Phillip Fulmer Plaza on the south end of Neyland Stadium

He coached at UT in different capacity for 28 years, played here...he put in 32 years, won a national championship, put I don't know how many players in the NFL.

As time goes by, and we get further and further from the 1998 Championship without getting another, folks may start to appreciate that he won 100 more games than he lost and that he went to a bowl game 14 out of 16 years. He finished 1st, tied for 1st, or 2nd in the East 13 out of 16years. His teams finished the season ranked in the top 25(coaches poll) 14 out of 16 times, ( 13/16 AP). Finished ranked in the top 10 six times.

I'm not really for honoring folks while they are still around anyway, all these players getting roads named after them is one thing, a statue is another.

Dickey left. Dickey didn't play here. He coached here 7 years, one losing season and three 8 win teams...8 wins was a mediocre season while Fulmer was here. Dickey was a good AD, better than a coach.
Quality Post

Reactions: 1 person
Why not "Blvd of Champions" or something? I know, I'm not good at naming things.

But since we are selling the "Brick by Brick" motto, why not make the walk-ways out of bricks, each with the name of a former All-American, All-SEC, Academic AA, former team captains, or some combination. We need some way to connect all the previous generations of Volunteers with our present and future teams.

Then when we build it, have an event with all of the former players/coaches that are being honored come and place their bricks, and the family members of deceased Vol greats.

Then when we are recruiting kids, we can say "If you come here and work hard, your brick will be out there for generations to see." It symbolizes the commitment a player put into the University and the dedication he made to reach his goals after school (NFL or the workforce).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
OK, let me play Devil's Advocate here for a moment.

UT does not have the best track record when naming things for living people.

Johnny Majors (Drive south of Stokely) - Majors was fired in '92

Chamique Holdzclaw (Drive south of the football facility) - currently under indictment and awaiting trial.

Philip Fulmer (Way formerly Stadium Drive) - fired in 2009

Tee Martin (Drive under the South End Zone) - turned down an offer to coach at UT just this year.

So far, Todd Helton and Peyton Manning haven't done anything patently stupid, but they are still young.

Then there is Pat Head Summitt (Street west of Music Bldg.) who announced her battle with Alzheimer's shortly after the street was named.

It sounds morbid but it is nearly always a VERY good idea to only name public places or structures after people AFTER those people have passed on.

Call it Tennessee Volunteer Plaza or better yet simply South Plaza and be done with it.

Reactions: 1 person
Our entire state is named after the idea of honoring those who Volunteered to serve and protect this country.

A few 100 Tennesseans whipped the Brits at Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

Andy Jackson and a group of "Vols" from Tennessee are why you don't need a passport to go to New Orleans.

"Vols" are why you don't need a passport to go to San Antonio.

32,000 men from East Tennessee fought for the Union in the Civil War, which is why your money has the faces on it that it has.

This doesn't even get to the disproportionate representation by our state in all the wars since.

It is a proud, proud legacy and ultimately what be a Volunteer is all about honoring. There is no better symbol of this than the fact that some of General Neyland's players actually gave "their last full measure of devotion" in WWII.

I think a memorial to these players should have been made long ago, and obviously our fan base could use a little "edgicatin'".

Kindly get a clue, sir!

:question:

Just curious... What is the inspiration of this post? Kings mountain, "last full measure of devotion", etc

Do you happen to live in the 3rd congressional district?

Regardless of how one feels about Fulmer, I don't know if it would make sense to permanently honor a coach after he was fired. Has any other program ever done that?

It's best to wait and honor the dead. Joe Paterno not only was fired but so was his statue.

Last edited:
It's best to wait and honor the dead. Joe Paterno not only was fired but so was his statue.

True though I doubt Fulmer is going to be outed as covering up a massive molestation scandal in the football program

Of course people would have said the same thing about Paterno three years ago.

VN Store

Back