Praying Before Game WILL NOT BE STOPPED AT UT (merged)

A bit incomplete. I asked you to explain the assumptions made in each-- which you failed to include.

Radiocarbon dating assumes (1) the amount of carbon in the fossil/rock being tested, (2) the ratio of C12 and C14 in the atmosphere at the time of the sample, and (3) that the decay rate of C14 has remained static over time.

The dating of rock strata, as you alluded to, makes assumptions based on procedures that make assumptions. In other words, RCD is used to date rock strata, which are used to date RCD.

I truly don't know. I'm simply stating that I believe the procedures used to establish long eons are flawed and your best way of defending an old earth is appeal to authority.

What percentage of geologists would you reckon share your view that this is not settled science as far as its accuracy? I was taught all the same garbage in my little church of christ sunday school about how it was very inaccurate and so forth...it's settled science.

This is just too priceless. Thank you.

So, would you say that your trust in the assumptions of the geological community has "shut off your inquisitive thought"?

You are a question wrapped in an enigma, dude...

I am in a business thata witnesses horrible things everyday. I cannot answer why there is suffering in this world.

That's right. No one can.

But no matter what I will never question God. The whole question comes to down to freedom of religion.

No, it doesn't.

If the University of Tennessee wants to say a prayer before a football game, this is America, they have that right.

Actually, no they don't.

If you don't agree, you should respect the overwhelming majority that agrees with it.

Why in the hell should I do that?

If not, well you can move to one of the 21 countries that hate America and burning our flag and cursing our country at this time.

I love America precisely because the majority, according to our Constitution, are not allowed to ride roughshod over the minority.

Reactions: 1 person
Bc they originally theorized we evolved from neanderthals....when they found that.....they had to scramble to try and prove they were separate species

That's what science is about. Asking questions and trying to find logical answers, conducting experiments to reach conclusions, etc. etc.

The only reason we've reached the point we have scientifically is because when scientists discovered they were wrong, they pushed further and tried different things to reach conclusions.

Your argument seems to be that we should continue doing things the way we do because that's how they were done when the country was founded. Correct me if I'm wrong here, I don't want to misunderstand. I agree that everyone has the freedom to worship as they please (or not at all). What I don't understand is why it is a bad thing to change to a moment of silence. Yeah, maybe people shouldn't be so easily offended (it's pretty stupid), but why provide the opportunity for one to be offended when you can easily provide the appropriate time for anybody to do as they please in a moment of silence? The specific reference to the Christian God may appeal to the majority, but let the others have their say as well. I think it would be fine for individuals at the game to lead prayer out loud, so long as it is not through the AD/University/whatever. Let the fans do what they want, but allow everyone equal opportunity instead of forcing one thing on everyone.

I am just tired of people living in the United States of America, those born here and those who immigrated here, wanting our nation to acknowledge their rights individually. The fact you live here as a citizen grants you the freedom to worship, educate, participate, etc as you and your family chose. There is no need for grand standing. Most immigrants that moved here between the 1920's and 1960's did so gladly because of what our nation offered. They were grateful for the opportunity they could have here. They never had to go out and make sure everyone new they worship who ever they want. Just tiered of everyone wanting their rights acknowledged and the majority to conform to their wants.

Bc they originally theorized we evolved from neanderthals....when they found that.....they had to scramble to try and prove they were separate species

that didn't invalidate evolution for chrissakes...good grief. One particular avenue...science continually keeps trying to test and falsify its theories...religion? not so much...

It is absurd to think the earth 6-10,000 yrs old. Does that invalidate religion since this is what was believed until proven otherwise?

When science finds contrary evidence they adjust their thinking...we still have 30-40% of the population w their heads in the sand thinking that earth is <10k...ridiculous

you can't really deny dinosaurs because then you're left with the silly argument that god put the bones in there as a test...too stupid even for the average christian to rationalize.

But I kid you not my buddy's next door neighbor believes humans and dinosaurs roamed the earth together...that just shows a basic shutting off of inquisitive thought, and it's pretty typical.

Much the same as crush trying to act as if radiocarbon or radiometric dating is something other than settled science.

I have never heard a Christian claim that God put the bones in there as a test.

That's what science is about. Asking questions and trying to find logical answers, conducting experiments to reach conclusions, etc. etc.

The only reason we've reached the point we have scientifically is because when scientists discovered they were wrong, they pushed further and tried different things to reach conclusions.
Yes but people take their theories and hypothesis as facts when they are not....I don't believe in evolution yet bc it has yet to be proven to my satisfaction.

