PSA: Support Spyre and The Volunteer Club

Man I really disagree with this.

A $300 a year member had access to 13! all you can eat and drink tailgates this season. Access to go to Night at Neyland, Hoops and Holiday's, Signing day celebrations, The Porch baseball outings. All of these had booze and food and player access.

If you don't think that is taking care of people who are donating $300 per year I'm not sure you'll ever be happy with what we are doing.
I dont attend games because of where I live. Those events are not for everyone and are only catered towards people who can travel to Knoxville. So what, maybe 20% of the fanbase? And that’s being generous.

There’s so much more money out there than that. Cmon man, think big picture. Ole miss has 7000 members. Where is spyre now?

I dont attend games because of where I live. Those events are not for everyone and are only catered towards people who can travel to Knoxville. So what, maybe 20% of the fanbase? And that’s being generous.

There’s so much more money out there than that. Cmon man, think big picture. Ole miss has 7000 members. Where is spyre now?
I also live 6 hours away.

I made it to two games and I promise you the two tailgates I attended was well worth my $300...also I view my $300 as a donation anyway so ANYTHING I get I view as a bonus.

I would like to see them increase their offerings for folks out of town more than just the merch discounts, ect. Maybe everyone who lives more than 3 hours away do more free mailers with a Koozie and an autograph here or there.

I've shared that and will continue to.

And I agree that Ole Miss having more members is frustrating and that is why I say those who aren't joining ours are hurting us because we are behind a school like Ole Miss and that's pretty pathetic with our larger fanbase.

Fans needs to stop fighting it and join so we don't take a backseat to anyone! GBO!

Support the Vol Club as it's the most direct way to ensure we have a good football product. Comparatively attending games doesn't even matter. Miami has an empty football stadium that isn't even their own yet is able to offer huge amounts of money because of a few deep pocketed supporters. They have more people worth $100M+ than Tennessee... as do Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan, Ohio St, Notre Dame, USC among others. If it's a who has more rich people, we lose. We win with everyone we can giving a little. The difference between a Jeb Bush campaign vs. a Donald Trump/Bernie Sanders one.

Tennessee has more than enough well-heeled fans to support a competitive NIL collective. I get what Spyre and The Volunteer Club are trying to do, but I would expect the brunt of the collective's coffers to be filled by a very small portion of the fanbase, the same people (understandably) privy to exactly how the money is being spent. I would also expect a very sizable portion of the collective to be funded by corporations, and notice that the three companies advertising on the back of the scoreboard are absent from the collective's group of sponsors (seems like they'd be pretty low-hanging fruit to get involved).

At the very bottom of the hierarchy is where general donations should exist, and I'm not sure that bullying the fanbase into donating when they receive nothing but a few stickers and a t-shirt along with a "trust us, your money is in good hands!" promise is a great strategy. Ultimately, I just don't think that this NIL collective is being handled very effectively. There are so many things that a club could offer its members, especially if the minimum donation for Checkerboard membership were raised to $50 or $98 a month, that would get participants feeling involved and valued but I'm just not seeing any of them. Some sort of membership card awarding special offers with your partners/sponsors? A members-only forum which, unlike TOS, has a somewhat lofty barrier of entry? Event access is discussed at the Smokey tier, but details are super vague and I'm sure there's more to offer on that front. Even if they're puff pieces, why not hire a beat reporter or two that covers the AD and would presumably benefit from some special access/insight given Spyre/The Volunteer Club's close relationship with the school?

People want to belong to something and, as it's presently structured, The Volunteer Club doesn't appear to be offering the sense of community/belonging one might (rightfully) expect for parting with their money. Until that changes, the effort would be better off having Haslam on speed dial and going that route as opposed to soliciting donations on a Tennessee fan forum and then acting as if non-members aren't true Scotsmen.

Man I really disagree with this.

A $300 a year member had access to 13! all you can eat and drink tailgates this season. Access to go to Night at Neyland, Hoops and Holiday's, Signing day celebrations, The Porch baseball outings. All of these had booze and food and player access.

