Phillip Fulmer Plaza on the south end of Neyland Stadium

Al Wilson Plaza has a nice ring to it...

...but seriously, I wouldn't be opposed to honoring Fulmer like that someday, but I think our program needs to fully recover from the downward spiral that began in his final years, before we even consider it.

Reactions: 1 person
Our entire state is named after the idea of honoring those who Volunteered to serve and protect this country.

A few 100 Tennesseans whipped the Brits at Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

Andy Jackson and a group of "Vols" from Tennessee are why you don't need a passport to go to New Orleans.

"Vols" are why you don't need a passport to go to San Antonio.

32,000 men from East Tennessee fought for the Union in the Civil War, which is why your money has the faces on it that it has.

This doesn't even get to the disproportionate representation by our state in all the wars since.

It is a proud, proud legacy and ultimately what be a Volunteer is all about honoring. There is no better symbol of this than the fact that some of General Neyland's players actually gave "their last full measure of devotion" in WWII.

I think a memorial to these players should have been made long ago, and obviously our fan base could use a little "edgicatin'".

Kindly get a clue, sir!

I think this would be a great idea. Maybe even have a wall of plaques with names on it or something that honor former Vols that served or died in the military.

Our entire state is named after the idea of honoring those who Volunteered to serve and protect this country.

A few 100 Tennesseans whipped the Brits at Kings Mountain during the Revolutionary War.

Andy Jackson and a group of "Vols" from Tennessee are why you don't need a passport to go to New Orleans.

32,000 men from East Tennessee fought for the Union in the Civil War, which is why your money has the faces on it that it has.

This doesn't even get to the disproportionate representation by our state in all the wars since.

It is a proud, proud legacy and ultimately what be a Volunteer is all about honoring. There is no better symbol of this than the fact that some of General Neyland's players actually gave "their last full measure of devotion" in WWII.

I think a memorial to these players should have been made long ago, and obviously our fan base could use a little "edgicatin'".

Kindly get a clue, sir!

I love the spirit of this post but one item is glaringly incorrect. When the battle of New Orleans was faught the war was already over. That means that Jackson's victory there has no bearing on the ultimate outcome or anyone's ability to travel to NOLA wwithout a passport. Other than that, I love your vigor.

Does a Doug Dickey statue go up on the plaza?

I count that National Champioship but in reality it is a stretch as only one or two selectors voted us Nat Champs that year. Much like some of Alabama's Nat Champs that they count. So, no I wouldn't put a statue of Dickey up for that but maybe honor him some other way.

I count that National Champioship but in reality it is a stretch as only one or two selectors voted us Nat Champs that year. Much like some of Alabama's Nat Champs that they count. So, no I wouldn't put a statue of Dickey up for that but maybe honor him some other way.

Fulmer's Nat Championship was consenses and he played and coached here most of his career

Let's meet here in about 10 to 15 years to talk about ANY further plaza name changes or statues for any UT sports figure. With all that's going on in/around UT now, the very last thing we need is a controversy like this to surface.

Let's meet here in about 10 to 15 years to talk about ANY further plaza name changes or statues for any UT sports figure. With all that's going on in/around UT now, the very last thing we need is a controversy like this to surface.

I don't understand why it would be a controversy. Alabama puts up a statue of every coach that has won a national championship in there plaza. It has to be a great recruiting tool. A recruit just has to walk around the stadium to get a feel of the history of their program. That is one of my beefs with UT they seem to wait too long to honor their legends. Look at how long it took to get a Neyland statue, retire Johnny Majors jersey, etc. It happens in other sports, too. Look at basketball it took forever to retire jerseys for Ernie and Bernie, Allan, and Dale. I just think it helps recruiting when a great history and tradition is honored.

I love the spirit of this post but one item is glaringly incorrect. When the battle of New Orleans was faught the war was already over. That means that Jackson's victory there has no bearing on the ultimate outcome or anyone's ability to travel to NOLA wwithout a passport. Other than that, I love your vigor.

Sure, if the Brits win that battle, then they'd just give up the port which is the key to the entire continent because the war is over. :eek:lol:

Ever heard of the Falkland Islands?

Anyway, I don't want to sidetrack the discussion. I was being hyperbolic. Obviously, we'd have kicked them out eventually.

