Poll: Should Jonathan Skrmetti sue the NCAA? (He did)

Poll: Should Jonathan Skrmetti sue the NCAA?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
There aren’t any specific allegations in that. It is just a rehash, although much more wordy, of what has already been said in the media. I have yet to see specific allegations other than “Nico got a free ride on a private jet.” TN hasn’t received a LOA yet, just a lot of innuendo in the media and from our more vocal negative members.

Reactions: Ratvol
I hope that state powers expedite a court date and not let this drag on. There is no justification to allow the NCAA to further investigate to deal with the damage from the information ALREADY shared with the news folks. Justifying classifying the actions as an investigation means they better have the goods to enter that phase. ESPECIALLY after UT requested meetings to go over the FACTS and the NCAA. passed.

Force them to supply the specific rules involved, when they were published, and the specific UT employees and dates of those actions that warrant going from information requests to the damaging announced investigation status. “Prosecutorial” misconduct must be addressed and credibility restored and damages recouped.

They can of course continue further actions.

Should the Attorney General of Tennessee take legal action against the NCAA very soon to protect the citizens and employees of his State?

At this rate it is beyond selective harassment.

I believe I know who one of the main persons and Universities is behind this whole thing.....

The NCAA is attempting to threaten and bully student athletes and employees in the state of Tennessee and their ability to earn income, which is clearly a violation of their rights.

This is also a clear attempt to bully and harass student athletes who are currently and actively pursuing their academic responsibilities this semester in an attempt to cause them harm related to academic and athletic success.

The whole thing is completely egregious and an abuse of power. If there are no rules to break, how do you investigate rule breaking? This is a complete witch hunt and targeted assault on students of the University of Tennessee, citizens and employees of our State.
I don't believe there are really 8 people who are against the idea. I think we have 8 funny guys voting lol

Reactions: mpfvol
The NCAA has told congress to do something about NIL. Congress keeps doing nothing, so, I think the NCAA is trying to force their hand.

Fine, you won’t make any rules, we’ll dish out punishment and force congress to get involved. I’m guessing they hit Ohio, Florida, Tennessee, Georgia, Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, California, Oklahoma, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Oregon, etc until these congress people have to take action or the super league forms
There is no way the NCAA is doing that, that would be suicide for them

What I read was it was a booster loaned his private plane to spyre and not the football program or the university involved. Is there something that says UT was coordinating with spyre?
This sounds to me like the NCAA went around asking folks at UT about that flight and somebody responded to the question with an answer like, "we had him fly out on a booster's jet". The "we" being the collective we as fans use when they say "we won" or "we lost" even though "we" don't actually participate. The NCAA investigator interprets "we" as being the UT athletic department so the Barney Fife investigator loads his lone bullet in the gun and starts saying UT violated recruiting rules.

Reactions: ATCVolinmn
This sounds to me like the NCAA went around asking folks at UT about that flight and somebody responded to the question with an answer like, "we had him fly out on a booster's jet". The "we" being the collective we as fans use when they say "we won" or "we lost" even though "we" don't actually participate. The NCAA investigator interprets "we" as being the UT athletic department so the Barney Fife investigator loads his lone bullet in the gun and starts saying UT violated recruiting rules.
Welp, sounds like Ole Barney is about to FAFO.

Should the Attorney General of Tennessee take legal action against the NCAA very soon to protect the citizens and employees of his State?

At this rate it is beyond selective harassment.

I believe I know who one of the main persons and Universities is behind this whole thing.....

The NCAA is attempting to threaten and bully student athletes and employees in the state of Tennessee and their ability to earn income, which is clearly a violation of their rights.

This is also a clear attempt to bully and harass student athletes who are currently and actively pursuing their academic responsibilities this semester in an attempt to cause them harm related to academic and athletic success.

The whole thing is completely egregious and an abuse of power. If there are no rules to break, how do you investigate rule breaking? This is a complete witch hunt and targeted assault on students of the University of Tennessee, citizens and employees of our State.

Somebody hose this man down.

If anybody thinks that college athletics doesn't need a governing body, and that there needs to rules/regulations/boundaries related to the many issues involved in college athletics, including of course recruiting, then they're insane. It goes without saying that if the NCAA were instead investigating, say, Oklahoma, no Vol fans would be the least bit put out. The notion that the NCAA is trying "bully" student-athletes is just plain stupid.