If you don't think that is taking care of people who are donating $300 per year I'm not sure you'll ever be happy with what we are doing.
I fall into a few different demographics as a Vol Club member who contributes at this level and a member who is outside of the local area.

I think the point is valid in regards to the tailgate and other opportunities. We generally only make it down to a game a year/every other year. But we made sure to check out the tailgate. I actually made the point that if I were local I'd come hang out at the tailgate and eat and drink my 300.00 worth throughout the season regardless if I actually had gameday tickets or not. Same with the local events, I'd be at most all of them meeting players and getting autographs etc.

From my perspective however, these things in and of themselves probably don't move the needle for those lucky enough to live within driving distance. It certainly doesn't compare to the benefit of giving directly to the school for season tickets etc. So I understand if those accustomed to giving in that way may see no additional value of Spyre.

I think there's an untapped market in an alumni/fan base that's outside the local Knoxville market. I live 8 hours away and my 25.00 a month contribution is something that helps me feel a connection I'm not able to support by attending local events.

I've also enjoyed being able to purchase directly from the Vol Shop as a member. My son asked for autographed memorabilia for both birthday and Christmas this year, so just being able to access these items have a considerable value add for me. I'd also made plans to attend the signing day celebration that didn't happen this year.

Overall, I'm pleased with the value I feel my membership provides.

I fall into a few different demographics as a Vol Club member who contributes at this level and a member who is outside of the local area.

I think the point is valid in regards to the tailgate and other opportunities. We generally only make it down to a game a year/every other year. But we made sure to check out the tailgate. I actually made the point that if I were local I'd come hang out at the tailgate and eat and drink my 300.00 worth throughout the season regardless if I actually had gameday tickets or not. Same with the local events, I'd be at most all of them meeting players and getting autographs etc.

From my perspective however, these things in and of themselves probably don't move the needle for those lucky enough to live within driving distance. It certainly doesn't compare to the benefit of giving directly to the school for season tickets etc. So I understand if those accustomed to giving in that way may see no additional value of Spyre.

I think there's an untapped market in an alumni/fan base that's outside the local Knoxville market. I live 8 hours away and my 25.00 a month contribution is something that helps me feel a connection I'm not able to support by attending local events.

I've also enjoyed being able to purchase directly from the Vol Shop as a member. My son asked for autographed memorabilia for both birthday and Christmas this year, so just being able to access these items have a considerable value add for me. I'd also made plans to attend the signing day celebration that didn't happen this year.

Overall, I'm pleased with the value I feel my membership provides.
Definitely feels like that is the blind spot. I will ponder these issues as an outside city fan myself.

We tried to do local events led by captains in cities during the offseason and I know they were fun for those of us in Charleston, but not sure that is sustainable or enough in itself.

Would love to hear other outside 3 hour away fans with ideas of what you could get that would make donating $25-$100 a month more worth it in your eyes if in person events aren't it.

Tennessee has more than enough well-heeled fans to support a competitive NIL collective. I get what Spyre and The Volunteer Club are trying to do, but I would expect the brunt of the collective's coffers to be filled by a very small portion of the fanbase, the same people (understandably) privy to exactly how the money is being spent. I would also expect a very sizable portion of the collective to be funded by corporations, and notice that the three companies advertising on the back of the scoreboard are absent from the collective's group of sponsors (seems like they'd be pretty low-hanging fruit to get involved).

At the very bottom of the hierarchy is where general donations should exist, and I'm not sure that bullying the fanbase into donating when they receive nothing but a few stickers and a t-shirt along with a "trust us, your money is in good hands!" promise is a great strategy. Ultimately, I just don't think that this NIL collective is being handled very effectively. There are so many things that a club could offer its members, especially if the minimum donation for Checkerboard membership were raised to $50 or $98 a month, that would get participants feeling involved and valued but I'm just not seeing any of them. Some sort of membership card awarding special offers with your partners/sponsors? A members-only forum which, unlike TOS, has a somewhat lofty barrier of entry? Event access is discussed at the Smokey tier, but details are super vague and I'm sure there's more to offer on that front. Even if they're puff pieces, why not hire a beat reporter or two that covers the AD and would presumably benefit from some special access/insight given Spyre/The Volunteer Club's close relationship with the school?

