Praying Before Game WILL NOT BE STOPPED AT UT (merged)

Volbeast33, you never answered...has the general age of the earth been proven to your satisfaction?

No not really but that could be my own lack of knowledge in their techniques...... I know how they claim to do it but don't totally understand or how accurate it is......I do know some of the carbon dating is not that accurate.

Allow me to set you straight on me since you like to generalize things and think you have it all figured out. Both my grandfathers were Baptist preachers and I was a rebel and hell on wheels. I was not saved at an early age nor did I find salvation early on in life. I smoked pot, cocaine, dropped acid, did pretty much ever drug out except shoot up. No one brainwashed me into anything, I lived on the streets and did far more than I will elaborate here.

Did I find salvation and the true meaning of life? you damn skippy I did and the crap you speak of is based off of a man and his thoughts. I have read the bible 3 times which I would place money on is 3 times more than you have read it. My life has done a 180 compared to how I once was and I only have Jesus to thank for it. So you go ahead thinking you are so wise and have all the answers and anyone who doesn't think your way to be an idiot and less informed. The only person you are hurting is yourself, btw I am not here to get into some childish pissing match with you so please don't bother quoting some jackass that has led you down the path of destruction because i'm not going to read the crap. There comes a time in everyones life where you have to make a stance, i've made mine and feel very comfortable with it, if you can say the same, it is your life live it how you see fit.

Really? You weren't exposed to the story of creation as a very young child? You think I am wrong that the overwhelming majority of creationists were introduced to this at a time when they had no capacity to understand it, as very young children? Like how they believe in Santa Claus?

Is that what you're disagreeing with?

Reactions: 1 person
Really? You weren't exposed to the story of creation as a very young child? You think I am wrong that the overwhelming majority of creationists were introduced to this at a time when they had no capacity to understand it, as very young children? Like how they believe in Santa Claus?

Is that what you're disagreeing with?

If you believe your bold post, try reading a different book.

By the way, since no one has brought it up, shouldn't the activity actually have a result to engage in it? I mean...you're praying for the safety of the players and maybe the fans also, correct? Does anyone truly believe there are less injuries in prayer vs non prayer stadiums?

Does it seem strange that every study shows prayer to be completely ineffective? I mean...does normal common sense evidence not move you guys at all? Is the grip that strong?

There are different denominations/ religions represented at the game......the prayers are required to be non denominational and just for a good, safe game......the reason we don't allow a Muslim to say a prayer is bc currently our citizens are being attacked and killed in the name of that religion.....granted its extremists but still very sensitive subject to all Americans

:unsure:
Uhhhhh.....you can not be serious? America's prisons are full of Christians who have killed others. Several abortion doctors have been killed by Christians in the name of Christianityon American soil. Millions of people and several countries all over the world are being bullied, occupied, threatened, and slaughtered by Americans all in the name of Christianity.

Women's suffrage all in the name of Christianity.....check.

Black's enslavement all in the name of Chrisitianity.....check.

Crusades and Inquisitions and Witch Hunts murdering and slaughtering people by the thousands all in the name of Christianity.....check.

I won't even dive into excessive levels violence perpetrated upon on native Americans and many others throughout history by Christians all in the name of greed. Greed....which is seemingly a Christian trait that historically has known no bounds.

Where do some of you people get your "facts?"

By the way, since no one has brought it up, shouldn't the activity actually have a result to engage in it? I mean...you're praying for the safety of the players and maybe the fans also, correct? Does anyone truly believe there are less injuries in prayer vs non prayer stadiums?

Does it seem strange that every study shows prayer to be completely ineffective? I mean...does normal common sense evidence not move you guys at all? Is the grip that strong?
There are no studies showing prayer to be effective or ineffective LOL

Uhhhhh.....you can not be serious? America's prisons are full of Christians who have killed others. Several abortion doctors have been killed by Christians in the name of Christianityon American soil. Millions of people and several countries all over the world are being bullied, occupied, threatened, and slaughtered by Americans all in the name of Christianity.

Crusades and Inquisitions and Witch Hunts murdering and slaughtering people by the thousands all in the name of Christianity.....check.

I won't even dive into excessive levels violence perpetrated upon on native Americans and many others throughout history by Christians all in the name of greed. Greed....which is seemingly a Christian trait that historically has known no bounds.

I'm not a Christian but everyone that claims to be in god is not a Christian....a true Christian has done none of those things.

Right now fair or not Muslims are killing Americans all over the globe and perception is that Islam is bad.

The prayer should stay. If someone asks for guidance and mercy from God and that REALLY offends you, then you have serious issues and need to figure out WHY that disturbs you so much.

There are no studies showing prayer to be effective or ineffective LOL

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test
Large study had Christians pray for heart-surgery patients

NEW YORK — In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications.

