Praying Before Game WILL NOT BE STOPPED AT UT (merged)

If UT caves into these idiots, I will take my money, support and love of UT football elsewhere. Regardless of my or anyone else religious beliefs Tennessee has the right to hold prayer and do what ever they want before a game. The idiots that do not want to partake can eat their hotdogs, drink their cokes, look at the program or whatever the hell else they want to do while those that want to continue the tradition of pray take part.

it would go towards your ability to reason and your level of intellectual curiosity...

I would disagree vehemently. I reason well enough to point out that you tried to prove Darwinian evolution by referring to darwinian evolution as proof of darwinian evolution.

And, I'm curious about LOTs of things.

is it an answer that you are not proud of?

Proud? Do you really believe that you are that important to my self image? You come across as having an overly developed sense of self worth.

I really don't know how old it is. I wasn't there.

Were you?

I would disagree vehemently. I reason well enough to point out that you tried to prove Darwinian evolution by referring to darwinian evolution as proof of darwinian evolution.

And, I'm curious about LOTs of things.

Proud? Do you really believe that you are that important to my self image? You come across as having an overly developed sense of self worth.

I really don't know how old it is. I wasn't there.

Were you?

You have no opinion?

And we don't need to have been there to know when neanderthals lived here, dinosaurs lived here, or in a general sense how old the earth is. To deny that is just to be ignorant of basic science. Good grief.

Are you just completely unaware of how those conclusions are reached? If so, yes, that shows a lack of intellectual curiosity.

right...so lots of other human like species evolved from apes but no way we did...ok

How old do you think the earth is?

if we evolved from apes, how come they are still around? Evolution, using natural selection and mutation - directed processes would result in the predecessor dying out, no?

Evolution works at the micro- (within species), but not the macro- level.

If UT caves into these idiots, I will take my money, support and love of UT football elsewhere. Regardless of my or anyone else religious beliefs Tennessee has the right to hold prayer and do what ever they want before a game. The idiots that do not want to partake can eat their hotdogs, drink their cokes, look at the program or whatever the hell else they want to do while those that want to continue the tradition of pray take part.

No you won't.

Is it really idiotic to request to not be subjected to something you want no part of? A moment of silence is more than appropriate. Everybody who was actually going to pray is still going to pray, and anyone who doesn't want to listen to it doesn't have to. Everyone wins.

Reactions: 1 person
Then they to quit teaching evolution. Can't teach one without the other.

It's already watered down on either side so much that there is really no educational benefit for them teaching either. They try so hard not to offend anybody that all the substance is ripped out. I remember when they taught us about both of these things.

You have no opinion?

And we don't need to have been there to know when neanderthals lived here, dinosaurs lived here, or in a general sense how old the earth is. To deny that is just to be ignorant of basic science. Good grief.

Are you just completely unaware of how those conclusions are reached? If so, yes, that shows a lack of intellectual curiosity.

I am very aware of how those conclusions are reached. Are you?

Explain the underlying assumptions made by carbon dating.

Explain the underlying assumptions made by rock strata dating.

Having done so, we'll take up the conversation once again, and you can defend your position on the facts of the age of the earth, the dates when dinosaurs and neanderthals lived.

Again, I'm agnostic on the whole business. It's not important enough to me to be lathered up about it one way or the other.

if we evolved from apes, how come they are still around? Evolution, using natural selection and mutation - directed processes would result in the predecessor dying out, no?

this shows you don't really understand how evolution works...we evolved from common ancestors (not the species that exist TODAY) through random mutations and natural selection as did monkeys, chimpanzees, orangutans, etc...populations that are separated would evolve differently.

Reactions: 1 person

In all due respect, that argument is a very bad argument against Darwinian evolution. Darwinian evolution does not dictate that the predecessor species die out after the successor species takes hold.

They could both continue to thrive as separate species.

No you won't.

I most certainly will. I Love and Enjoy Tennessee football. Heck even named my son Neyland. But at some point society has to quit caving into every little group that gets offended (mostly for political or media gain). Our freedoms are just that, freedoms. Our country, however, was founded on the values of a Christian nation. It is ok to hold true the values our for-fathers held dear.If you want to live as an American Citizen, please do so, yet do so with the understanding you can worship Buddah, Allah, Darwin, or whoever you choose because you live here in the land of the free. During the prayer that is held you are free pray to your gods, idols, or not at all...but don't be offended and don't expect the core values of a nation to change on your behalf.

I'm no evolutionary biologist, so I'm not sure, but what's to say we evolved from modern primates? Perhaps we and modern primates are derivatives of a more basic primate.

In Chaudhuri v. State of Tennessee, 130 F. 3d 232 (6th Cir. 1997), the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals considered legal challenges to the allowance of prayers at univer*sity functions and the recitation of The Lord’s Prayer [5] at Tennessee State University’s (TSU) graduation ceremony.

Haven't looked at that case, but based on that summary, it doesn't necessarily mean the prayer here is unconstitutional. It's possible the facts here are sufficiently different (the type of prayer, the nature of the event) that a court could reach a different result.

That said, who goes to the stadium to hear a prayer?

VN Store

Back