Phillip Fulmer to step down per ESPN (mega-merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
same here. Fulmer is a true vol and a great ambassador for the school/state and that should be how he is remebered. but it is painfully obviously time for a change.

Well put Tennessee Slim.

What a shock, LG reading into a situation to throw another left-handed compliment.

B.S. I congratulated the Vols as an institution and the board here, too.

But I am not implying a compliment towards Fulmer. I've always said that he blames the players rather than himself. Been that way for a long time. And he's still doing it.

First, congrats VN. The search for a successor begins and I do personally hope you get someone good and quickly return to your usual competitive selves here before long.

But ...

I think someone needs to say something about how Fulmer is, even in retreat, once again throwing the players under the bus. According to the Low article (quoting the Tennesseean) he instructed the coaches to shield the players from the frustration of the coaches, implying that it is the players who are not performing. Just saying.

you're looking way too much into it...

It's still a sad day when a man who has given so much to the University is forced to resign. I know it was needed and best for the future of the program and I'm glad it's over with so that the entire Vol nation can move on and stop dwelling on the negative. It also appears this will not be a messy divorce which is in everyone's interest and appears to be the way I would expect Phil to handle it. Go Vols.

same here. Fulmer is a true vol and a great ambassador for the school/state and that should be how he is remebered. but it is painfully obviously time for a change.

Well put Tennessee Slim.

He was a true Vol, yes. but not a great ambassador. As I note above, he is still saying it was the players, not the coaches, who made this season what it is.

Not to mention he was stuck w/ Al Davis, and was with possibly the worst team in football. Hard to make something out of nothing in the NFL.

yeah u cant coach when the idiot owner monitors ur every move an judgement call. whats the success record of coaches who coached under carroll

B.S. I congratulated the Vols as an institution and the board here, too.

But I am not implying a compliment towards Fulmer. I've always said that he blames the players rather than himself. Been that way for a long time. And he's still doing it.

Exactly my point - another passive aggressive post.

BTW - I don't see Fulmer's comments as throwing the players under the bus. He's saying don't let them take the heat we should be taking.

I bet Phil is wanting his $1,000,000 back that he donated last year to keep his job..

No. Read the comments. Fulmer is saying that the coaches are frustrated with the players. Translation: Its their (players') fault.

Did he directly say, "It's the player's fault"?

He probably only told the coaches not to show too much frustration because the players may react in a negative way and play even worse.

Exactly my point - another passive aggressive post.

BTW - I don't see Fulmer's comments as throwing the players under the bus. He's saying don't let them take the heat we should be taking.

Shield them from the coaches' frustration at the season, which is coming across to the players in practice and meetings?

Come on. You don't have to read between the lines to see that he is blaming the players for the failures this year.

My main point was let's not be pollyanish about Fulmer. He was a great coach a decade ago, lost it, and now he's leaving. He should be honored for what he did 10 years ago. But let's not pretend that right now he has everyone's respect because he simply doesn't.

No. Read the comments. Fulmer is saying that the coaches are frustrated with the players. Translation: Its their (players') fault.

Kinda seems like its been bad play calling by the coaches, and poor effort by the players.

If my coach clapped everytime I threw a pick 6, i would probably get a little careless too.

Wow, he says he's stepping down and now we still feel the need to argue about Fulmers comments. Amazing. He's gone, get over it and lets quit bitching and support our team! Go Vols!

Shield them from the coaches' frustration at the season, which is coming across to the players in practice and meetings?

Come on. You don't have to read between the lines to see that he is blaming the players for the failures this year.

My main point was let's not be pollyanish about Fulmer. He was a great coach a decade ago, lost it, and now he's leaving. He should be honored for what he did 10 years ago. But let's not pretend that right now he has everyone's respect because he simply doesn't.

You are reading deep between the lines. He's saying don't take your frustrations out on the players - sounds like he's trying to protect them rather then trash them.

No one is saying he has everyone's respect. I'm calling out your shot at him that appears manufactured to me. :hi:

You are reading deep between the lines. He's saying don't take your frustrations out on the players - sounds like he's trying to protect them rather then trash them.

No one is saying he has everyone's respect. I'm calling out your shot at him that appears manufactured to me. :hi:

I guess we just read it differently.

Of course, I have about seven years of recent history to support my reading... :)

But at any rate I did mean the first part about this being good news for UT and for the Volnation. Time to move on, I suppose.

this is the happiest moment of my life next to the birth of my only son. scratch that this is even better than that.

Wow I never thought I would see the day! I am different from everyone else here I actually like fulmer hell my son thought that Fulmer was his grandfather(national champ.sports ill hung on his wall).It is a sad day I see us at or near the bottom for a few more years. I just hope that Clawson does not get the job.I also do not see a "big name" coach coming here.Tennessee players as I said in another post just have no heart anymore! I don't see this as all cfp falt but our program as a whole! Sad day!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think a change was needed, but I like Coach Fulmer. I am glad it is going down this way. He deserves to go out with dignity and respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back