I don't understand why it would be a controversy. Alabama puts up a statue of every coach that has won a national championship in there plaza. It has to be a great recruiting tool. A recruit just has to walk around the stadium to get a feel of the history of their program. That is one of my beefs with UT they seem to wait too long to honor their legends. Look at how long it took to get a Neyland statue, retire Johnny Majors jersey, etc. It happens in other sports, too. Look at basketball it took forever to retire jerseys for Ernie and Bernie, Allan, and Dale. I just think it helps recruiting when a great history and tradition is honored.

We ain't Bama, An' we sure as heck don't wanna be like Bama.

All Bama hatred aside, it would be great to create such a plaza, but we just dumped a ton of money into a brand new practice facility. We keep building all these nice things but it hasn't translated to the field yet. We gotta sweet lookin' ride but she rarely wins a race...

Phillip Fulmer Plaza would have my vote. It is sad how a lot of fans choose to forget all the good he did for our University and only remember his last 5 years

It will happen one day. Right now I think its too soon. Rather its fair or not a lot of people blame Fulmer for UT going downhill. Winning cures everything though. Once we start winning people will remember the good times again more than the bad.

I would call it "Hall of Fame Plaza" and have a statue of every Volunteer player or coach that has been elected to the Hall of Fame in any sport.
Why build an area to honor just one person, let it be an area to honor all the Big Orange Hall of Fame members and those members will continue to slowly grow over the years with a ceremony for the unveiling of their statue.

I am sure one day we could have a ceremony to unveil the statue of Peyton Manning being inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

I would call it "Hall of Fame Plaza" and have a statue of every Volunteer player or coach that has been elected to the Hall of Fame in any sport.
Why build an area to honor just one person, let it be an area to honor all the Big Orange Hall of Fame members and those members will continue to slowly grow over the years with a ceremony for the unveiling of their statue.

I am sure one day we could have a ceremony to unveil the statue of Peyton Manning being inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.
that is actually a great idea. I'm for it 100%

Kindly get a clue, sir!

AMEN! I was just thinking about this the other day. I thought it would be sweet if there was something like the Korean War Memorial in D.C. on campus. Would be nice to see something like that but the men could be dressed like the Volunteers---furs ,muskets ,and such.GBO

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have no problem with a Fulmer statue as long as it's put in context. For instance, call it Championship Plaza, or Champions Plaza, and each coach that wins a NC gets a statue. Seems reasonable and could be a good recruiting tool.

i like this ^

But UT claims it with the same commitment as any of Neyland's and '98. The school does not acknowledge the relative weakness of the claim. How can one argue that Dickey should not be honored like Neyland and Fulmer if the school claims they are equal in their accomplishments?

Last edited:
AMEN! I was just thinking about this the other day. I thought it would be sweet if there was something like the Korean War Memorial in D.C. on campus. Would be nice to see something like that but the men could be dressed like the Volunteers---furs ,muskets ,and such.GBO

That is exactly what I am thinking with one exception.

It would be fantastic to have an actual Volunteer who died in every major war with a plaque about how they died and a little about their life. As you walk through the plaza you would progress from Revolutionary War to those who have most recently given their lives.

Davy Crockett would obviously be represented.

For the Civil War you could profile a few from each side, and for just that one segment have them face each other.

For those who actually played for Neyland, you could have the statues transform from wearing leather helmets to full combat gear.

If done right, it would be an incredibly powerful tribute and it would bring people to Knoxville who aren't even interested in football. With the money boosters like the Haslem's and alums like Peyton Manning have, this could really be done right.

Kindly get a clue, sir!

Wtf does any of that have to do with ww2? You're talking about the civil war when the rest of us are talking about WW2.

Are you drunk?

But UT claims it with the same commitment as any of Neyland's and '98. The school does not acknowledge the relative weakness of the claim. How can one argue that Dickey should not be honored like Neyland and Fulmer if the school claims they are equal in their accomplishments?

You know as well as I do that it's Dickey. School can recognize '67 all they want but there is no way the fans would be in favor of Dickey having a statue. It's hard to argue that we deserved the '67 NC as the AP and UPI agreed.

READ moron, I said "athletics"....as for the WWII vets who lost their life, HAVE YOU BEEN TO NEYLAND STADIUM???

EDIT: I don't normally get pissed off by...anything....on this board l, but the level of ignorance in this post should not and cannot be understated. We have retired the numbers of former football players who left college to serve their country and paid the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom. The fact that you question the idea of a statue of those men struck a chord with me.

Learn a little about the history of this state, this university, and this football program before you make an ignorant statement like that again.

OP called me a moron....this post has been up for 4-5 hours. But when I did the same 5 SEC ago I get infracted and my post gets took down.

VN Store

Back