SIAP. WBIR reported on their 6 pm broadcast that UT was going to continue the prayer before UT events.

Lot of hate posed in thread. I did not read back to see if this had been posted .

This is just too priceless. Thank you.

So, would you say that your trust in the assumptions of the geological community has "shut off your inquisitive thought"?

You are a question wrapped in an enigma, dude...

it's not an area that is unsettled, although I remain open to contrary evidence.

Are there any geologists who agree w your assertion that this area is unsettled and the conclusions they come to as unreliable?

Last edited:
it used to be the majority ruled in this country now it's the minority and spineless politicians and groups like the one trying to remove it.

Wait so the majority just chooses to ignore the separation of church and state?

it's not an area that is unsettled, although I remain open to contrary evidence.

Are there any geologists who think your assertion of this area and the conclusions they come to as unreliable?

To revisit a previous point: Do you know what an "appeal to authority" is?

For the record...

1. My only assertions have been factual statements as to the assumptionns of the dating methods. I have made no no assertions per the age of the earth.
  2. Yes. There are, in fact, geologists that share my suspicion of dating methods. They were the ones who pointed it out. (I am now predicting a "True Scotsman" fallacy. You didn't disappoint with the repeated appeals to authority.)

Not Everyone is religious. I don't see why it's a big deal. I'm not religious but the prayer doesn't bother me so I don't why it should bother everyone else who is religious if they had a moment of silence instead. Pray then.

Of course you dont know why it would bother those who are religious to not have a prayer... because you arent religious lol

And telling to pray in the moment of silence is the same premise as me saying... when we pray, you just dont pray.

By praying, no one is being forced to pray, but by not praying... people are forced not to pray.

Its called freedom of religion. Some people opt out of it completely and thats fine, but i dont understand why the nonreligious want to rally to stop others from their freedom.

Sure, in a moment of silence, i can pray. Just as in a moment of prayer, they can not pray.

I have never heard a Christian claim that God put the bones in there as a test.

my grandfather gave me that one and I've heard it elsewhere, sporadically within my church growing up. Also had the whole radiocarbon dating thing taught to me. I never thought to ask why geologists were all ignoring these flaws.

To revisit a previous point: Do you know what an "appeal to authority" is?

For the record...

1. My only assertions have been factual statements as to the assumptionns of the dating methods. I have made no no assertions per the age of the earth.
  2. Yes. There are, in fact, geologists that share my suspicion of dating methods. They were the ones who pointed it out. (I am now predicting a "True Scotsman" fallacy. You didn't disappoint with the repeated appeals to authority.)

please show me these geologists

there is nothing wrong with an "appeal to authority" as you state it. We rely on experts and their use of the scientific method all of the time. It is incumbent upon you to do one of three things...either to show that they aren't really experts in their field, to show there is not consensus in the field about the thing with which you disagree, or to show that there is reason to elieve there is a conspiracy by which the real truth is being withheld.

Of course you dont know why it would bother those who are religious to not have a prayer... because you arent religious lol

And telling to pray in the moment of silence is the same premise as me saying... when we pray, you just dont pray.

By praying, no one is being forced to pray, but by not praying... people are forced not to pray.

Its called freedom of religion. Some people opt out of it completely and thats fine, but i dont understand why the nonreligious want to rally to stop others from their freedom.

Sure, in a moment of silence, i can pray. Just as in a moment of prayer, they can not pray.

Would it be ok to have a 10 minute devotional before the game? After all if you don't want to hear it or participate you could just arrive late or go to the restroom or concession stand.

this shows you don't really understand how evolution works...we evolved from common ancestors (not the species that exist TODAY) through random mutations and natural selection as did monkeys, chimpanzees, orangutans, etc...populations that are separated would evolve differently.

Was speaking of natural selection. I do understand how evolution works, it just has as many holes as it does answers. Darwin himself was not privy to the presence of organelles, e.g. and the concept of irreducible complexity.

Was speaking of natural selection. I do understand how evolution works, it just has as many holes as it does answers. Darwin himself was not privy to the presence of organelles, e.g. and the concept of irreducible complexity.

Michael Behe, that you?

Irreducible complexity got absolutely and embarrassingly torn apart at the Dover Creationism trial. There is no such thing...he seemed helpless up there being cross examined on the supposedly irreducibly complex flagellum. Can't believe you guys still trot that out.

After reading the past 5 pages I have determined that we have some very messed up fans. I am waiting on someone to say that Aliens came to this planet and had sex with monkeys and that is how man was formed.

VN Store

Back