Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

You mentioned a particular kid by name and you said you don’t wish him well. That’s enough.

It’s been a long day of “if’s” but at this moment, he’s still on the roster and there’s at the very least a chance he won’t read this junk, nobody he knows reads this junk, and if I’m being honest, how would you like it?
How would I like it? Honestly, it wouldn't phase me, but I guess I've lived a lot more life than he has.

Not going to argue over it. I was just curious about the why.

No confirmation from the local beat writers yet. They are both monitoring things.

fwiw it is my belief any such move by Burns would be way more about developing under a new pitching coach than NIL money.

bold prediction: Anderson retired and Burns stays

Reactions: knoxvol52
Hard for me to imagine Burns or Beam leaving. I know people will say "but NIL", but both these kids are a year away from being draft picks. Probably high draft picks. Is one year of NIL really worth the risk of going somewhere completely new and unfamiliar? JMO, but it makes better business sense to stay here one more year, keep working with the pitching coach you're already familiar with, playing for the team you've already given so much to, and get to that payday next year. But what do I know? Maybe they think that instant gratification $$$ is worth it?
Ask Skenes

No bet on my part. I just think the two are connected in a reverse Hoosiers type way

I respectfully disagree. Glad to see you back here, please come back, more often.

also, if I'm choosing between a coach and a player, I'm taking the coach all day every day, especially with the pedigree of CFA

fwiw it is my belief any such move by Burns would be way more about developing under a new pitching coach than NIL money.

bold prediction: Anderson retired and Burns stays
There are not many in the business that’s as good of pitching coach as Anderson. The Vols have finished in the top 20 nationally in ERA, WHIP, strikeout-to-walk ratio and walks allowed per nine innings in each of the past four seasons. Anderson has overseen some of the nation’s top pitching staffs during his 39-year coaching career. In total, Anderson’s pitching staffs have finished among the top-25 in the country in ERA 15 times, including nine top-10 rankings.

Also wasn’t he named the 2022 Rawlings Pitching Coach of the year? In my opinion, if Burns leave sit will be solely based on him being upset getting moved to the Bullpen. I think if Vitello would guarantee that he would be the Friday or Saturday starter he would stay. Make no bones about it, he did not like getting moved to the pen and he is on record stating that he wants to start going forward that he has always started his entire career growing up.

He was asked by knoxnews reporter what was next after the season was over and his statement was that he was gonna take what made him successful this year and use next year going forward. He also stated that he has always started his entire career and looks to be a starter next year again. I hope he don’t transfer, but if someone like LSU, TCU or Vandy promises him a starting role on Friday and Vitello don’t, then I think we can see him going. I honestly believes it comes down to being a starter with him. I don’t think NIL is playing a major role here. But I have been wrong many times before and could be wrong now.

and we’ve been twice, so your stadium nonsense is nonsense

Florida hasn’t been since 2018 until this year. Miss St and Ole Miss are dead for a few more years. With your reasoning, LSU and Arkansas should be there every year and they aren’t
Let's go back to football build it they will come hehehe. Neyland has always been, go back 15 years B4 Hype we stunk . High school stadium Missouri beat us like a drum . We have the coaches in all sports now that will compete for championships . Another thing renovation takes longer than to build new. This baseball team will compete as long as TV is here. We'll be fine with or without Burns but yes it would hurt.

There are not many in the business that’s as good of pitching coach as Anderson. The Vols have finished in the top 20 nationally in ERA, WHIP, strikeout-to-walk ratio and walks allowed per nine innings in each of the past four seasons. Anderson has overseen some of the nation’s top pitching staffs during his 39-year coaching career. In total, Anderson’s pitching staffs have finished among the top-25 in the country in ERA 15 times, including nine top-10 rankings.

Also wasn’t he named the 2022 Rawlings Pitching Coach of the year? In my opinion, if Burns leave sit will be solely based on him being upset getting moved to the Bullpen. I think if Vitello would guarantee that he would be the Friday or Saturday starter he would stay. Make no bones about it, he did not like getting moved to the pen and he is on record stating that he wants to start going forward that he has always started his entire career growing up.