People want to belong to something and, as it's presently structured, The Volunteer Club doesn't appear to be offering the sense of community/belonging one might (rightfully) expect for parting with their money. Until that changes, the effort would be better off having Haslam on speed dial and going that route as opposed to soliciting donations on a Tennessee fan forum and then acting as if non-members aren't true Scotsmen.
I hear all that and I’m sure the org is far from perfect. If it doesn’t resonate with you that’s totally fine. thankfully there are a few people that help quite a bit.

I also don’t think the mindset of others will or should take care of it is a great one but jmo

And I agree that Ole Miss having more members is frustrating and that is why I say those who aren't joining ours are hurting us because we are behind a school like Ole Miss and that's pretty pathetic with our larger fanbase.

Fans needs to stop fighting it and join so we don't take a backseat to anyone! GBO!
Agreed. That's why I think there needs to be more attention dedicated to those who cannot participate on gameday but still love the Vols. I also think that if more things in the same vein as the Jalin Hyatt autographed card were offered, you would see more fans join. I literally had just joined when that dropped and wish I had snagged one for my son. I had every intention to get one this year, but they never offered anything like that.

I've seen the Nico stuff, but its a little pricey for me. A signed Nico pic would probably go very fast.

lol why not use the example of all of the success that Miami, Texas A&M, and USC have had with those huge pocket books?

oh wait, its not a silver bullet.
and telling your fans that one of their favorite and established ways of being a Vol fan, going to games, doesn't matter is also a TERRIBLE message.
I 100% agree with this. The average fan in the SEC spends $160 a Saturday while attending games so UT is raking in approximately 16 million in revenue 7 Saturday's a year. Imagine if 25% of the fanbase took that advise and donated to Spyre and just stayed home. Where would that leave UT? Hiring coaches like Derek Dooley again? Try paying players to play for a coach similar to Dooley and see how many championships that buys you.

Again I am not saying Spyre is not needed for us to win championships but this pretense that fans in the seats and their contributions is not important is absurd.

I also live 6 hours away.

I made it to two games and I promise you the two tailgates I attended was well worth my $300...also I view my $300 as a donation anyway so ANYTHING I get I view as a bonus.

I would like to see them increase their offerings for folks out of town more than just the merch discounts, ect. Maybe everyone who lives more than 3 hours away do more free mailers with a Koozie and an autograph here or there.

I've shared that and will continue to.
Autographed cards or something. VC office stuff. Pens and other cheap merch would suffice imo. Gives a reason to keep the 25 per month when you get something per quarter or whatever. Also helps show the logos

Throw me out your 10 point plan for spreading the Vol Club message and I promise you I will share it with one of the two founders of the organization immediately.

