Poll: Should Jonathan Skrmetti sue the NCAA? (He did)

Poll: Should Jonathan Skrmetti sue the NCAA?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
He doesn't, he's just been speculating.

Given Spyre and Plowman's immediate rebutal letters, Plowman and Spyre know the NCAA doesn't have anything.

Someone gave a reporter a tip about Plowman's spectacular F-You rebuttal letter, and said repeater used a FOI request to leak it. That's how this story broke.

Plowman isn't an idiot, she knows all possible FOI phone and computer records are going to or have already been requested.
They only people that "leaked" that letter was Donde herself. They knew that the ncaa was snooping and they had that bad boy saved in drafts ready to go. No FOIA request needed. She shot that missle directly across the ncaa bow. I think the more likely scenario is some weasel at the ncaa whispered in Forde's ear that they were snooping around UT. That is when he drops that weak, speculative garbage of an article with way more inuendo than fact. Then Donde hits send on the rebuttal letter and sends the copy to the media as well. No way she had that prepared, vetted, and approved that quick if it wasn't already written.

They only people that "leaked" that letter was Donde herself. They knew that the ncaa was snooping and they had that bad boy saved in drafts ready to go. No FOIA request needed. She shot that missle directly across the ncaa bow. I think the more likely scenario is some weasel at the ncaa whispered in Forde's ear that they were snooping around UT. That is when he drops that weak, speculative garbage of an article with way more inuendo than fact. Then Donde hits send on the rebuttal letter and sends the copy to the media as well. No way she had that prepared, vetted, and approved that quick if it wasn't already written.

Seems like the AG of Tennessee was ready as well.

I am not going to vote yet. Let NCAA finish investigation. If they clear us, no reason to sue.

I will say the NCAA rules were too unclear all along. It says something when Air Force broke a rule this past summer. I mean Air Force has an entirely different mission with recruiting than sports.

I am not going to vote yet. Let NCAA finish investigation. If they clear us, no reason to sue.

I will say the NCAA rules were too unclear all along. It says something when Air Force broke a rule this past summer. I mean Air Force has an entirely different mission with recruiting than sports.
I said no only because I don't like politicians involved in everything, but if you're going to sue you don't wait until it all clears up two years later to make that decision.

If nothing wrong was done (and Plowman wouldn't release that letter if she didn't know nothing wrong was done) then you go on the offensive because they've essentially defamed you very publicly.

The NCAA has told congress to do something about NIL. Congress keeps doing nothing, so, I think the NCAA is trying to force their hand.

Fine, you won’t make any rules, we’ll dish out punishment and force congress to get involved. I’m guessing they hit Ohio, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, California, Oklahoma, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Oregon, etc until these congress people have to take action or the super league forms
thats an idiotic strategy. Congress dont give a f about this.

I said no only because I don't like politicians involved in everything, but if you're going to sue you don't wait until it all clears up two years later to make that decision.

If nothing wrong was done (and Plowman wouldn't release that letter if she didn't know nothing wrong was done) then you go on the offensive because they've essentially defamed you very publicly.

Agree on two years but at least give them a couple of weeks. The mudslinging about it is a problem, I agree.

I think a state AG should concentrate on fulfilling his or her regular duties first.

I understand though, that they are politicians and may not be able to resist ganging up on the NCAA for the popularity.
It’s a state university, funded by taxpayer dollars. Definitely within the realm of their “regular duties.”

There were rules broken supposedly. We were doing the same thing every other collective was doing. But, we had some loud mouth people basically bragging about what they did to get Nico here, and the NCAA got involved.

The football program was not allowed to have any contact or coordination with Spyre prior to 2023. Nico was being recruited before the rules changed, and the football program was coordinating with Spyre. Hence the issue. It’s legal now since the rule changed, but was illegal then. But, if they start looking, everyone was doing it, which is why the rule changed
What I read was it was a booster loaned his private plane to spyre and not the football program or the university involved. Is there something that says UT was coordinating with spyre?

Agree on two years but at least give them a couple of weeks. The mudslinging about it is a problem, I agree.
If you sit around and wait for even 2 weeks, you lend credibility to this sham that the ncaa has become. Fire the canons at the first sign of trouble and see if they want to walk directly into the barrage. No mudslinging...make them prove it in court instead of some back room where they are the judge, jury, and make up arbitrary rules after the fact. No thank you. I'd rather take it right to them from the jump.

If you sit around and wait for even 2 weeks, you lend credibility to this sham that the ncaa has become. Fire the canons at the first sign of trouble and see if they want to walk directly into the barrage. No mudslinging...make them prove it in court instead of some back room where they are the judge, jury, and make up arbitrary rules after the fact. No thank you. I'd rather take it right to them from the jump.

The NCAA has painted themselves into a corner. If they back down, they prove they have zero power. If they fight it, it will expose in court the NCAA for the frauds they are.

Retroactively enforcing rules that didn’t exist is laughable and the conferences will fight this attack on NIL as well. Discovery against the NCAA would break them.

Again. The NCAA has just made a fatal mistake and it’s over for them.

The NCAA has painted themselves into a corner. If they back down, they prove they have zero power. If they fight it, it will expose in court the NCAA for the frauds they are.

Retroactively enforcing rules that didn’t exist is laughable and the conferences will fight this attack on NIL as well. Discovery against the NCAA would break them.

Again. The NCAA has just made a fatal mistake and it’s over for them.

Andy Staples at On3 called this out early on yesterday in his video. Basically only media source that was very much in Tennessee's corner from the start and said the NCAA had made a mistake here.

Vol fans, perhaps we should support On3 more :).

I voted no only because of the timing. I wanted to see the NCAA dig a bigger hole so we could recover more damages. Oh well, the AG knows better than I do!

Go get 'em Skrmetti!!!

1bf5330d-4332-4062-b8b2-08359bcde60b_text.gif

Yes yes and yes.

It’s about time the NCAA was put down but a lawsuit will work for now.

Tennessee and Virginia are seeking a temporary restraining order barring the NCAA from enforcing its NIL-recruiting ban or taking any other action to prevent prospective college athletes and transfer candidates from engaging in meaningful NIL discussions prior to enrollment.

“Student-athletes are entitled to rules that are clear and rules that are fair,” said Tennessee Attorney General Jonathan Skrmetti. “College sports wouldn’t exist without college athletes, and those students shouldn’t be left behind while everybody else involved prospers. The NCAA’s restraints on prospective students’ ability to meaningfully negotiate NIL deals violate federal antitrust law. Only Congress has the power to impose such limits.”

The suit pointed to the Supreme Court’s 9-0 decision on Alston v. NCAA in 2021, which ruled that the NCAA can’t limit education-related payments to student-athletes.

“Those rules — especially the restrictions on compensating college athletes — are in fact “subject to the Sherman Act,” “subject to the rule of reason,” and often plainly illegal,” the suit reads.

VN Store

Back