Praying Before Game WILL NOT BE STOPPED AT UT (merged)

:machgun:To make sense of prayer! We have seen our country slowly but surely fall apart since prayer was removed from school..... God built this country and is the sole reason this country was as great as it was>>>>>IF WE DONT HOLD GODS WORD TO THE CENTER OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THIS COUNTRY AS WE KNOW IT WILL FALL FLAT ON ITS FACE!!! IT IS ON THE WAY NOW !!!!! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!! WE NEED GOD MORE NOW THAN EVER..... GOD,GUNS,GUTS AND GLORY MADE AMERICA WE NEED ALL FOUR!!!!

Dear lord...you are serious aren't you?

:machgun:To make sense of prayer! We have seen our country slowly but surely fall apart since prayer was removed from school..... God built this country and is the sole reason this country was as great as it was>>>>>IF WE DONT HOLD GODS WORD TO THE CENTER OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA THIS COUNTRY AS WE KNOW IT WILL FALL FLAT ON ITS FACE!!! IT IS ON THE WAY NOW !!!!! WAKE UP AMERICA!!!!!! WE NEED GOD MORE NOW THAN EVER..... GOD,GUNS,GUTS AND GLORY MADE AMERICA WE NEED ALL FOUR!!!!

Dear lord...you are serious aren't you?

If that post is in arabic, then it's the Terrorist's decree, no?

This thread is bulletin board material for Jesus.

But seriously. God did not build America.

These people talking about what a horror society will be when people turn away from the god they believe in? Have they ever been to a country where atheism is the rule and not the exception?

In Sweden maybe 20-25% believe in god and they have a wonderful society...low crime, low levels of corruption, etc...just a silly argument.

Reactions: 3 people
They aren't removing God from anywhere, he answer's prayers, you don't have to have someone else pray for you to talk to him (unless you are Catholic, but these weren't Catholic priests praying at UT).

Just my two cents.

Typical Bible belt, ignorant belief. Educate yourself (and im not referring to watching the DaVinci Code) before making asinine assumptions based on what your Bible thumping-everyone-that -doesn't-believe-as-I-do-is-going-to-hell preachers tell you.

Just my two cents.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe if Dooley went all Templar on their butts and yelled "GOD WILLS IT!" before everygame, we might fight like zealots againts the heathern kings of the East and West! Seriously, nothing motivates like a good ole Holy war....:)

I believe in God. I believe a teacher lived some 2000 years ago and his name was Jesus. I actually cannot prove either of those as a fact of knowledge. I accept that there was a historical Jesus based on cultural developments and limited scholarship. I also think Mohammed lived, and Abraham Lincoln. I have a bit more data on Lincoln.

Based on my readings of the Bible I think Jesus was a rebel against the established religious order. It seems ironic to me that much of what he taught is essentially basic common decency and many people today, the loudest and most persistent, who claim his title (Christian), in practice, reject much of his teachings. Their religion, in his words, is but traditions and rules taught by men. They are slaves to legalism and rituals and neglect the spirit.

It is as in the spirit of this thread amazing to me that people can listen to Jesus say don't be like the Pharisees and teachers of the law who stand on street corners to pray but rather go into your closet to pray and your heavenly Father who sees in secret will reward you in secret. Prayer should not be a boastful thing. I don't fully understand prayer but I believe in it. Not the street corner kind, the real kind, the kind Jesus talked about. I may be wrong about it but my thesis is based on some weird things that have happened in my life and my complete realization that it was far beyond my capacity to mentally grasp or explain. I think there is something there and maybe in time with new discoveries more will be understood by science. Science today does not have all the answers, not even most of the answers. I think it would be a giant leap to say it has even a few of the answers compared to what potentially could be known a billion years from now but I don't think there is anything that seperates science from true religion. In fact I think religion is truth and love. That's all it is in my view. Honesty and love. Truth is not written in a book. It is written in the heart. It is a living spirit and without Love it is powerless. Even Jesus said I will not judge you but my words will judge you. Many people worship some image of Jesus the man and neglect his words. Oh they honor him with their lips but as he warned their hearts are far from him. In the book of Revelation the rider on the horse (the good guy) has a name written on him and that name is the Word of God. If you think the word of God is the Bible then I think you miss the boat. If it's not in your heart then for you it doesn't exist. The Bible can be your path to the word of God as it were but there is a distinction to be discovered.