Looking forward to your feedback and plan!
i may not make it to 10 points, but here are some things i would try to do if i were part of your team:
1. While I have seen Spyre featured in ads on the jumbotron during timeouts, i would have a station set up inside every major gate with representatives there to answer questions and solicit new members. In my opinion, you will get a lot better response from people when they have their juices flowing by being at the game and honestly, how many people might have signed up after the Alabama game last year if Spyre had been agressively represented at the game. I shouldnt be able to turn around at Neyland Stadium unless there is someone there asking me to donate
2. To go along with having a major presence at the games, I would also have many other spots where, quite frankly, representatives are holding a bucket or a locked box, where people can just straight-up drop a $20 in as they walk by. Maybe even give them a ticket for every $20 they donate. Then..
3. At halftime, take all of the ticket numbers you gave out down on the field, put them in a big hopper, draw out, say, three numbers, and whoever has the other half of that ticket wins a prize, one of which could be a nice prize like an autographed helmet or jersey, then two pictures or something of NIL athletes.
4. While i understand what you are thinking by making perks like meet and greets with former players, and even current players for members only, in my opinion, you are missing an opportunity by not having these available to the general public as well. If i were in charge, I would have, say, Al Wilson at a location for 2 hours signing autographs. If you are a Spyre member, you can get a free autograph and have a separate line that gets them to the front immediately. But for everyone else, require a one time $50 donation to get an autograph. And this is something you could do throughout the year with Basketball and Football players, but it would be important to make sure current players are included as well. Lets be honest, how many people would donate $50 for a chance to meet and get Nico's autograph right now? You will say that you want perks for members, but I say the guy who spends $50 for Tee Martins autograph might be the next guy to think he wants to be a part of your program.
5. I have never thought about it, but i could agree with someone earlier who said that if you do not live in Knoxville, say you live in Nashville or Memphis, you can feel a little left out. Perhaps Spyre needs to spearhead and grow a concept like the Big Orange Caravan and organize events across the state during the offseason, maybe even bring current and former players along for "An Evening with the Vols" where you sell tickets for a social event and Q&A. On top of that, I would try to purchase something like a souvenir trailer that NASCAR drivers used to have. A small trailer you could wrap with Spyre messaging and take it to events around the state to give out information and sign people up. Got to county fairs, set up at Titans games, anywhere there are people you are missing out on.
6. Maybe for people who do not live around Knoxville, you might have to offer a different kind of incentive. Maybe instead of meet and greet, you could at least let them send items in to be signed by the people you do meet and greets with. At least they could get an autograph that way
7. I think a place you are missing out is not having very public relationships with businesses in town who cater to the people you are looking for. There are two nice sized sports card shops in Knoxville, and I have yet to see anything in their shops that makes me think they even know you. Then you have places like Hound Dogs and two or three places in West Town Mall where you should be working hand in hand with. The people you want are visiting these places.
8. Speaking of the mall, you totally missed the boat over the Christmas holiday. You should have had a kiosk at malls like West Town, Opry Mills, a mall in Memphis, Johnson City, and other major cities where, from Thanksgiving to Christmas you are selling memberships for people to give as Christmas Gifts. Once again, impulse buys. "Give your Vol Fan the Gift of Supporting Current and Future Vol Athletes. For a One Time Donation of $100 They Will Get a Welcome Package with a Certificate, a Christmas Ornament, Autographed Picture of a Current Vol Athlete, and a Volunteer Club T-Shirt, All In an Orange and White Gift Box". I mean really, you missed that opportunity that was right in front of you
9. I know this going to be a loaded statement, but one of the biggest problems you have is that you are not controlling the messaging, and that is hurting you. Like it or not, true or not, one of the prevailing opinions of Spyre right now is that "they are supposed to be the top collective, but all we hear is that we are getting outbid for players, then getting told they were not a fit. How can Ole Miss spend like a drunken sailor and kill the portal while we are constantly being told we pass on players when their asking price is too high" like i say, may be true, may not be, and i know there is only so much we can spend, but when thats the message that people start believing, it might as well be true. I know you are not going to publicize your financials, but there are people in this town sports fans trust that you can probably work with to get the message you want out there. And since i didnt think i would get to this point....
10. Remember, there are two classes of Tennessee fans in the eyes of the Athletic Department. Big Donors who get treated very nice. I know, I know quite a few of them. Lets call them the top 10%, then there is the other 90% who it can be a struggle to come up with that yearly "gift" for the right to buy tickets, which are severely overpriced, and probably going up again. The people who thought they were grandfathered in because they had bought tickets for 50 years, just to find out they are getting shafted so that the 10% can have more legroom. You have the opportunity to let the 90% feel like they are making a difference, dont take that for granted.
Well, there you go, a 10 point plan. I am sure you do not agree with everything I mentioned, but maybe something catches your eye

Autographed cards or something. VC office stuff. Pens and other cheap merch would suffice imo. Gives a reason to keep the 25 per month when you get something per quarter or whatever. Also helps show the logos
@Ericvol2096 in addition to this idea, I bet most of us would be willing to post on social media every time we recieved a package from Vol Club. That's free marketing.

