Paying Players Deal

Salary cap and player contracts are the next step, along with corporate sponsorship of school stadiums and teams. I think eventually they’ll have no choice but to have NFL like contracts to “fix” the transfer portal free for all.

Salary cap and player contracts are the next step, along with corporate sponsorship of school stadiums and teams. I think eventually they’ll have no choice but to have NFL like contracts to “fix” the transfer portal free for all.
Without an antitrust exemption from Congress??? Very doubtful.

Actually, some states have income tax requirements for out of state folks that work in their state.

• More than half of states with a personal income tax require employers to withhold tax from a nonresident employee’s wages starting from the first day that the employee travels to their state for business.
  • Other states have a threshold that must be reached before income tax is withheld for nonresident employees.
  • In some cases, employees could also be legally required to file an income tax return in every state they travel to for work, even if it’s just for one day
That's still advantage to athletes from states that have no state income tax. No state taxes on 7 of 12 regular season games, plus any home playoff game.

If the smaller schools are required to pay players, they might drop football altogether -- or else quite a few of the nonrevenue sports.

big schools will have to drop some sports in ordered to pay players. Adding expenses to AD budgets means cost has to drop or revenue needs to dramatically increase for the added expenses. Only 25 Athletic Departments made a profit on the last report I saw. And that is the normal number that are profitable every year... around 25. So how are the non-profitable one's going to pay?

Reactions: Gandalf
Not necessarily. They would get paid in Tennessee regardless of home or away games. I'm pretty sure that

means no state income taxes.
You could be right but they would then be the exception as that is not how it works for professional athletes including car drivers and performers. They get taxed in the state they entertain.

So we should change our schedule to a home and away with Memphis, Vandy, ETSU, Chattanooga, Austin Peay, and UT Martin every year?

Think of the taxes our Vols would avoid. 😂😂😂
Just play all games every year in Neyland. Refuse to
Play road games in states with income taxes is the answer. Bowl games must be held in either Tax free states.

The schools that can’t compete moneywise will get the scraps, just like how it’s been before. The top programs get the best, and the lower programs get what’s left. I don’t understand how money changes that.
Money, and the desire to have more, changes EVERYTHING

Wonder what their pension package is going look like?
If they are considered employees of UT they will have to contribute to Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System.
However you must be in TCRS for 60 months/5 years to be vested. So most will never receive any pension from the state.

Reactions: Gandalf
The following are my thoughts/opinions, in no way saying they’re absolutely accurate or the best options, but here goes:

1. This being the case there will likely be a “salary cap” eventually.
2. NIL collectives will become more important than ever to make up differences needed (as I still maintain this is essentially equivalent to “endorsements”, thus can’t be capped).
3. Due to the nature of college football (there are 4 - 5 years of total eligibility {including red-shirt year}), portal limitations are also in the future … not sure what that will look like ; will have advantages disadvantages, but put some responsibility on the decision of where to go. Maybe a 1 time only transfer or may only transfer after completing “X”amount of time or some other circumstantial situation. Also likely exceptions for coaching changes, etc. May or may not lead to a little more roster stability.
4. Will be interesting to see what if any impact this has on the decision to jump to the NFL early or stay all 4 years.

As I said… all speculation on my part and not saying these are necessarily the best pathways forward given the rapidly changing landscape of college football… definitely gonna be interesting to see how it plays out, I just know the NCAA (& definitely their current leadership) should have very little say in shaping this. They’re a bunch of complete and total morons. Planning on this should be left to the AD’s.

The question is which non rev sports are a must keep for you and what non rev sports do you want to see first on the chopping block.

Obviously FB & MBB are money makers. WBB makes money sometimes but a lot of sports gonna go when this is over.

We saw smaller schools cut non rev sports as part of Covid so get ready for Athletic Budget changes.

in 2022 cycle, men's basketball had a 5 million profit. Football had a huge profit (69 Million if I recall correctly). Every other program (18 of them) lost money. Baseball lost almost 2 million and had sell outs.

So we don't need spyre anymore. Just donate to the school.

expect the donations for ticket opportunities to increase dramatically as well as the cost of tickets to attend. Tennessee had an 11 million dollar surplus last fiscal year which means they had half of the required 22 million to pay athletes.

As employees of the State of Tennessee, they'll be prevented from collective bargaining. The same wouldn't apply to Vandy though.

They will also be a part of the budget that the State legislature has to approve each year.

NIL at professional level. More players jumping around as a result. Or NIL, but a bigger mess. I don't blame the players. If the schools , NCAA, and those affiliated hadn't been so greedy and exploitative to begin with, we'd not likely have this chaos. Long live capitalism!!!!!

Dadof2Vols, gets it. When it comes to big money, wherever there is a will, or more greed, a way will be found. Blessed is capitalism!
This is not capitalism. We have actually found a way to pay coaches and players multi multi millions of dollars to perform a task they would probably perform for free. I don't know what it is, Capitalism Plus?

Take the MLB route. Draft them out of high school to play for your farm college team and then you own them earlier at cheaper price.
I guess that is one possibility, but most high school kids, regardless of talent, are not physically ready for the grind of Pro football.

Yup. And since Tennessee State employees' salaries rank 45th in the nation, we'll see how that turns out.

That will be the reality of most Universities. Many of them are operated and funded by the states with the employees paid from the states. In the state of Tennessee that implies the sales tax we pay will be used to pay athletes. I'm assuming for the campus locations where athletics made a profit, the structure will allow the AD's to add dollars into the mix, but that will not be the case for all campus locations. The state funding also is for education as well.

I think a lot of folks just see the revenue from television and such and think these schools are raking in the dollars - they aren't. And the state-owned universities are funded by the state through dollars that everyone pays into.

Would you want the State of Tennessee to take dollars from other programs that provide support to people (who really need help) to pay the athletes? There is a budget they have to balance to.

Bottom line this plan is not as good as some believe it to be. It is more or less the start of the end. Better enjoy the coming season or two while they last.

VN Store

Back