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test - Health - Heart health | NBC News

Meta-studies of the literature in the field have been performed showing evidence only for no effect or a potentially small effect. For instance, a 2006 meta analysis on 14 studies concluded that there is "no discernable effect" while a 2007 systemic review of intercessory prayer reported inconclusive results, noting that 7 of 17 studies had "small, but significant, effect sizes" but the review noted that the most methodologically rigorous studies failed to produce significant findings.[2][3]

The prayer should stay. If someone asks for guidance and mercy from God and that REALLY offends you, then you have serious issues and need to figure out WHY that disturbs you so much.

because we don't want to listen to your silly supernatural bull***t

I don't disagree with anything you said, but we have to be careful with labeling people in general. They can claim to be Christian and do things in the name of Christianity, but they don't embody what being a Christian is supposed to mean. That's why no respectable Christian is going to claim that whatever the WBC is doing is going to fly as 'Christian'.

Those who participated in those things (direct perpetrators, not people who did what they were told because it was what society dictated at the time) knew darn well what they were getting themselves into, and they knew darn well that they were defying God in a manner where the "everyone defies God with every sin" act isn't going to fly. The same applies at much smaller levels, including Christians/Muslims who are judgmental and don't practice the love they preach.

Normally that's all pretty obvious, but it's trickier in this case because organized religion and the religion itself are two completely different things that tend to be lumped in together. That, of course, is even more problematic when dealing with a religion that has so many different branches. I'm a Christian. but I don't expect my philosophies to mesh (religiously, politically or otherwise) with those of most people in the south.

The wrongdoings of a church or individual don't represent Christians or people of that specific denomination, it just represents the particular facade they're trying to create.

I did answer you, you need to read a different book. If you are so naive to think and believe that ...I can't help you.

what book am I reading? and what is it that I said that you disagreed with? Haven't even answered that simple question.

So if you were asked to lead the prayer on Saturday, on behalf of the VolNation......what would u pray for?

I would pray for peoples tolerance of their fellow man so that, even if you aren't religious, you can shut up for a minute while people around you pray. I would also ask that if you are religious try to understand that if mandatory public prayer is ended it is not the end of your faith, and it is not an effort to destroy America.

If you can't keep quiet for a minute while everyone prays without being offended you are a self involved jerk. If you think that removing a mandatory public prayer at a sporting event is a threat to your faith/religion/country you are a paranoid idiot. I don't have the words to express my exasperation with some posts in this thread. Get over yourselves people.

Reactions: 5 people
I don't disagree with anything you said, but we have to be careful with labeling people in general. They can claim to be Christian and do things in the name of Christianity, but they don't embody what being a Christian is supposed to mean. That's why no respectable Christian is going to claim that whatever the WBC is doing is going to fly as 'Christian'.

Those who participated in those things (direct perpetrators, not people who did what they were told because it was what society dictated at the time) knew darn well what they were getting themselves into, and they knew darn well that they were defying God in a manner where the "everyone defies God with every sin" act isn't going to fly. The same applies at much smaller levels, including Christians/Muslims who are judgmental and don't practice the love they preach.

Normally that's all pretty obvious, but it's trickier in this case because organized religion and the religion itself are two completely different things that tend to be lumped in together. That, of course, is even more problematic when dealing with a religion that has so many different branches. I'm a Christian. but I don't expect my philosophies to mesh (religiously, politically or otherwise) with those of most people in the south.

The wrongdoings of a church or individual don't represent Christians or people of that specific denomination, it just represents the particular facade they're trying to create.

Well there certainly are alot of underperforming Christians at Neyland Stadium every game then because every game when I don't remove my hat for their prayer at least one if not several will tell me I should take it off to respect them :)olol:) or am I told I am a bad and evil person :)ermm:) and on more than one occasion have had a very bitter Christian actually swipe my hat from my head. Oh those tolerant and respectful Christians....:mf_surrender:

i would pray for peoples tolerance of their fellow man so that, even if you aren't religious, you can shut up for a minute while people around you pray. I would also ask that if you are religious try to understand that if mandatory public prayer is ended it is not the end of your faith, and it is not an effort to destroy america.

If you can't keep quiet for a minute while everyone prays without being offended you are a self involved jerk. If you think that removing a mandatory public prayer at a sporting event is a threat to your faith/religion/country you are a paranoid idiot. I don't have the words to express my exasperation with some posts in this thread. Get over yourselves people.

+1,000. Can we end this thread here?

a moment of silence is what it should be,if you want to prey,go ahead then,no reason for everybody to have to hear it

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test
Large study had Christians pray for heart-surgery patients

NEW YORK — In the largest study of its kind, researchers found that having people pray for heart bypass surgery patients had no effect on their recovery. In fact, patients who knew they were being prayed for had a slightly higher rate of complications.

Power of prayer flunks an unusual test - Health - Heart health | NBC News

Meta-studies of the literature in the field have been performed showing evidence only for no effect or a potentially small effect. For instance, a 2006 meta analysis on 14 studies concluded that there is "no discernable effect" while a 2007 systemic review of intercessory prayer reported inconclusive results, noting that 7 of 17 studies had "small, but significant, effect sizes" but the review noted that the most methodologically rigorous studies failed to produce significant findings.[2][3]

I once read a really eloquent article written by an ex-pastor who lost his faith after spending decades ministering to folks in the hospital. He finally reached the conclusion that, as far as he could tell, prayer had absolutely nothing to do with whether people got better or not; that the heavily prayed for were no more likely to get better than those who weren't. And since the Bible confidently promises many times that prayer works, it just emptied his faith all the way out.

It sure looks random. And the Bible claims it won't be random.

VN Store

Back