i may not make it to 10 points, but here are some things i would try to do if i were part of your team:
1. While I have seen Spyre featured in ads on the jumbotron during timeouts, i would have a station set up inside every major gate with representatives there to answer questions and solicit new members. In my opinion, you will get a lot better response from people when they have their juices flowing by being at the game and honestly, how many people might have signed up after the Alabama game last year if Spyre had been agressively represented at the game. I shouldnt be able to turn around at Neyland Stadium unless there is someone there asking me to donate
2. To go along with having a major presence at the games, I would also have many other spots where, quite frankly, representatives are holding a bucket or a locked box, where people can just straight-up drop a $20 in as they walk by. Maybe even give them a ticket for every $20 they donate. Then..
3. At halftime, take all of the ticket numbers you gave out down on the field, put them in a big hopper, draw out, say, three numbers, and whoever has the other half of that ticket wins a prize, one of which could be a nice prize like an autographed helmet or jersey, then two pictures or something of NIL athletes.
4. While i understand what you are thinking by making perks like meet and greets with former players, and even current players for members only, in my opinion, you are missing an opportunity by not having these available to the general public as well. If i were in charge, I would have, say, Al Wilson at a location for 2 hours signing autographs. If you are a Spyre member, you can get a free autograph and have a separate line that gets them to the front immediately. But for everyone else, require a one time $50 donation to get an autograph. And this is something you could do throughout the year with Basketball and Football players, but it would be important to make sure current players are included as well. Lets be honest, how many people would donate $50 for a chance to meet and get Nico's autograph right now? You will say that you want perks for members, but I say the guy who spends $50 for Tee Martins autograph might be the next guy to think he wants to be a part of your program.
5. I have never thought about it, but i could agree with someone earlier who said that if you do not live in Knoxville, say you live in Nashville or Memphis, you can feel a little left out. Perhaps Spyre needs to spearhead and grow a concept like the Big Orange Caravan and organize events across the state during the offseason, maybe even bring current and former players along for "An Evening with the Vols" where you sell tickets for a social event and Q&A. On top of that, I would try to purchase something like a souvenir trailer that NASCAR drivers used to have. A small trailer you could wrap with Spyre messaging and take it to events around the state to give out information and sign people up. Got to county fairs, set up at Titans games, anywhere there are people you are missing out on.
6. Maybe for people who do not live around Knoxville, you might have to offer a different kind of incentive. Maybe instead of meet and greet, you could at least let them send items in to be signed by the people you do meet and greets with. At least they could get an autograph that way
7. I think a place you are missing out is not having very public relationships with businesses in town who cater to the people you are looking for. There are two nice sized sports card shops in Knoxville, and I have yet to see anything in their shops that makes me think they even know you. Then you have places like Hound Dogs and two or three places in West Town Mall where you should be working hand in hand with. The people you want are visiting these places.
8. Speaking of the mall, you totally missed the boat over the Christmas holiday. You should have had a kiosk at malls like West Town, Opry Mills, a mall in Memphis, Johnson City, and other major cities where, from Thanksgiving to Christmas you are selling memberships for people to give as Christmas Gifts. Once again, impulse buys. "Give your Vol Fan the Gift of Supporting Current and Future Vol Athletes. For a One Time Donation of $100 They Will Get a Welcome Package with a Certificate, a Christmas Ornament, Autographed Picture of a Current Vol Athlete, and a Volunteer Club T-Shirt, All In an Orange and White Gift Box". I mean really, you missed that opportunity that was right in front of you
9. I know this going to be a loaded statement, but one of the biggest problems you have is that you are not controlling the messaging, and that is hurting you. Like it or not, true or not, one of the prevailing opinions of Spyre right now is that "they are supposed to be the top collective, but all we hear is that we are getting outbid for players, then getting told they were not a fit. How can Ole Miss spend like a drunken sailor and kill the portal while we are constantly being told we pass on players when their asking price is too high" like i say, may be true, may not be, and i know there is only so much we can spend, but when thats the message that people start believing, it might as well be true. I know you are not going to publicize your financials, but there are people in this town sports fans trust that you can probably work with to get the message you want out there. And since i didnt think i would get to this point....
10. Remember, there are two classes of Tennessee fans in the eyes of the Athletic Department. Big Donors who get treated very nice. I know, I know quite a few of them. Lets call them the top 10%, then there is the other 90% who it can be a struggle to come up with that yearly "gift" for the right to buy tickets, which are severely overpriced, and probably going up again. The people who thought they were grandfathered in because they had bought tickets for 50 years, just to find out they are getting shafted so that the 10% can have more legroom. You have the opportunity to let the 90% feel like they are making a difference, dont take that for granted.
Well, there you go, a 10 point plan. I am sure you do not agree with everything I mentioned, but maybe something catches your eye
A lot of great ideas here - would encourage Spyre to consider how they might implement a version of 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and/or 8 especially.

