Phillip Fulmer to step down per ESPN (mega-merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whew! I thought I would never hear this announcement. Coach Fulmer deserved to go, but on his own terms. Thanks Coach Fulmer for your loyalty to the program...however it's pretty evident that 80's and 90's style of football doesn't work any longer. Good luck with your retirement! Now Mike Hamilton and Co. needs to go out and find a high powered offensive minded coach with great recruiting skills so we can get excited again watching Tennessee Football.

It's too bad that it had to end this way. I wish Phil the best but am very excited about our new coach. Hopefully, this gives us a jump to get someone in who can hold on to some recruits.

I just heard it too...It didn't give a time for the press conference. Let the decommits begin

it was a double edge sword. A new coach and staff may go into another direction anyway. Hate it but it is absolutely the best thing that could have happen to this program. Wonder how long to rebuild and hope we make the right selection on the first replacement.

Bittersweet day for sure. Glad we are getting a new coach in K'ville, wish it could have been on better terms for Phil. Good luck in whatever you do! GO VOLS!!!

Heard on the radio that Mike Leach would be "very interested in the Tennessee job" for what its worth

As a Vol alum I am deeply saddened by Phil's announcement, but it was time for a change. I had a sentimental place in my heart for the big fella. He took us high, but agreeably things have not been the same since 2001. He will get every penny of that $6 million.

As for a replacement, here's why I think Leach is NOT good fit. It's the SEC. If your defense is as bad as Texas Tech's has been in recent memory, we would lose alot of shootouts.

Chris Peterson at Boist St is the out of the box thinking candidate, but I doubt his recruiting abilities in the South.
Thus Muschamp makes sense, but we need an offensive minded coach so I don't think he gets the job.

Maybe a Jim Grobe. Maybe a Lane Kiffin. Who knows. I think it will be somebody surprising, because they have to know the lay of the land in terms of recruiting in the SEC...anyone know a coach who fits that mold that we haven't discussed?

:rock:Kudos to Phil for finally coming to his senses and doing what's right for the University of Tennessee instead of prolonging the agony. :dance2:

Now that the end of an error is upon us, it's time for Mike Hamilton to go out and find us the football equivalent of Bruce Pearl. :superman:

:pepper::pepper::pepper:

:td:

I am really sad to see the Coach leave, however, it is time for a change. Thank you Coach Fulmer, I am grateful for everything you have done for the program and I wish you all the best.

Laugh all you want, complain all you want. He may not get the job but I can promise you Brady Hoke of Ball State will be on the list before it is all said and done. He will interview. Track the plane, it will show up in Muncie, IN

Laugh all you want, complain all you want. He may not get the job but I can promise you Brady Hoke of Ball State will be on the list before it is all said and done. He will interview. Track the plane, it will show up in Muncie, IN

Why are you posting this in multiple threads?

I dont understand why Leach would leave a team and a system he finally has going in the right direction to get blasted in the SEC.

I dont understand why Leach would leave a team and a system he finally has going in the right direction to get blasted in the SEC.

EGO!!!! Texas Tech is rockin' now, but when people think the Big 12, they don't think Texas Tech. They think Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska (even though they suck). Tennessee is a historic program. If you bring it back to significance on the national stage, no one will question you are on of the best coaches (see Nick Saban).

Well, now is the chance for all of you "Changers," to get what you had been wanting. All of us had better hope that with Fulmer gone, Mr. Hammy hits a home run with the new hire. Or once again you fairweather fans will be boo hoo'n about the coach and not supporting the team!

GO VOLSSSSSSSS!:rock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back