Police Brutality - Where Is The Outrage?

So perhaps this should just add to the outrage others are protesting about? Or do you just want outrage for this op? We should all stand up and demand better when the government does this to people.

Agreed. The unfortunate truth is there are evil people in this world. And nothing will stop them.

This is the very point I've observed, also. People are rallying behind their "teams". I'm on the pro-cop/Blue Live Matter team, so anything cops do is OK. Or, I'm on the BLM/ACAB side, so all of these killing of blacks by cops is wrong, but we will ignore black on black crime and cops killing white folks.

I'm just standing here in the middle saying that we do have a policing problem that is affecting ALL of us and we also need to remember that the cure is sometimes in the prevention, meaning people need to limit their number of interactions with cops by not engaging in a lot of these criminal acts... even though I agree that a majority of these laws are bogus as hell.

The overall theme is we have bad cops enforcing bad laws.

You can't just blame the cops themselves for the us vs them mentality. For example, I've seen a disturbing trend around Chattanooga. Solid white police and emergency vehicles with white decals that say police or whatever emergency service. They are almost undetectable in the daylight but presumably reflective at night - who knows. Cops shouldn't operate in a stealth mode, and why in the world would an emergency services vehicle need camouflage anyway. Police cars should be clearly marked and should really be painted like the Europeans do with blue and yellow. To do differently goes back to the speed trap mentality of enforcement which does no one any favors. The question is who started this trend - another spin off from the 9-11 militarism or local politicians trolling for income.

You can't just blame the cops themselves for the us vs them mentality. For example, I've seen a disturbing trend around Chattanooga. Solid white police and emergency vehicles with white decals that say police or whatever emergency service. They are almost undetectable in the daylight but presumably reflective at night - who knows. Cops shouldn't operate in a stealth mode, and why in the world would an emergency services vehicle need camouflage anyway. Police cars should be clearly marked and should really be painted like the Europeans do with blue and yellow. To do differently goes back to the speed trap mentality of enforcement which does no one any favors. The question is who started this trend - another spin off from the 9-11 militarism or local politicians trolling for income.

Yes, there are speed traps out there. Tons of them. Meanwhile, back at the Ranch...when conducting speed enforcement on (for example) the Interstate, I sit on the shoulder of the road perpendicular to traffic flow. I'm in a Chevy Tahoe PPV with 7-inch letters in contrasting color on the side that say "Sheriff". The door badge has a 25" diameter. Plus the standard "911" decal, vehicle number, light bar, radio antenna, data antenna, etc. I can almost always be clearly seen from half a mile away. And I generally don't even look at a vehicle until it's going 15 over. All that, and I can throw a tennis ball and hit a vehicle going 90+ almost all day long.

If that's my "stealth mode", I'm not very good at it. No need to troll when the fish are just jumping in the boat...

Yes, there are speed traps out there. Tons of them. Meanwhile, back at the Ranch...when conducting speed enforcement on (for example) the Interstate, I sit on the shoulder of the road perpendicular to traffic flow. I'm in a Chevy Tahoe PPV with 7-inch letters in contrasting color on the side that say "Sheriff". The door badge has a 25" diameter. Plus the standard "911" decal, vehicle number, light bar, radio antenna, data antenna, etc. I can almost always be clearly seen from half a mile away. And I generally don't even look at a vehicle until it's going 15 over. All that, and I can throw a tennis ball and hit a vehicle going 90+ almost all day long.

If that's my "stealth mode", I'm not very good at it. No need to troll when the fish are just jumping in the boat...

That's the way it should be done, and I have no doubt even with the "negative" advertising that you get plenty of business. Part of my comment, too, has to do with safety. The more reflective stuff and brighter colors that you wear and your car is painted, the more visible you are; and hopefully even the least observant person on the road won't run over you. That's why I keep referring back to the bright yellow and blue color schemes that the Europeans use; it would be nice to see that standardized across all law enforcement from coat to coast. Several years ago I was going down a street driving into early morning sun and a knucklehead in a regular dark uniform stepped out from behind a tree with a radar gun; the speed limit was low, and I wasn't speeding, but I could easily have hit the guy because with the sun's glare you couldn't see him. I appreciate the fact that without enforcement on the road it would be chaos.

I saw something yesterday that bothered me and falls not under enforcement but under standardization. Where companies choose to put brake lights and turn signals. For example, some like Honda CRVs have brake and turn signals way up high next to the rear window. I was behind a different SUV that had obvious mid level taillights, but the idiots put the brake lights down in the bumper. Ergonomics are an important part of safety, and light placement needs to be standardized and directly in front of following drivers.

Reactions: StarRaider
EXCLUSIVE: Security footage shows 73-year-old Woman with Dementia confronted by Walmart employees after Forgetting to pay for a soda, candy bar and T-shirt and later walking home empty-handed moments before she's violently arrested

• Walmart security footage shows the moment Karen Garner, 73, was stopped by employees after she was suspected of shoplifting
Newly-released video shows the moment an elderly woman with dementia was confronted by Walmart employees after forgetting to pay for her items and later walking home empty-handed, just moments before she was violently arrested by police.

