.

It's definitely a different mindset in most of the younger generation. I was raised/brought up to work my ass off and pay my dues while young betting that it would pay off in my 40s/50s. That's not the case with my kids generation and I'm starting to see their reasoning.
When you were growing up, the idea of working 30-40 years with one company and raising a family of 4 on one income was a reasonable expectation. Companies share in the disintegration of the work culture a bit more than the workers.

Reactions: VolStrom
Now I have said that before when all of the lockdowns started. I also predicted that employers may be tempted to cut paid leave or even adjust pay to make up for the convenience of people working from home.
They've polled workers and many would take a pay cut to stay at home. Maybe these companies realize they don't need the cost of huge buildings and can save money that way. I work in a nice bldg downtown with a free cafeteria for lunch. Shutting that down should save some money

I have no problem with hourly employees filling up their day, salaried employees need to devote their 8/40 otherwise it's theft if they are working for someone else and not putting in their 40. That said, I understand why it's happening and if the employer is good with it I don't have a dog in the hunt.
Maybe the model is not to be paid for 40 hours but be paid by the task...

VN Store

Back