He was asked by knoxnews reporter was was next after the season was over and his statement was that he was gonna take what made him successful this year and use next year going forward. He also stated that he has always started his entire career and looks to be a starter next year again. I hope he don’t transfer, but if someone like LSU, TCU or Vandy promises him a starting role on Friday and Vitello don’t, then I think we can see him going. I honestly believes it comes down to being a starter with him. I don’t think NIL is playing a major role here. But I have been wrong many times before and could be wrong now.

I like Anderson. I think he’s great BUT he’s old school. He doesn’t use the technology or new age stuff like many of the younger pitching coaches. Some players don’t like that even if the results tell them they are wrong.

Reactions: txbo and Titan05

He was asked by knoxnews reporter what was next after the season was over and his statement was that he was gonna take what made him successful this year and use next year going forward. He also stated that he has always started his entire career and looks to be a starter next year again. I hope he don’t transfer, but if someone like LSU, TCU or Vandy promises him a starting role on Friday and Vitello don’t, then I think we can see him going. I honestly believes it comes down to being a starter with him. I don’t think NIL is playing a major role here. But I have been wrong many times before and could be wrong now.
the one thing about about Tony, he's never going to guarantee anything. He will only guarantee you a chance to compete for playing time.

I don't see how facilities are overrated. They are always going to be a factor. Vitello is just that good at recruiting and has a proven track record. Coaching/success/distance to home are always going to be at the top when it comes to recruiting factors. School history/prestige and facilities are likely the next tier down but for some kids could be just as important as the first tier.
Stadium is definitely overrated. Players facilities are much more important - training facilities, team rooms, etc. stadiums are for fans.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
the one thing about about Tony, he's never going to guarantee anything. He will only guarantee you a chance to compete for playing time.
And that’s what I’m afraid of, thus leading his way to transfere. I hope he don’t leave, but it appears he has guarantees from LSU, and Vandy. Hoping it’s just rumors.

I like Anderson. I think he’s great BUT he’s old school. He doesn’t use the technology or new age stuff like many of the younger pitching coaches. Some players don’t like that even if the results tell them they are wrong.
And yet UT had the #1 staff in the country last year, and the #2 staff this year when it comes to ERA, WHIP, K’s per 9, K’s to walk ratio. Don’t need to new school stuff if the old school stuff is working. If it’s not broke don’t fix it!!

And that’s what I’m afraid of, thus leading his way to transfere. I hope he don’t leave, but it appears he has guarantees from LSU, and Vandy. Hoping it’s just rumors.
I think CTV will stand his ground, and he's not about to let the players control the program. If, by chance, someone leaves or doesn't commit because of a lack of a guarantee, so be it. We are arguably a Top 5 program doing things the CTV way........

And yet UT had the #1 staff in the country last year, and the #2 staff this year when it comes to ERA, WHIP, K’s per 9, K’s to walk ratio. Don’t need to new school stuff if the old school stuff is working. If it’s not broke don’t fix it!!

Yea that’s why I said the results show them they are wrong in the post.

I can confirm this.

Skenes' story is very different than Burns' story. They're not really comparable.
Skenes didn’t “develop” till he got to LSU. At Air Force he was really good but not great like now. His fast ball was around 92-95mph. And now just in 1 year he’s consistently 100mph. He wasn’t projected into top 10 pick prior to LSU. Now he will be the #1 pick.
Burns has been elite since his first day on campus. He has projected 1st round since last year once he is eligible. I’m hoping Burns stay as he will have a chance to do something special next year if he starts every game. He has the ability to strike out 10-15 every game as a starter. I think ge has the ability to push for the K record a year after Skenes broke it. But it will all come down to Vitello rather he stays or not.

Skenes didn’t “develop” till he got to LSU. At Air Force he was really good but not great like now. His fast ball was around 92-95mph. And now just in 1 year he’s consistently 100mph. He wasn’t projected into top 10 pick prior to LSU. Now he will be the #1 pick.
Burns has been elite since his first day on campus. He has projected 1st round since last year once he is eligible. I’m hoping Burns stay as he will have a chance to do something special next year if he starts every game. He has the ability to strike out 10-15 every game as a starter. I think ge has the ability to push for the K record a year after Skenes broke it. But it will all come down to Vitello rather he stays or not.
Vitello can’t pay him himself. It comes down to Spyre and the people donating to it.

Reactions: knoxvol52

VN Store

Back