Portal Activity (News and Rumors)

He literally guaranteed Ahuna the lead off role to get him to come here
He wouldn’t guarantee Skenes a weekend role and he wouldn’t guarantee White a spot in the field, and that’s from about as close to CTV’s mouth as you can get, so I don’t believe he guaranteed Ahuna that.

If it's about personal reasons I understand, but if is about money it's bs.i have been drilled many times on here complaining aboutthis NIL thing it will ruin college athletics it's not about the University anymore it's what can you do for me. Might as well say it's a pay for play.
I don’t think you can generically lump all players into the “money” bucket. Some, yes. However, there are players that don’t seem to fit that idea: Dickey, Connell, and Merritt are examples. There are others, too.

See I told you he’d still tell me i was wrong

Because you have quite literally almost always been wrong. You spent an entire off-season complaining about Vitello leaving us and guaranteeing it would happen. Has Burns actually left yet? He isn’t even officially in the portal. He might leave but I have never seen someone who relishes negative news quite like you. It’s like you yearn for it happen. Like it fuels your life.

I don’t think you can generically lump all players into the “money” bucket. Some, yes. However, there are players that don’t seem to fit that idea: Dickey, Connell, and Merritt are examples. There are others, too.
I'm just old I guess and change isn't my best quality lol.

I like Anderson. I think he’s great BUT he’s old school. He doesn’t use the technology or new age stuff like many of the younger pitching coaches. Some players don’t like that even if the results tell them they are wrong.
How was this not evident in the recruiting process, though? If any of our current pitchers are unhappy with his methods, teaching style, or the way Anderson does his job...and successfully does it, I'll add...they have no one to blame but themselves.

I will not discuss rumors but I will give insight into Chase Burns. He is a big introvert. He is a great young man but is slow to let people into his life. He hates interviews or being in the spotlight. I had to work real hard to get him to let me in. But now my wife and I are there. He comes across as mad or not fitting in but he just struggles letting people get to know him. He is Kirby’s apartment mate abd they have become great friends. He will definitely need a publicist when he is drafted. But again a greasy young man. Don’t read body language as the whole of him.
No need to do him like that. 🤭

We have a path for Burns to start here, but he needs to develop a good third pitch. His fastball and slider are great. I get why he wants to start, but without that third pitch, he's a bullpen guy at the next level. Looking for a "promise" to start is weak. A true competitor earns everything and doesn't look to just have things handed to him. I hope Chase stays and earns that Friday night starting spot.
Tony hinted at Burnes starting a World Series game if we continued on. He would promise him a starting spot if that’s what it took.

How was this not evident in the recruiting process, though? If any of our current pitchers are unhappy with his methods, teaching style, or the way Anderson does his job...and successfully does it, I'll add...they have no one to blame but themselves.

Tenn was burns first and only bigtime offer iirc
and he committed immediately

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I will not discuss rumors but I will give insight into Chase Burns. He is a big introvert. He is a great young man but is slow to let people into his life. He hates interviews or being in the spotlight. I had to work real hard to get him to let me in. But now my wife and I are there. He comes across as mad or not fitting in but he just struggles letting people get to know him. He is Kirby’s apartment mate abd they have become great friends. He will definitely need a publicist when he is drafted. But again a greasy young man. Don’t read body language as the whole of him.
What people seem to forget is that in the end these are still young adults that don't have things figured out. They are still trying to find their way. No one can make those decisions for them. Could he make a mistake, sure, but he could also get it right. I've got my own 21 & 23 year olds that are still trying to find their way. If he leaves, then thank you for your time in the orange & white (and gray & black, lol). If he stays, GBO! I have a feeling CB will be just fine no matter his choice.

I hope Burns stays but if he leaves I wish him the best. He has to make the best decision for his future and no one on here knows what is best for him. I suspect he is in discussions with TV and his family trying to figure out what is next.

Last edited:
I hope he stays.

Can you have Kirby talk him into it?

That second part's a joke btw, for those with broken sarcasm meters.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
VQ said that as of this morning, Burns is not in the transfer portal. Also said that once a player files paperwork, the university has 48 hours to put the player in the portal. A weekend entry might not show up in the portal until Monday.

VQ is continuing to ask questions and monitor things.

Tenn was burns first and only bigtime offer iirc
and he committed immediately
Burns was drafted. Burns was projected to go higher than what he was but he publicly told teams not to draft him as he was going to UT. That’s the story I remember. He was throwing 98mph in high school and had offers at big time baseball schools. Vandy wanted him bad. He was drafted in the 20th round by San Diego after his senior season

VQ said that as of this morning, Burns is not in the transfer portal. Also said that once a player files paperwork, the university has 48 hours to put the player in the portal. A weekend entry might not show up in the portal until Monday.

VQ is continuing to ask questions and monitor things.
I wish somebody can make their minds up one says no and then another site says he has that's why the media sucks😃just playing about media maybe

If Burns does enter the portal, then so be it. While I’d love for him to stay, I also realize the current climate of college athletics. College coaches essentially have to re-recruit their rosters each season.

Our baseball program is on solid ground, and Coach V and staff will continue to recruit at a high level.

Last edited:
I hope Burns stays but if he leaves I wish him the best. He has to make the best decision for his future and no one on here knows what is best for him. I suspect he is in discussions with TV and his family trying to figure out what is next.

Well, let me just put it this way — I wouldn’t let my own kids go to Alabama, so I don’t wish it on Chase Burns either. And Alabama is just one example — there are others 😎

Reactions: volfan411
If Burns does enter the portal, then so be it. While I’d love for him to stay, I also realize the current climate of college athletics. College coaches currently have to re-recruit their rosters each season.

Our baseball program is on solid ground, and Coach V and staff will continue to recruit at a high level.
That's correct one player does not make the team!!!!!

To lose Burns and Beam, not gonna lie, I will be distraught and one of you might have to talk me down off the Henley Street Bridge.

Why would they be unhappy here?
Who said Beam is leaving? Beam is happy here and will move into the Friday or Saturday night role next year.

VN Store

Back