Phil Just Got Served?

at least mine uses the facts presented. If you see errors based the available docs please point them out

How so? You admitted he knew he was served. Your original argument doesn't hold water.

If Fulmer actually didn't know what was laid on his lap then a subpeona at media days is the least of our worries.

Why should he? The media sessions are about football (you know, his job) and not that crap. He is smart enough to know that he could release a statement afterwards when he had actually read the piece of paper some cowardly server threw in his lap.

I give you a lot of credit for supporting Phil in what was a tough day for him, PJ....

Being in the media to some degree, I see a bunch that I think he did wrong.

In the scope of things, this issue matters little of course, and very soon it will be a distant thought compared to the more important things looming on the field.

Good debate though...:eek:k:

I just hope it lights a fire under him. :)

A cranky Phil is a dangerous Phil
-Mark Richt 2007

I give you a lot of credit for supporting Phil in what was a tough day for him, PJ....

Being in the media to some degree, I see a bunch that I think he did wrong.

In the scope of things, this issue matters little of course, and very soon it will be a distant thought compared to the more important things looming on the field.

Good debate though...:eek:k:

There are as I see it three issues here:

1. Was the service of subpoena done in showboat fashion? I am tempted to say yes, though they could have done it as he was speaking to the press or on camera. And, given that they could only do it when he was in-state, I guess I'm not all that put off by it.

2. Is there any point to it? That to me is the $64,000 question. Been some speculation about the reason for questioning him. I can't see the entire lawsuit being concocted just to embarrass UT. Seems absurd. My suspicion is that the may want to drive a wedge between the NCAA and CPF, either as to the propriety of any deal that was struck or as to the accuracy of what the NCAA claims CPF told them.

3. Did CPF publicly respond to the subpoena in a good way? Honestly, I don't think so. I prefer the no comment stance, too. Let the lawyers and the PR people handle it. But I'm not sure that there was time for calmer voices to instruct him on that. He may well have been caught so off guard that he just didn't think it through and I can understand that. So, he gets points off for form, but not many.

Yep :)

I actually think this helps our team down the road, and will give us even more motivation to win the SEC title.

I don't see how a subpoena served to CPF through an Alabama law firm gives our team more motivation to win the SEC. Most of the guys on the team were like 9-13 when all this stuff happened.

There are as I see it three issues here:

1. Was the service of subpoena done in showboat fashion?

I don't think there is any doubt that this was legal grandstanding.

A/ The comments of Blankenship in the AP article of yesterday showed the man was palying the stage to the nth degree.

B/ The reporting I saw in one of the myriad pieces I read yesterday saying that, I think it was the firm's intern(Linton) handed out copies of the document to a few media members.

2. Is there any point to it?
VHB seems the most informed on the dynamics of the case, but how can there be?.. I've read that the case was remanded to appeals, which makes it pretty much dormant, right?

And this thing goes all the way back to 2000. No action was possible any sooner?

3. Did CPF publicly respond to the subpoena in a good way?
To pic nits, it's not how he responded to the subpoena, but how he responded to questions about a subpoena... and here a veteran of the workings of the press showed himself to be a poor responder when an audible gets called on his preparation. Fulmer's agitative responses showed the media that the issue got to him. My opinion, his getting bugged was not at all a positive thing.

I give him considerably lower marks here than you deem worthy.

That's OK though, there are many takes on what transpired yesterday...

ur rite dude!!! If fulmer got fired or suspended or somethin that would be the best day of my liffee!!!:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah! Here is a true fan, hoping for the coach to get suspended knowing it could possibly bring sanctions to the team he roots for. I can understand not liking Fulmer but do you also see what that would do to our football program in the short term?:no:

Here's local sports writer's take on media days, including a few remarks on the subpoena business. Says the process server dressed up as a Tennessee fan. Hadn't heard that before.

SEC reigns above all others, and it isn't a close call -- OrlandoSentinel.com

In college, I worked two summers as a runner for a law firm, and occasionally my duties included service (mainly on corporations.) It was interesting to hear some of the strategies employed to serve those attempting to avoid it.

My favorite was a certain country music star who had a gated home and refused to let the server through. After staking out said star for over a week, the server finally got her at the drive-through at Kentucky Fried Chicken.

If that is true, that is absolutely over the line. Is there not any sort of guidelines on how someone is to be served?

Why is that over the line? A server can't wear orange? You don't want to break the law in performing service, but the only guideline I know is that you have to present the subpoena.

Here's local sports writer's take on media days, including a few remarks on the subpoena business. Says the process server dressed up as a Tennessee fan. Hadn't heard that before.

SEC reigns above all others, and it isn't a close call -- OrlandoSentinel.com

This is the league that draws the most fans and makes the most money. This is without question the No. 1 league in college football.

And there is no No. 2. If the SEC is the King of Hearts, everybody else is the 6 of Clubs.

thats pretty good

If that is true, that is absolutely over the line. Is there not any sort of guidelines on how someone is to be served?

I think it's funny that the server probably had to donate money to the Univ by buying new UT clothes.

Unless that was an underhanded comment about Tennessee fashion...

thats pretty good

He's a decent writer, though he aggravates me plenty over the course of the year because he is a diehard Hurricanes fan and always finds something to snidely criticize the Gators for, deserved or not.

Also, if you ever hear him on the car radio, you will want to drive yourself into the first sturdy lightpole you can find. Incredibly shrill voice.

I don't see how a subpoena served to CPF through an Alabama law firm gives our team more motivation to win the SEC. Most of the guys on the team were like 9-13 when all this stuff happened.

Well maybe not the players but I really think this makes CPF more determined to win the SEC title. It seems like he always coaches well when hes backed into a corner, and when everyone is on his case.

Why is that over the line? A server can't wear orange? You don't want to break the law in performing service, but the only guideline I know is that you have to present the subpoena.

I missed the part in any of these articles where he was told he was being served a subpoena. Apparently a guy dressed as a fan came up to the vehicle door and said, "I've got something special for you" and then tossed it in his lap. That is in no shape or form a presentation of a subpoena.

He's a decent writer, though he aggravates me plenty over the course of the year because he is a diehard Hurricanes fan and always finds something to snidely criticize the Gators for, deserved or not.

Also, if you ever hear him on the car radio, you will want to drive yourself into the first sturdy lightpole you can find. Incredibly shrill voice.
wonder if I can subscribe to his blog? :)

I missed the part in any of these articles where he was told he was being served a subpoena. Apparently a guy dressed as a fan came up to the vehicle door and said, "I've got something special for you" and then tossed it in his lap. That is in no shape or form a presentation of a subpoena.

Yes it is.

VN Store

Back