Good post.

I love these! You’re spot on with #5 but I’d say it’s more than just Central and West TN. I looked up the Vol Club and Spyre. I’m as big a TN fan as the rest, but my money is valuable to me and I can’t just go dishing out donations to any group just because I want my Vols to be great. They focus so much on events in Knoxville, which I 100% understand why, but they’re leaving out the rest of the state. Even Northeast TN, yes it’s only roughly 2 hours depending on where you live, but 2 hours for a 6pm event means I have to leave work early which isn’t doable. So something like the Big Orange Caravan or even local Spyre Chapters, similar to what the alumni organizations do, would go a long way in building that grassroots organization.

Loved this post! Thanks for this, sharing!

Bothers me that spyre is on a free site with people that make 50 to 150k on average asking us how to get our money. Fans should never be a foundational piece when it comes to paying kids who already get a free education. Makes me wonder why the wealthy haven't joined spyre yet. What do they know?

Last edited:
Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
You're discussing this on VN with a group that pays better attention than most to UT sports and they disagree.

Over the break I spent a week in Knoxville and then attended both a basketball and football game. There was really no message out there that I noticed.
There was a halftime message at the Missouri home game in 2022. I don’t go to many, but they are out there.

Reactions: Ericvol2096
Bothers me that spyre is on a free site oc people that make 50 to 150k on average asking us how to get our money. Fans should never be a foundational piece when it comes to paying kids who already get a free education. Makes me wonder why the wealthy haven't joined spyre yet. What do they know?
There are high level donors who are contributing. 4,000 members at just $25 per month wouldn’t cut it. There are people who donate more. The UT fan base does have some power in numbers, and there is a benefit. But to each their own.

Condescension and adversarial stances vs the fans. That’s the ticket to their pocket books!

I didn’t say I had a 10 point plan, did I? But I’ve seen numerous posters telling you they never see or hear about it and even have seen some ideas on how to improve upon that. Perhaps engage with those people more that offer ideas instead of dismissing them.

Clearly your message hasn’t been as impactful as you hoped and you’re frustrated. Isn’t that kinda the point of this whole convo?
I’m not in the market and rarely on campus. In my two visits on campus in the last two seasons, I have seen advertisement/s. At some point, I think people are just taking a position on one side or the other, which is fine. Their prerogative.

Bothers me that spyre is on a free site oc people that make 50 to 150k on average asking us how to get our money. Fans should never be a foundational piece when it comes to paying kids who already get a free education. Makes me wonder why the wealthy haven't joined spyre yet. What do they know?
If you think the 4,000 members are the only thing floating our entire FB, Basketball and Baseball rosters NIL you’d be sorely mistaken.

The 4,000 members make up id say an approx 1/8th our annual spend.

Which is not an insignificant portion which is why members are so important!

There are high level donors who are contributing. 4,000 members at just $25 per month wouldn’t cut it. There are people who donate more. The UT fan base does have some power in numbers, and there is a benefit. But to each their own.
Im with ya. But the over flow of people hating on us who don't do is silly. I think that's why I blow back the other way so much. Let the Haslams buy us a team. Technically, they are some of the reason we sucked after Fulmer.

“You’re hurting us if you have money and don’t donate!” is a horrendous marketing message.

ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I'm Spyre..... Eric is gone on the 1st bus!

I hope that someone here is relaying this information to the folks in charge.

WTF does this guy think he is?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol

VN Store

Back