Phillip Fulmer Plaza on the south end of Neyland Stadium

orange_glory

The Tennessee shade of Orange
I was wondering when UT was going to continue updating and remodeling Neyland Stadium? I know the official UT Master Plan page states 2014 if funds are available. Since we are currently broke we will probably have to start winning again before they start the project back up. We will probably have to go to a couple of major bowls and get some money back in here. Anyway, I think they were going to update the south side concourses and make some sort of Gate 10/Southside Plaza. My question is what could UT name the Southside Plaza? My vote is Phillip Fulmer Plaza and have a statue of Fulmer there. We would have both National Championship coaches honored with statues and it would enhance the look of the stadium. What would be your choice for a plaza name?

Reactions: 12 people
I was wondering when UT was going to continue updating and remodeling Neyland Stadium? I know the official UT Master Plan page states 2014 if funds are available. Since we are currently broke we will probably have to start winning again before they start the project back up. We will probably have to go to a couple of major bowls and get some money back in here. Anyway, I think they were going to update the south side concourses and make some sort of Gate 10/Southside Plaza. My question is what could UT name the Southside Plaza? My vote is Phillip Fulmer Plaza and have a statue of Fulmer there. We would have both National Championship coaches honored with statues and it would enhance the look of the stadium. What would be your choice for a plaza name?

Phillip Fulmer Plaza would have my vote. It is sad how a lot of fans choose to forget all the good he did for our University and only remember his last 5 years

Reactions: 29 people
My vote is for a Dooley statue. It could be called wrong way plaza and just take you in a circle back outside but further away from the gates. Orange pants and all on the statue by the way.

Reactions: 13 people
How about naming it Tee Martin Plaza (oh no we can't do that)? How about Jay Graham Plaza (no that will not work)? Probably just need to stick with South Plaza.

My vote is for a Dooley statue. It could be called wrong way plaza and just take you in a circle back outside but further away from the gates. Orange pants and all on the statue by the way.

I almost spewed my oatmeal when I read that. Hilarious

Reactions: 2 people
I mean that way even a casual fan or someone who knew nothing about Tennessee football could get a pretty good history just by visiting one place (Neyland Stadium) Right now Fulmer is not anywhere to be found except on the street sign. When you are inside the stadium you see the six national championship banners, retired jerseys, etc. On the outside you see The Neyland statue and the black and white pictures of former players. Still no Fulmer. I think it would honor a great coach and give a more complete history of our program in just one place.

Reactions: 3 people
How about "sal's pizzeria?" We could use a pie joint in there.

Reactions: 4 people
There are only a handful of figures in UT athletics history that would be deserving of a statue; Neyland, Summit, the servicemen who died in WWII....people whose name's are undeniably associated with greatness.

Fulmer should be remembered fondly and held in higher esteem than some of the fanbase hold him but a statue, no.

He's one of the best coaches we've ever had but I don't think he's deserving of his own permanent likeness on campus.

I have no problem with a Fulmer statue as long as it's put in context. For instance, call it Championship Plaza, or Champions Plaza, and each coach that wins a NC gets a statue. Seems reasonable and could be a good recruiting tool.

Reactions: 6 people

I'm with this, maybe throw in a Krispy Kreme and call it a day.

There are only a handful of figures in UT athletics history that would be deserving of a statue; Neyland, Summit, the servicemen who died in WWII....people whose name's are undeniably associated with greatness.

Fulmer should be remembered fondly and held in higher esteem than some of the fanbase hold him but a statue, no.

He's one of the best coaches we've ever had but I don't think he's deserving of his own permanent likeness on campus.

Wtf does Patt Summit or soldiers who died in WW2 have to do with a football stadium?

I have no problem with a Fulmer statue as long as it's put in context. For instance, call it Championship Plaza, or Champions Plaza, and each coach that wins a NC gets a statue. Seems reasonable and could be a good recruiting tool.

Does a Doug Dickey statue go up on the plaza?

Wtf does Patt Summit or soldiers who died in WW2 have to do with a football stadium?

READ again, I said "athletics"....as for the WWII vets who lost their life, HAVE YOU BEEN TO NEYLAND STADIUM???

EDIT: I don't normally get pissed off by...anything....on this board l, but the level of ignorance in this post should not and cannot be understated. We have retired the numbers of former football players who left college to serve their country and paid the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom. The fact that you question the idea of a statue of those men struck a chord with me.

Learn a little about the history of this state, this university, and this football program before you make an ignorant statement like that again.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 people

Our entire state is named after the idea of honoring those who Volunteered to serve and protect this country.

A few 100 Tennesseans whipped the Brits at Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

Andy Jackson and a group of "Vols" from Tennessee are why you don't need a passport to go to New Orleans.

"Vols" are why you don't need a passport to go to San Antonio.

32,000 men from East Tennessee fought for the Union in the Civil War, which is why your money has the faces on it that it has.

This doesn't even get to the disproportionate representation by our state in all the wars since.

It is a proud, proud legacy and ultimately what be a Volunteer is all about honoring. There is no better symbol of this than the fact that some of General Neyland's players actually gave "their last full measure of devotion" in WWII.

I think a memorial to these players should have been made long ago, and obviously our fan base could use a little "edgicatin'".

Kindly get a clue, sir!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 people

VN Store

Back