Jesus was a religious rule breaker of the first order and the mobs previously enslaved to those religious leaders and teachers who lorded over them followed him, so the story goes, so much so that in the end those establishment folks decided he had to go.

I think establishment religion today is the same religious spirit that existed in his day and were he to walk among us today he would be marked as an imposter.

I think there is a lot of history in the Bible. It is a record of a civilization and yes we can learn from human history. I think there are some high moral values one can learn if so inclined but those values are taught in many schools of thought, religious and otherwise.

I don't fully grasp as much about the universe or even biological life as some who are dedicated to the study of such things but I have some basic knowledge. What I don't understand I chalk up to the mystery of God and I don't accept claims that anyone else has a complete revelation.

One passage in the New Testament says that the letter kills but the spirit gives life and I've always taken that to mean one sort of has to weave what is learned from the Bible into its context with everything else including real life itself. Picking and choosing when to be literal and when to be insightful is in my view self righteous and deceitful. I think we have to be truly honest with ourself and if we are then we will afford other people the space to be honest with themselves and in many instances disagree with us. I recognize there is some possibility that I could be completely wrong about everything I think I know but the best I can do is be honest with myself. I could never be a Jim Jones follower.

One man considers one thing sacred, another man something else, but one should be convinced in his own mind. And if on some things you disagree then perhaps in time God will make it plain for you.

I have friends who believe the earth is only a few thousand years old and that belief is based on some geneological record in the Bible beginning with the Genesis creation story. Peter writing in the New Testament says that people deliberately forget that with the Lord a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day. Think about that and then just accept the fact that I'm not going to be a believer in the young earth theory because of someone else's interpretation of literature written a few thousand years ago. It's okay with me if you choose to believe that and I'll even go you one better. I'll admit that in some wierd inconceivable way you may turn out to be right but honestly now do you think it's really going to matter to either of us in the long run.

I don't believe God is a man. I don't believe God is a Human. I believe God outstretches my capacity to have a discriptive concept just as it is unlikely that I will ever travel several billion light years to reach the outer edge of the observable universe. Even if I could do that I would anticipate my concept of God would stretch far beyond that. In God we live and move and have our every being. The failure of most religions in my view is that they make God a man with supernatual powers. It is in my view a primitive model designed for relative ease of control by an establishmet.

The war on science by elements of establishment religions is in my view a means to an end, a means to maintaining power and control. It is dishonest and deceitful and destructive and history is littered with that record of destruction.

One of many amusing tidbits I take from the Bible is the claim that the Israelites were God's chosen people. Who wrote that? Answer: The Israelites. So in that same spirit I would like to proclaim that Tennessee is God's Chosen Football Team! I can do that because I am doing the writing and I am a Vol.

Finally, no greater truth do I know than this which also comes from the Bible, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowlege." If you already know all about God and Life and Everything then you don't really have any fear of the Lord. It's simple math. Fear = Beginning not end. Fear is in my view recognizing we may not be as smart and righteous as we may think and on many matters our understanding may be completely wrong.

If anyone took the time to read this well I could have gone on longer, all night even, but I didn't want anyone to fall out of an upper floor window as I have yet to discover the power to raise the dead. (Translation: I trade the overnight futures markets and tonight was a slow night).

Go Vols and Thank You God for your support of the Big Orange!