Security footage obtained by DailyMail.com shows 73-year-old Karen Garner trying to walk out of a Loveland, Colorado Walmart last June after allegedly failing to pay for $13 worth of items: a soda, a candy bar, a T-shirt, and wipe refills.

42337866-9522093-image-a-47_1619640103650.jpg

42336154-9522093-image-a-49_1619640195945.jpg

Garner appears to dodge workers as they try to block her from leaving. According to attorney Sarah Schielke, the 73-year-old suffers from dementia as well as sensory aphasia, which impairs her ability to communicate and understand what other people are saying

New security footage shows moment Walmart employees confront elderly woman with dementia | Daily Mail Online

EXCLUSIVE: Security footage shows 73-year-old Woman with Dementia confronted by Walmart employees after Forgetting to pay for a soda, candy bar and T-shirt and later walking home empty-handed moments before she's violently arrested

• Walmart security footage shows the moment Karen Garner, 73, was stopped by employees after she was suspected of shoplifting
Newly-released video shows the moment an elderly woman with dementia was confronted by Walmart employees after forgetting to pay for her items and later walking home empty-handed, just moments before she was violently arrested by police.

Security footage obtained by DailyMail.com shows 73-year-old Karen Garner trying to walk out of a Loveland, Colorado Walmart last June after allegedly failing to pay for $13 worth of items: a soda, a candy bar, a T-shirt, and wipe refills.

42337866-9522093-image-a-47_1619640103650.jpg

42336154-9522093-image-a-49_1619640195945.jpg

Garner appears to dodge workers as they try to block her from leaving. According to attorney Sarah Schielke, the 73-year-old suffers from dementia as well as sensory aphasia, which impairs her ability to communicate and understand what other people are saying

New security footage shows moment Walmart employees confront elderly woman with dementia | Daily Mail Online
What happened to her is awful, and I hope this department fires the officers involved, especially after their celebratory gestures to each other.... And use all of this footage as a "what not to do" teaching moment.

All that said, if this woman had all these issues and a daughter that's involved in her life I can't help but feel she has a small part of the blame laid at her feet. She was obviously not in a position where she could properly care for herself in society and either needed supervision or be in residence at some facility.

What happened to her is awful, and I hope this department fires the officers involved, especially after their celebratory gestures to each other.... And use all of this footage as a "what not to do" teaching moment.

All that said, if this woman had all these issues and a daughter that's involved in her life I can't help but feel she has a small part of the blame laid at her feet. She was obviously not in a position where she could properly care for herself in society and either needed supervision or be in residence at some facility.
The officers were wrong for not recognizing her dementia and using that much force and the celebratory BS....they deserve what they get.

However you are right that Walmart was not wrong for calling police on her as this type of shoplifting happens often.

Also JUST because someone has dementia doesn't mean they can't hurt you or need to be restrained, it's the #1 Workplace violence incident on RNs/CNAs right now in the healthcare, however that much force was not needed by the officers obviously

The shame of this video is that this happens at a random police department every single day across the US. Apparently every police department has at least one or more "bad actors" that eventually get exposed because of cell phone cameras. Sorry, but I don't buy the police are hero's story, I can defend myself.

Reactions: tnmarktx
Three Colorado cops Resign after they Callously Laughed at bodycam footage of themselves 'breaking arm and dislocating shoulder' of 73-year-old Dementia Sufferer

• Loveland Police Chief Bob Ticer announced officers Austin Hopp, Daria Jalali and community service officer Tyler Blackett are no longer employed by his department
  • The resignations come amid a lawsuit filed on behalf of Karen Garner, 73, who was arrested in June 2020 by the officers after she left a Colorado Walmart without paying for $13 worth of items
A Colorado police department announced that three police officers involved in the violent arrest of a 73-year-old woman with dementia are no longer employed there.

Loveland Police Chief Bob Ticer announced Friday that officers Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali, and community service officer Tyler Blackett, are no longer employed by his department.

42435548-9530817-image-m-6_1619831990417.jpg
42435498-9530817-image-a-7_1619831996991.jpg

Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali were both fired from their jobs at Loveland Police Department in Colorado on Friday over their arrest of a 73 year-old dementia sufferer

42425872-9530817-image-a-32_1619810468394.jpg

DailyMail.com revealed that officers Austin Hopp and Daria Jalali (pictured) are in a romantic relationship and moved in together while Hopp was still married

DailyMail.com revealed that Hopp and Jalali are in a romantic relationship and moved in together while Hopp was still married.

Three Loveland police officers involved in the arrest of 73-year-old with dementia resign | Daily Mail Online

Also JUST because someone has dementia doesn't mean they can't hurt you or need to be restrained, it's the #1 Workplace violence incident on RNs/CNAs right now in the healthcare, however that much force was not needed by the officers obviously
How often do we have female RNA/CNAs getting into the same types of incidents as these 'roided up cops?

