Overemployment of the Lazy

Maybe the model is not to be paid for 40 hours but be paid by the task...
That was a very successful business model for a lot of companies like Nucor Steel and maybe it still is. Minimum wage for the hours worked and every pound over a base amount put money in people's pockets. Not a place I'd want to work, but people can make a lot of money this way.

Reactions: AM64 and Wireless1
When you were growing up, the idea of working 30-40 years with one company and raising a family of 4 on one income was a reasonable expectation. Companies share in the disintegration of the work culture a bit more than the workers.

I'm not that old.

Yes, I agree loyalty goes both ways and employers share a large portion of the blame.

Reactions: AM64
They've polled workers and many would take a pay cut to stay at home. Maybe these companies realize they don't need the cost of huge buildings and can save money that way. I work in a nice bldg downtown with a free cafeteria for lunch. Shutting that down should save some money

I thought we'd see more companies shutting down their offices post covid but I don't think it's going to happen. More and more people are being called back into the office.

I thought we'd see more companies shutting down their offices post covid but I don't think it's going to happen. More and more people are being called back into the office.
Companies are way more efficient when employees can collaborate in person or walk down the hall and ask a quick question. I really don't understand the work from home crowd that thinks they are as efficient as in office employees.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
Companies are way more efficient when employees can collaborate in person or walk down the hall and ask a quick question. I really don't understand the work from home crowd that thinks they are as efficient as in office employees.

A ton to be said for this. I’m not 100% against work from home. But there is a lot to be gained from in person interactions.

Reactions: AM64 and hog88
I'd love to pay my people like fishermen get paid.
Have you heard of PCI (Performance Contracting Inc)? I think they are in the same business as you are. My company used to hire them, and they would show up with 50 people on day one and by the end of the week they had maybe 5-10 people left.

Have you heard of PCI (Performance Contracting Inc)? I think they are in the same business as you are. My company used to hire them, and they would show up with 50 people on day one and by the end of the week they had maybe 5-10 people left.

I've never heard of them.

They can literally click a button and be talking with this person right away. Even click on multiple people. It's amazing. You don't even have to leave your chair. My wife does it all day long. It's freaking more efficient

They can literally click a button and be talking with this person right away. Even click on multiple people. It's amazing. You don't even have to leave your chair. My wife does it all day long. It's freaking more efficient
Yep amazing isn't it? I suppose you love screen to screen interactions. Society is not made up of zoom calls, it's made from face to face time every day for decades.

Yep amazing isn't it? I suppose you love screen to screen interactions. Society is not made up of zoom calls, it's made from face to face time every day for decades.
It can be both. But scream into the clouds if you want. World is moving and changing with or without you. And it doesn't care what you or I think. But the trend is undeniable.

Sense man kind started walking upright society has changed millions of times. I don't know why you are shocked it's changing again. Or assume it's bad. But in everyone of those previous millions of changes there were people who pooped on it, said it was dumb, said it would be the end of us, and yet here we are. Change is hard. I get it.

I'm guessing there are leases, owned buildings, etc that have to be handled. Wonder if a lot of office space comes open in the next 5yrs

That's simply an opinion without data when really the same can easily be handled with a teams call. There's little difference except maybe some of the office small talk has been eliminated

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
I'm guessing there are leases, owned buildings, etc that have to be handled. Wonder if a lot of office space comes open in the next 5yrs

Good question. My thoughts are it will either boomerang back to almost everyone forced back into the office or tons of office space being converted to residential or retail.

That's because there are a bunch of boomers and older GenX people in management that are still clinging on to the old paradigm. Bird dogging...

That's because there are a bunch of boomers and older GenX people in management that are still clinging on to the old paradigm. Bird dogging...

There's some of that no doubt but there is also a lot of dummies out there posting on social media showing themselves at the pool, on the lake/ beach ext when they should be working.

one of these days you're gonna meet that special someone who inspires you to work longer hours, give them all your money just to keep that person quiet so you can spend as much time away from them as possible
Lol. Or I could be like you and just dip in on the crazy as needed.

VN Store

Back