We already live in the most litigious “society” in the history of the world. Might as well. When in doubt, sue.
What other non-violent recourse is available to combat abuses of power? The flip side of the the social commentary complaint many espouse that there are too many lawsuits is to imagine a society where those persons/entities with power face no impediments/accountability in their dealings with less powerful persons. It's all a bunch of hippy nonsense... until the the nearby chemical company pollutes your property with hazardous chemicals that sickens your child. Then you lawyer up and stop complaining about abstract concepts such as litigious societies.

In this case, there might very well be NCAA abuse of power. They might be illegally trying to constrain legally protected (and court decided) rights of individuals. Their attempts to do so might be inflicting actual reputational damages to the school and the individuals. If so, lawyer up and in the words of Johnny: "attack, attack, attack, always attack!"

The NCAA has no ground to stand on here and knows it will lose the case. there statement to me reads as please don’t sue us, think about all the other schools.

I think a state AG should concentrate on fulfilling his or her regular duties first.

I understand though, that they are politicians and may not be able to resist ganging up on the NCAA for the popularity.
Protecting individuals’ rights are the primary duties of the state attorney general. Be specific with your statement.

The NCAA has painted themselves into a corner. If they back down, they prove they have zero power. If they fight it, it will expose in court the NCAA for the frauds they are.

Retroactively enforcing rules that didn’t exist is laughable and the conferences will fight this attack on NIL as well. Discovery against the NCAA would break them.

Again. The NCAA has just made a fatal mistake and it’s over for them.
I sure hope your right Franklin. Those SOBs have made my stomach hurt enough these last few years.

Reactions: Franklin_Vol09
We’re already on probation. We have to say that. We did the same thing several other collectives did, but it was still illegal under the rules.

Same with FSU, the staffer drove a recruit to see the collective so they could work out a deal. And they just got hit with pretty hefty penalties.

It’s like speeding, sure everyone is speeding, but if you are the only one that gets pulled over, you were still doing something illegal.
Were we really speeding, when there is no speed limit posted or written into the Law?

Seems like the AG of Tennessee was ready as well.
This is really fast when talking @ 2 STATES bringing a case. They were ready for months IMO. It's a big decision. I wish others would join, but they'd be smart to let us take all the risk.

This is really fast when talking @ 2 STATES bringing a case. They were ready for months IMO. It's a big decision. I wish others would join, but they'd be smart to let us take all the risk.

If there is any truth to the rumors about Alabama being the principle complainant, we can count out the GUMP state in joining us to help.

There were rules broken supposedly. We were doing the same thing every other collective was doing. But, we had some loud mouth people basically bragging about what they did to get Nico here, and the NCAA got involved.

The football program was not allowed to have any contact or coordination with Spyre prior to 2023. Nico was being recruited before the rules changed, and the football program was coordinating with Spyre. Hence the issue. It’s legal now since the rule changed, but was illegal then. But, if they start looking, everyone was doing it, which is why the rule changed

When the contact occurred doesn't matter.
The NCAA NIL restrictions were illegal. The Supreme Court said so by a 9-0 decision.

The state of Tennessee has already joined the State of Virginia's federal lawsuit against the NCAA. More states are likely to do do.

The NCAA is going to get hit with so many lawsuits that they won't have enough lawyers to defend them all, let alone win them.

The NCAA doesn't have subpoena power, either. Every school that they investigate should copy UNC, refuse to provide documents, and tell them to GTH. So should Spyre and every other NIL collectives and donor.

This is how the NCAA gets replaced as the Division 1 football governing body. This is how the NCAA outs the final nails in their own coffin.

Reactions: Kdbnab1
We’re already on probation. We have to say that. We did the same thing several other collectives did, but it was still illegal under the rules.

Same with FSU, the staffer drove a recruit to see the collective so they could work out a deal. And they just got hit with pretty hefty penalties.

It’s like speeding, sure everyone is speeding, but if you are the only one that gets pulled over, you were still doing something illegal.
FSU is suing the NCAA about this and they're likely to win.

Somebody hose this man down.

If anybody thinks that college athletics doesn't need a governing body, and that there needs to rules/regulations/boundaries related to the many issues involved in college athletics, including of course recruiting, then they're insane. It goes without saying that if the NCAA were instead investigating, say, Oklahoma, no Vol fans would be the least bit put out. The notion that the NCAA is trying "bully" student-athletes is just plain stupid.
You don’t think the NCAA fired a shot across Nico’s bow?

VN Store

Back