Paying Players Deal

So this brings in the question of contracts and trades, will these become part of college athletics?

It will have little or no effect in NIL.

An analogy is that if the NFL raised the Chief's salary cap, it would have zero effect on Patrick Mahomes' endorsement deals with State Farm.

Paying college athletes shouldn't move the NIL needle much, if at all. Two completely different sources of income.
If anything it will mean more NIL money for the better athletes because there won't be as much pressure to provide NIL deals for everyone on the team

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
The schools that can’t compete moneywise will get the scraps, just like how it’s been before. The top programs get the best, and the lower programs get what’s left. I don’t understand how money changes that.
If the smaller schools are required to pay players, they might drop football altogether -- or else quite a few of the nonrevenue sports.

That’s what it would have to be. But I can’t figure out what incentive the NFL has to pay players early.
How could an NFL team pay a player while they are in college, with the expectation that they will sign said player when they leave college? The draft would negate that because of the pecking order of the draft, trades made before the draft, player getting an injury in college that ends their football future. I don't see how NFL teams could possibly incentivize college players.

IF the NFL can't control the draft and where players get selected they won't invest in this at all. That's a good thing.

Wait until the Nicos of the world just start tweeting they'd stay for an extra $2 million.... Gofundme's for college football?

Seems the NCAA and the big conferences have come to terms about paying players. Will it make NIL less a mess? Got no idea. I expect CFB to officially become NFL farm teams, more so than ever. Meaning? Don't be surprised in NFL itself, or its teams individually, start investing in players early by contributing to the money pot, pre-draft contracts, or some other crazy stuff to assure they get players they covet. Overtly that is, as I suspect it already happens somewhat, under the table.
Source:
This is a huge step towards getting some level of order to the current chaos. NIL/Portal is currently the wild wild west evidenced best by the Jaden Rashada situation right now. It wont be perfect but it at least gets better and everyone can stop the posturing. I know everyone want the NCAA gone asap but its a bad idea for all until something else can at least take some structured form. This allows at least the framework of something to be established. And some transition period to happen. But honestly, the NCAA ain't going anywhere there is too much power and money involved on all sides.

How could an NFL team pay a player while they are in college, with the expectation that they will sign said player when they leave college? The draft would negate that because of the pecking order of the draft, trades made before the draft, player getting an injury in college that ends their football future. I don't see how NFL teams could possibly incentivize college players.
Take the MLB route. Draft them out of high school to play for your farm college team and then you own them earlier at cheaper price.

That’s what it would have to be. But I can’t figure out what incentive the NFL has to pay players early.
NIL at professional level. More players jumping around as a result. Or NIL, but a bigger mess. I don't blame the players. If the schools , NCAA, and those affiliated hadn't been so greedy and exploitative to begin with, we'd not likely have this chaos. Long live capitalism!!!!!

Dadof2Vols, gets it. When it comes to big money, wherever there is a will, or more greed, a way will be found. Blessed is capitalism!

Last edited:
So, will this mean contracts with players? Over 3 or 4 years? Will it kill the transfer portal or will teams have to pay damages to other schools buy outs for breaking the contract?
Yes. I think it will mean contracts and a "salary cap" of sorts. It almost has to be that way.

Yes, changed to be over. Just a matter of time now. Maybe 4-5 years.

A lot of schools will do the math and just give up. Can't blame them.

Some will. Thats why it’s funny when you see the smallest football programs “unionizing”, because they’re signing their death warrant.

Major programs? No.

I bet Jeremy Pruitt is pissed.
Fact of life: cheaters are gonna cheat.

Corollary: dumb cheaters are gonna get caught cheating.

If paying players were legal back then, Pruitt would've been caught cheating in whatever other way he pursued.

It's just who he is. He got nothing to be pissed off about.

Go Vols!

Reactions: Tman44
Fact of life: cheaters are gonna cheat.

Corollary: dumb cheaters are gonna get caught cheating.

If paying players were legal back then, Pruitt would've been caught cheating in whatever other way he pursued.

It's just who he is. He got nothing to be pissed off about.

Go Vols!
Pruitt was pissed bc Tennessee turned him in. Everywhere else he had been (Florida State, Georgia, Bama) had covered for him. An interesting question is if Pruitt were winning at a high percentage if he ever gets turned in? If Pruitt were Haslam’s hire if he ever gets turned in for cheating?

Not saying Pruitt was intelligent about anything but in the past he never had to be.

Take the MLB route. Draft them out of high school to play for your farm college team and then you own them earlier at cheaper price.
That's the only way I can think of too . . . They'd have to change the draft to let teams acquire rights to players before they leave college.

Where will the players be considered to be domiciled for tax purposes? If they're considered to be residents of the state where they play and are paid the states with no income tax will be at an advantage, especially for those will very large incomes.

Pruitt was pissed bc Tennessee turned him in. Everywhere else he had been (Florida State, Georgia, Bama) had covered for him. An interesting question is if Pruitt were winning at a high percentage if he ever gets turned in? If Pruitt were Haslam’s hire if he ever gets turned in for cheating?

Not saying Pruitt was intelligent about anything but in the past he never had to be.
You're right: in the past, he never had to be. In the past he always had top cover in the form of a head coach who knew how to keep things behind the curtains.

And once he was the HMFIC, he clearly wasn't smart enough to, for example, keep Neids from talking too much, too publicly. The coaching staff were sloppy, from the HC on down.

Where will the players be considered to be domiciled for tax purposes? If they're considered to be residents of the state where they play and are paid the states with no income tax will be at an advantage, especially for those will very large incomes.

If they are paid to play ball then their pay gets split as a percentage of games played and they pay tax at a different percentage for the state each game is played in.

That’s the way all professional sports players, car drivers and musicians pay tax on their “game/concert” day

So even if they play for UT they would pay no income taxes on games played in Tennessee but different tax rates depending on what states/rates the other games are played in.

They would all need accountants to do their taxes. For all saying pay the players well you get what you asked for. The lowly played players will end up with $12 a game in their pockets….just like I never get rich off of all those class action lawsuits that I’m included in but the lawyers and accountants do.

Reactions: volanatic
Here how some extra dough is being divided to the Universities to help with payroll:

Until there is a bona fide players union and a collective bargaining agreement, I don’t see how this solves much.

There are so many unanswered questions and no guidance on how to deal with them. I could reel off at least 20 issues off the top of my head…. Contracts? Trades? Turning pro early? NIL? How to divide the money among ALL athletes? Etc….

And what happens in 5 years when a completely different crop of players are on the rosters? There is no way they will accept this “deal” as applying to them.

I just see college athletics sliding further into the abyss with no rope in sight. IMO, the players will just keep demanding more and more until the revenue sports (football and basketball) eat themselves. The non-revenue sports might remain viable.

I just see college athletics sliding further into the abyss with no rope in sight. IMO, the players will just keep demanding more and more until the revenue sports (football and basketball) eat themselves. The non-revenue sports might remain viable.
My apologies in advance but it’s been awhile since I’ve thought of this and your post triggered it into memory.

1716581406836.gif

Reactions: Falcons02

VN Store

Back