Phil Just Got Served?

I'll probably get slammed for this...but I don't get the whole unwritten code stop snitchin stuff. I can't think of an instance where I've ever had to do it...but if I felt that it was needed, I don't think I would feel some moral commitment to keeping quiet.....at some level things need checks to balance.
I agree. Maybe somebody should come up with a t shirt that says something along the lines of "Stop Perpetrating"....

Fulmer refused to discuss the subpeona during radio interviews before the carvan picnic in Nashville, but it is being reported that he made a statement saying that he was served he just did not look at the paper at the time he received it.

The go vols extra article indicates that he has spoken with his attorney about it now...once he had a chance to look at the document.

I have to say, it's disappointing that Fulmer had this subpoena all along and denied it to everyone. I'm not buying that he didn't know what it was. Even if that were true, after all of the media attention today Fulmer would have eventually gone to Bud Ford at some point and said, uh... we better take a look at that piece of paper I handed to you.

Not to mention that Bud Ford went on record to Jimmy Hyams today and said he was with Fulmer all day and didn't know anything about any supoena.

In my mind, it would have been better if Fulmer would have just declined comment.

I have to say, it's disappointing that Fulmer had this subpoena all along and denied it to everyone. I'm not buying that he didn't know what it was. Even if that were true, after all of the media attention today Fulmer would have eventually gone to Bud Ford at some point and said, uh... we better take a look at that piece of paper I handed to you.

Not to mention that Bud Ford went on record to Jimmy Hyams today and said he was with Fulmer all day and didn't know anything about a subpoena.

In my mind, it would have been better if Fulmer would have just declined comment.

To me, this is the worst part. Fulmer could have certainly believed it was a hoax...and he was obviously mad about it...it was obvious it happened. His story is at least plausible that he did not take a look at the document until later...

...now, suggesting that the whole thing didn't happen...that there was no instance of someone approaching him...that's ridiculous.

Not to mention that Bud Ford went on record to Jimmy Hyams today and said he was with Fulmer all day and didn't know anything about it.

I agree, but I think Fulmer thought it might detract from the whole Media Days agenda. He still should of admitted though and been honest. Isn't that one of the recruiting methods he uses, being honest??

Personally, I just wish this would go away. I find it sad that the current Tennessee vs. Alabama game is tainted by the last 6 or so years of this drama. I see nothing good or constructive coming from this.

I agree, but I think Fulmer thought it might detract from the whole Media Days agenda. He still should of admitted though and been honest. Isn't that one of the recruiting methods he uses, being honest??

Him denying it detracted more from media day than if he would have just declined to comment.

Him denying it detracted more from media day than if he would have just declined to comment.
Sometimes I think Phil's mastery of decorum leaves a little to be desired. Of course, that can be said about a lot of folks... :eek:lol:

Yes. Of course, this was literally dropped in his lap out of the blue just before walking into a hotel full of media. I can see how it panned-out the way it did although it could've been handled better. Does Fulmer travel with "handlers" at these events? You'd think that someone gets paid to advise him on keeping his foot out of his mouth.

I'm sure your schedule is pretty busy during media days...and I'm sure that he really wanted to talk to his lawyer sooner than he did...it's not an easy situation...and he obviously didn't handle it as well as he should have, unfortunately. But...like I said, it's not an easy situation.

Fulmer's reported response -- that he hadn't seen it and to move on to football topics -- wasn't very well thought out. He should have just said that its a matter in litigation and that he does not comment on those, imagines that the attorneys will soon, and that he'd be glad to answer any questions about the football team.

But a glib answer ... not the way to go IMO.

Not to mention that Bud Ford went on record to Jimmy Hyams today and said he was with Fulmer all day and didn't know anything about any supoena.

Hey VF, nice copycatting there, pal! :birgits_giggle:

So most coaches are best friends with their conference rivals? I'm not buying that Fulmer's relationship with other coaches is atypical from anyone else's.

I'll bet Buzz Peterson has lots of friends. :)
Arguably Bob Huggins' best friends in coaching are John Calipari, Charlie Spoonhour, and Kevin O'Neill, all of whom were at one point conference rivals of his. Bob Knight and Rick Barnes are exceptionally close. Cal and Eustachy are tight. It's not uncommon. However, being an informant tends to relieve one of that type of esprit de corps.

Yes. Of course, this was literally dropped in his lap out of the blue just before walking into a hotel full of media. I can see how it panned-out the way it did although it could've been handled better. Does Fulmer travel with "handlers" at these events? You'd think that someone gets paid to advise him on keeping his foot out of his mouth.

Yep...but Fulmer better hope his closets don't have any skeletons hanging around....

Sure, but everyone wants to control their press coverage. Do you think mark Richt wanted to talk about the post TD celebration penalty in the UF game? I doubt it, but he did. I think anything touching on football is fair game at these events and the lawsuit is obviously wrapped-up in SEC recruiting practices (a football subject).

Are you defending him? :)

I know, it was a very difficult situation but he was just so adamant about it.

I remember you saying Pearl and Fulmer's situations were different (aka you didn't classify Pearl as a rat, but did Phil)

Still feel that way?
I still feel the situations are different. That said, I still understand the vitriol Illini fans have for Pearl.

Tainted, nah. It adds to it, if anything.

I do not know, maybe. I just remember the winner of this game being the big dawg of the SEC and I am not referring to Georgia. I just wish the game were back to two of the SEC greats slugging it out. I am sick and tired of the ‘Bama cheated’ and ‘Phil’ crap. I hate the Orange because it is Tennessee and not because of who is coaching.

I know that, but I think he REALLY didn't know what to do so he played it the wrong way. It's a negative for Bammer as much as it is for us. Fulmer not being honest in light of the media will certainly bring him grief just like this tasteless subpoena will for Bammer.

Hey VF, nice copycatting there, pal! :birgits_giggle:
You're scaring me. :lol:

Arguably Bob Huggins' best friends in coaching are John Calipari, Charlie Spoonhour, and Kevin O'Neill, all of whom were at one point conference rivals of his. Bob Knight and Rick Barnes are exceptionally close. Cal and Eustachy are tight. It's not uncommon. However, being an informant tends to relieve one of that type of esprit de corps.

Honestly hat, I don't even know what you are arguing here. Do I think coaches have 'friends' in coaching? Sure I do and I believe Fulmer has as many as the next guy. You want to argue "real friends" but I'm not sure what that is. Dinner and a movie? :)

In reality, I don't care if Fulmer has other coaching pals that would take a bullet for him or not. Nor do I care if he chooses not to associate with other coaches. I won't speculate on the reasons for either.

However, if you want to throw him in the informant category, I'm fine with that. He has the company of some highly successful and respected coaches.

I know that, but I think he REALLY didn't know what to do so he played it the wrong way. It's a negative for Bammer as much as it is for us. Fulmer not being honest in light of the media will certainly bring him grief just like this tasteless subpoena will for Bammer.

Isn't that what I just said? :dunno:

VN Store

Back