This country has lostit's moral compass. Next thing you know we will be praying to the almighty Barack O'Bama con man extrodinaire. Should be plenty of people responding since 50% of American's are on the take. Obviously this country has changed.

i think that is ridiculous. of course cheeks dumb butt will probably remove it. that is the way the government and country operates things now. gotta bow down to the ones that are the minority.
Christians aren't the minority..and if they were all of em would be so mad if the team was Muslim or Buddhist praying b4 the game..I am a Christian but this is the USA and people don't have to be forced on to religions

Reactions: 2 people
Given the topic I was going to attempt to be delicate but it’s so hard when there’s such idiocy and ignorance on this board…

The United States is NOT a Christian nation; it is a secular nation which allows every citizen the right to hold whatever ideology they wish.

And yes religious FREEDOM was a significant reason we came to exist. That freedom means ANY religion or even NO religion.

I’ll bump a previous post only because many just joining this thread won’t read the earlier ones….

Reactions: 1 person
There are different denominations/ religions represented at the game......the prayers are required to be non denominational and just for a good, safe game......the reason we don't allow a Muslim to say a prayer is bc currently our citizens are being attacked and killed in the name of that religion.....granted its extremists but still very sensitive subject to all Americans

And I don't see how people can believe in something they have never physically seen, or can answer how he got here in the 1st place in a LOGICAL answer. It's all faith but u can have faith in anything.

It's called Faith. Hebrews 11:1. Did you believe TN would beat FL? Believe an SEC team will win it all again? How about believing your girl is faithful to you? You haven't physically seen any of those things.

Reactions: 3 people
There are different denominations/ religions represented at the game......the prayers are required to be non denominational and just for a good, safe game......the reason we don't allow a Muslim to say a prayer is bc currently our citizens are being attacked and killed in the name of that religion.....granted its extremists but still very sensitive subject to all Americans

There is a difference between Levitical law(old testament) and the New Testament. One deals with the sacrificing of animals so that the blood would be attoinment for sins from the previous year. The other deals with the blood of Jesus and for those who believe that his blood shed and sacrifice was for attoinment of all of mankind who choose to believe.

Back in Levitical law the priest would take the sacrifice back inside to the Holy of Holy, if the priest was not of true heart, he would not return out from the Holy of Holy. That is why the priests wore large ropes around their waist, if they died they could be pulled out without someone having to go inside.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not so sure about that. The minority is the new majority and the majority has become the minority. Being a married, heterosexual, caucasian, Christian male, i'm discriminated against everyday in favor of something, anything other than me.

You seriously don't believe that BS do you?

should never be taken out of the game for neyland for that matter.

no offense, but this is a nation of many religions. if you're going to mention "jesus christ" shouldn't you mention all religious figureheads? that's a silly notion so leave worship to a place of worship. this was done 20 years ago everywhere else except the deep south.

oh yeah, if god is real, he probably doesn't give a shart about football either.

These people talking about what a horror society will be when people turn away from the god they believe in? Have they ever been to a country where atheism is the rule and not the exception?

In Sweden maybe 20-25% believe in god and they have a wonderful society...low crime, low levels of corruption, etc...just a silly argument.

yep, they're missing the point. science, education and the inability to keep new generations in an educational vacuum are the demise of religion. you are free to believe whatever you want. having a religious prayer before a game isn't going to save the country from the "devil."

It's just more of the minority projecting their "causes" on the majority. Tragically we've come to see this as the norm in America. Ooooh we can't offend so and so....oooooh we have to do the same for such and such. A certain level of courtesy and tolerance must be given....but when we try to please everyone, by doing nothing, we walk ourselves further towards the boundary of where America ends, and the rest of the world begins.

Here is my opinion. I choose to pray, someone else may not. We both chose to go to a function, why should I be told I can't pray when its a voluntary function I am attending? If prayer bothers you that much, why go to a voluntary function that includes prayer?

Also, is it a Church vs State issue when the athletic department is a separate entity from the University? Last I checked it is a free standing enterprise funded through donations, is that not correct?

VN Store

Back