How often do we have female RNA/CNAs getting into the same types of incidents as these 'roided up cops?
You severely overestimate the number of police on steroids. Might want to not generalize made up stuff like that. Also there aren’t just female RN and CNAs. And thirdly, assaults and fights are commonplace in healthcare. There have been nearly 100 this year so far at the local level 1 trauma center and that’s down from years past

You know, I've noticed a very unsurprising trend here.

The ACAB/F12 folks don't give 2 squats about Tony Timpa, Daniel Shaver and this woman, to just name a few. I wonder why.

Some of the "Floyd shouldn't have been resisting" folks aren't saying the same about this woman. I wonder why.

The media has done a spectacular job at balkanizing us, I'll give them that.
Put your hands on a dementia pt and see what happens.

Reactions: AM64
Arrest Warrants issued for Two Loved-Up Colorado Cops who were fired after being caught Fist-Bumping while watching footage of their Violent Arrest of Dementia-sufferer, 73, who forgot to pay for $13 of groceries

Austin Hopp, 26, and Daria Jalali, 27, face charges over the June 2020 arrest of Karen Garner in Loveland, a city about 50 miles north of Denver.

Hopp is facing charges of second-degree assault, attempt to influence a public servant and official misconduct. Jalali is facing charges of failing to report a use of force, failing to intervene and official misconduct.

They were among three officers who resigned last month after a federal lawsuit filed by the woman's family and footage of the incident triggered anger in the community and two independent investigations.

The charges were confirmed by 8th Judicial District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin Wednesday afternoon. At the time of the press conference Hopp and Jalali had not been arrested but McLaughlin said they 'had indications they do plan to turn themselves in'.

42425854-9530817-image-a-34_1619810600330.jpg

Bodycam footage captured the arrest of 73-year-old Karen Garner (pictured) who was slammed to the ground by officer Hopp after she repeatedly said: 'I'm going home'

42249074-9513533-image-m-168_1619469747831.jpg

Hopp (left) and Jalali (right) appeared to exchange a fist bump after placing Garner in a cell. Before extending his hand Hopp asked Jalali if she'd turned her body-camera off

Ex-officers face charges in arrest of woman with dementia | Daily Mail Online

Two Colorado cops who are Dating, appear in Court Charged with Assault of Dementia-Sufferer, 73, who forgot to pay for $13 worth of groceries after turning themselves in

The two cops who beat up a 73-year-old dementia patient in Colorado last June turned themselves in on Thursday and appeared in court, after warrants were issued for their arrest.

Body camera footage shows Austin Hopp, 26, and Daria Jalali, 27, confronting Karen Garner as she left a Walmart store in Loveland without paying for $13-worth of items on June 26 before one of the officers then broke her arm during the arrest.

Later, surveillance footage surfaced that shows the former Loveland Police Department officers fist bumping and laughing while watching the body camera videos as Garner was locked up in a jail cell in pain just feet away.

43251259-9602295-image-a-1_1621554996661.jpg

Austin Hopp, 26, briefly appeared in court to hear his charges on Thursday

Hopp has been charged with second-degree assault and attempt to influence a public servant, both felonies, as well as the misdemeanor charge of official misconduct, 8th Judicial District Attorney Gordon McLaughlin announced.

Jalali's charges, all misdemeanors, are for failing to report a use of force, failing to intervene and official misconduct.

Garner's family filed a federal lawsuit last month against the officers and their supervisor, who subsequently resigned.

Sarah Schielke, an attorney for the family, said the announcement of charges left 'more questions than answers and more concern than relief'.

Schlieke said the family wants to see Loveland's police chief resign and the entire department investigated over its practices.

'District attorneys have no problem throwing the book at regular citizens … why was the district attorney's office so thoughtful and sparing in their charging of the officers involved in this?' Schielke asked.

43233491-9600757-image-m-117_1621523362230.jpg

Attorney Sarah Schlieke (left) held a press conference on Wednesday alongside Garner's daughter Allisa Swartz (center) and daughter-in-law Shannon Steward (right) after prosecutors announced charges against the cops involved in last summer's arrest

Two cops who beat up dementia patient turn themselves in and are charged | Daily Mail Online

It happens more than you would think..... some cna’s can’t handle it at times..... I was a CNA right after high school as I was beginning my college work to go into healthcare.... we had to go in with a dementia patient who had smeared sh$t all over his room and all over his roommate.... The guy was way stronger than I would have figured..... he pinched, punched, and hit us...... Finally another male CNA snapped and punched him three times.... he then walked out of the room and quit..... I got called as a witness in a court case against him a couple years later to tell what had happened.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
The officers were wrong for not recognizing her dementia and using that much force and the celebratory BS....they deserve what they get.

However you are right that Walmart was not wrong for calling police on her as this type of shoplifting happens often.

I’m not justifying the cops actions but cops aren’t trained to recognize dementia patients...there are a lot of people that can’t identify dementia patients and do not know how to work with them.

VN Store

Back