Praying Before Game WILL NOT BE STOPPED AT UT (merged)

Can some of you not realize the difference between allowing prayer and 102000 people being "led" in prayer? Constitutionally there is a huge difference.

Majority does not rule when it comes to constitutionality. If it did interracial marriage would be illegal in some states and there would be a hunting season in Hispanics in Arizona lol.

Again, like UTC did, a moment of silence will suffice. Let's see how they react when the letter transforms into an actual lawsuit.

I don't care either way, but think if they are going to do it then all religions should be able to give the invocation or whatever they call it.
That comment was from another thread that was merged with this one but point taken.

I am grateful for your enthusiasm and encouragement. If you were only a Tennessee fan I would feel complete :)

Thanks for the kind words.

I went to Catholic school 11 out of 12 years, so I've earned the right to be jaded when it comes to organized religion.

That said, I don't begrudge anyone's right to believe in whatever they choose, even if it means they don't believe in anything at all.

A few gems I have found (I needed a laugh)

"The prayer's not the problem. The problem is they play Rocky Top all the freakin' time and the off key sing along just annoys the hell of you. It's even worse than that Indian chant Florida State plays the whole time they have the ball."

"Lord help us smite the Florida Gators."

"Dear god. We don't care about Heaven. We just want to win this game. Amen!"

"They shouldn't stop the pre-game prayer...UT needs all the help it can get."

Im glad they kept the prayer though. These human rights people cant get everything they want considering we are in the bible belt

Yeah...them saying they'll keep it will probably be the end of it. Come on...

They'll stop or get sued and if they fight it they will waste a lot of money since it has been ruled on by the appeals court for the circuit the tennessee is in and by the supreme court in a case from texas...

Why waste everyone's time and $$ on a guaranteed loser? It's not like this breaks new ground...

Why don't they just pick a home game and let everyone anonymously check Yes or No as they enter Neyland? Majority decides whether or not to keep the prayer. Or, is a democratic vote not good enough for the Freedom From Religion Foundation?

Why don't they just pick a home game and let everyone anonymously check Yes or No as they enter Neyland? Majority decides whether or not to keep the prayer. Or, is a democratic vote not good enough for the Freedom From Religion Foundation?

Because we don't let people vote on constitutional issues or rights...whether its prayer or whether it'd have been ok to have people in south carolina vote on whether they could keep segregation...

Again...this has been decided long ago and could have been stopped years ago if someone wanted to...in 2000 the supremem court said no pregame texas high school prayer even though students almost unanimously voted for it. It's over.

After reading the past 5 pages I have determined that we have some very messed up fans. I am waiting on someone to say that Aliens came to this planet and had sex with monkeys and that is how man was formed.

yesitis2.gif

Sorry if this pisses off any of the super religious around here... but god does not care about football.

All the prayer in the world will not help you as much as being prepared for your opponent.

Not saying I have an opinion on it either way.. I feel if someone wants to pray that is their right.. but no one should be forced to do it, or made to feel bad because they do not share in the beliefs of someone else.

This is america, the land of the free.. and as long as you are not hurting someone else, no one should be able to tell you what to do..

There is way to much of this politically correct BS pushed on people in this country right now, and its coming to a boiling point.

JMOFWIW

It has less to do with hoping God is on our side and more to do with putting things into perspective and honoring God.

Reactions: 2 people
Because we don't let people vote on constitutional issues or rights...whether its prayer or whether it'd have been ok to have people in south carolina vote on whether they could keep segregation...

Again...this has been decided long ago and could have been stopped years ago if someone wanted to...in 2000 the supremem court said no pregame texas high school prayer even though students almost unanimously voted for it. It's over.

Big difference between a one-minute prayer and segregation. I guess you believe if one person at Neyland doesn't want to hear the prayer, they have a constitutional right not to have a one-minute prayer "forced" on them. I believe they have a right to peacefully ignore it.

Big difference between a one-minute prayer and segregation. I guess you believe if one person at Neyland doesn't want to hear the prayer, they have a constitutional right not to have a one-minute prayer "forced" on them. I believe they have a right to peacefully ignore it.

only in degree...we don't let people vote on rights and you don't get to decide whether the imposition is enough to justify it or not...

unconstitutional is unconstitutional. Period.

Then, go right ahead and shake your head.

This isn't about interracial marriage, segregation, or any other dumb comparison that's been thrown out there.

I realize how this is probably going to end...no more prayer in Neyland.

I am just tired of the minority making decisions for the majority over what feels like everything.

I have heard the brief prayer at every UT home game I've ever been to, and now an organization from another state wants to end it. That's my POV. I've never heard of anyone complaining about this tradition until just now.

Reactions: 4 people
Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord. -Psalms 33:12

America is heading down hill and we are becoming a nation that refutes the Lord; Coincidence?

I would say yes considering all of the peaceful, prosperous, low crime societies that are overwhelmingly atheist.

It has less to do with hoping God is on our side and more to do with putting things into perspective and honoring God.

Which I personally agree with, but I would never try to force my beliefs on anyone else.

I love god, and appreciate everything he has done for me in my life.. the blessings he has bestowed on me in my wife and children.

But I would never dream of trying to convert someone from another religion, I would never dream of being one of these idiots standing at a traffic light with a bible in my hands yelling at people and trying to hand out propaganda. That type of stuff is everything that is wrong with religion.

Since we're doing bible verses w Psalms let's focus on the embarrassing ones...like this one...since you guys want god in the stadium and he is repulsed by the handicapped why risk offending him?

Leviticus 21

16 The LORD said to Moses, 17 “Say to Aaron: ‘For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God. 18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed; 19 no man with a crippled foot or hand, 20 or who is hunchbacked or dwarfed, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles.

Reactions: 2 people

How can you possibly think his decision matters when courts have ruled on this?

Courts rule on things all the time. The question is does it apply in this situation.

"Cheek cited a court ruling from the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals that specifically held that “nonsectarian prayer at public university events does not violate the First Amendment.”

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back