Paying Players Deal

The question is which non rev sports are a must keep for you and what non rev sports do you want to see first on the chopping block.

Obviously FB & MBB are money makers. WBB makes money sometimes but a lot of sports gonna go when this is over.

We saw smaller schools cut non rev sports as part of Covid so get ready for Athletic Budget changes.

The question is which non rev sports are a must keep for you and what non rev sports do you want to see first on the chopping block.

Obviously FB & MBB are money makers. WBB makes money sometimes but a lot of sports gonna go when this is over.

We saw smaller schools cut non rev sports as part of Covid so get ready for Athletic Budget changes.

Title IX says “hold my beer”

The coaches/boosters always cheat when money is involved. Anything you can imagine they are doing as the stakes get higher to get what they want. I am sure the under-table stuff has just dropped down to the junior high or early high school levels, but its still there. The only thing that can stop this runaway train is when universities start going bankrupt.

Reactions: UT Hill Man
If they are paid to play ball then their pay gets split as a percentage of games played and they pay tax at a different percentage for the state each game is played in.

That’s the way all professional sports players, car drivers and musicians pay tax on their “game/concert” day

So even if they play for UT they would pay no income taxes on games played in Tennessee but different tax rates depending on what states/rates the other games are played in.

They would all need accountants to do their taxes. For all saying pay the players well you get what you asked for. The lowly played players will end up with $12 a game in their pockets….just like I never get rich off of all those class action lawsuits that I’m included in but the lawyers and accountants do.
Not necessarily. They would get paid in Tennessee regardless of home or away games. I'm pretty sure that

means no state income taxes.

Dose Title IX apply to employees?

If so, start a women's football team and have them play home games when the men are away or in bye weeks.

If not, then it would only apply to Olympic sports.

Dose Title IX apply to employees?

If so, start a women's football team and have them play home games when the men are away or in bye weeks.

If not, then it would only apply to Olympic sports.

I wouldn’t want to argue that side. I suspect it would lose in a very bad way.

Here’s a more likely Title IX issue…. Do the non revenue women’s sports have to be paid the same as the football players?

Lawyers are going to have an absolute field day with all of this. The litigation is just getting started IMO.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols
Yes, changed to be over. Just a matter of time now. Maybe 4-5 years.

A lot of schools will do the math and just give up. Can't blame them.

Eventually it will lead to less opportunity for many athletes to participate in college sports which also implies no free paid for education for many of them.

Reactions: Dadof2Vols

I wouldn’t want to argue that side. I suspect it would lose in a very bad way.

Here’s a more likely Title IX issue…. Do the non revenue women’s sports have to be paid the same as the football players?

Lawyers are going to have an absolute field day with all of this. The litigation is just getting started IMO.

Agree - if there is not equal opportunities, there will be challenges. There is just not enough money.

Not necessarily. They would get paid in Tennessee regardless of home or away games. I'm pretty sure that

means no state income taxes.

Actually, some states have income tax requirements for out of state folks that work in their state.

• More than half of states with a personal income tax require employers to withhold tax from a nonresident employee’s wages starting from the first day that the employee travels to their state for business.
  • Other states have a threshold that must be reached before income tax is withheld for nonresident employees.
  • In some cases, employees could also be legally required to file an income tax return in every state they travel to for work, even if it’s just for one day

Reactions: Dadof2Vols and EZE
Actually, some states have income tax requirements for out of state folks that work in their state.

• More than half of states with a personal income tax require employers to withhold tax from a nonresident employee’s wages starting from the first day that the employee travels to their state for business.
  • Other states have a threshold that must be reached before income tax is withheld for nonresident employees.
  • In some cases, employees could also be legally required to file an income tax return in every state they travel to for work, even if it’s just for one day
So, if the athletes are pit on salary rather than hourly, would that technicality avoid the "paid in another state for road games" issue?

Last edited:
Agree - if there is not equal opportunities, there will be challenges. There is just not enough money.
Predictions:

1. Capitalism being what it is, if the pie isn't big enough for everybody to have a slice, the fat cats will take the biggest slice.
2. The current political and social climate has increasing insensitivity to equality in general.
3. Laws and regulations relating to equality in college sports will be ignored, circumvented, or discarded.
History and human nature assured me of this.

Correct. Pro athletes pay taxes in every state that they play games…not just the state where their team is located.

Predictions:

1. Capitalism being what it is, if the pie isn't big enough for everybody to have a slice, the fat cats will take the biggest slice.
2. The current political and social climate has increasing insensitivity to equality in general.
3. Laws and regulations relating to equality in college sports will be ignored, circumvented, or discarded.
History and human nature assured me of this.

Title IX > Capitalism

Anyone thinking that this latest “settlement” cures all issues is likely in for a surprise

Reactions: volfan102455
Correct. Pro athletes pay taxes in every state that they play games…not just the state where their team is located.
So we should change our schedule to a home and away with Memphis, Vandy, ETSU, Chattanooga, Austin Peay, and UT Martin every year?

Think of the taxes our Vols would avoid. 😂😂😂

Part of me is looking forward to the first players strike.
As employees of the State of Tennessee, they'll be prevented from collective bargaining. The same wouldn't apply to Vandy though.

Last edited:
So we should change our schedule to a home and away with Memphis, Vandy, ETSU, Chattanooga, Austin Peay, and UT Martin every year?

Think of the taxes our Vols would avoid. 😂😂😂

I get your point. But…you play a game in Texas…you pay for taxes for a percentage of your salary in Texas.

VN Store

Back