Question for the older Vols?

I was also at this game which was played in Birmingham. One of the great games Tennessee played against Alabama. If I recall correctly, Walter Chadwick threw a half-back pass to Richmond Flowers for the go ahead TD before Dorsey had his unbelievable 4th quarter defensive plays.
Tennessee went ahead in the third quarter after a poor Alabama kick gave the Volunteers possession on the Alabama 40. Two good passes to Flowers, who had six receptions and a fine afternoon, took the Vols to the 18. Two more plays moved them only to the 11, and into a crucial situation. Dickey might not call the next play gobbly-wobble, but it would have to be at least gobble or wobble. Wyche pitched back to Chadwick as if to begin a power sweep around the left side. Flankerback Terry Dalton curled for the sidelines and when the Alabama linebacker and halfback reacted to the apparent run, Tight End Kenny Delong slipped through the gap and was all alone in the end zone, where Chadwick kind of shotputted a left-handed pass to him. It was Chadwick's first pass play, ever.

Reactions: ArdentVol
Dear older vol brothers,

I'm watching some older great all time great vol football games. I'm watching the 1967 vol bama game. I know most of the great game from about 1989 onwards. Give me some games from before that. Great bama games are especially important.

Thanks to all that continue my educational journey.
First Vol game I attended, Oct. 1970. John Reeves, All-American QB for UF said the week before the game: "Curt Watson couldn't carry Tommy Durrance's chin strap". If I remember correctly, Watson had 95 yds. rushing vs. Durrance 35 yds. If you enjoy a beat-down of the Gators, this is a great one. Bobby Scott-QB, Bobby Majors-WR/DB/P, Lester McClain WR, Tim Priest-DB probably the greatest LB group in Vols history, if not college football history: "Hacksaw" Reynolds, Steve Kiner, Jackie Walker (pick 6), Ray Nettles. Curt Watson went on to become a "Blue Angel". I also highly recommend the recently released Blue Angels documentary on Netflix.

Dear older vol brothers,

I'm watching some older great all time great vol football games. I'm watching the 1967 vol bama game. I know most of the great game from about 1989 onwards. Give me some games from before that. Great bama games are especially important.

The 1936 Vols will never be forgotten.

And Neyland Stadium gave the The Bear a standing O when he walked out on the field prior to kick off. I’ll never forget it . It was pure class by our fans and then we thumped them, stormed the field and carried the goal posts to The Strip. Proud to be a Tennessee Volunteer! GBO.
Section C Row 61. Saw lots of great games from these seats (along with a few heartbreaks). :cool:

during bear bryant's days at ky

I remember Mom telling me that her father seriously injured himself when he slipped on the ice at a UT-UK game in early 50s, and I assume this was the game. Can remember being at his bedside watchnig Vols play A&M a few
years later

“It wasn’t immediately called the Great Appalachian Storm of 1950….In Knoxville, it served as the backdrop to a marquee SEC matchup with national title implications. On Nov. 25, 1950, the 45,000 fans who braved frigid conditions at Shields-Watkins Field knew what they faced. Knoxville hit a record low of 12 degrees the day before the game. It dropped to 5 degrees hours before kickoff, which still stands as the coldest November day recorded in Knoxville.” 71 years later, Tennessee and Kentucky still fight over the 1950 football national title

73 Barn
68 Georgia
72 LSU Bluebonnet Bowl
75 Maryland
84 Bama
67,68, 70,71,82,84,85 and 92 are all great bama games but my favorite all time bama game is from 95 followed very closely by 22. I actually had tears in my eyes . Side note , my bama buddy and I have been to 10 of the last 12. I skipped 22 because I couldn't take his s$&& anymore. That make me so mad. This year will be the first we are bringing both families to the game. I have never been more excited than I am for this year. My kids have been to many egg bowls. I've been educating my wife and kids on the game for a couple months now. My middle daughter is my only vols fan amongst my kids and is very excited. My wife corrupted my other 2 and my ex corrupted my son. USC of all teams. Anyway, thanks to all and keep them coming.

Dear older vol brothers,

The '82 Bama game is still the greatest sporting event I've ever attended. That would be first on the list.

I was in seventh heaven. I remember those 2 running all over us but we held on. One of my best memories as a kid

Looking back, it was an unusual game statistically. As a team, you're not supposed to lose when you run the ball for 348 yards, but Syracuse did, with Little accounting for 216 yards on 29 carries. By contrast, the other Orangemen completed only 2 of 7 passes, with 3 interceptions, for 16 yards.

On the other hand, Dewey completed 17 of 29 passes, with 1 interception, for 244 yards and two touchdowns. Johnny Mills had 8 catches for 86 yards, Richmond Flowers had 5 for 80 yards and one touchdown, and Austin Denney added 4 receptions for 78 yards and another touchdown. 1966 was the year Warren led the nation in passing efficiency., finishing ahead of Bob Griese, Steve Spurrier, and Gary Beban. See 1966 Gator Bowl - Syracuse University Athletics and 1966 College Football Leaders | College Football at Sports-Reference.com.

Last edited:
The Walters were our friends and our tickets were next to theirs - 35 yd line - in the DRY. I sat next to Hank’s parents and it was a proud day for them that day. Hank is still around.
That is a cool story sharing that special game with them. It’s definitely in my top 5 of memorable games I attended.

That is a cool story sharing that special game with them. It’s definitely in my top 5 of memorable games I attended.
I was in press box, in my second year as a sportswriter, working that game alongside an AU alum who was the best person I knew in my short time writing about sports

Reactions: MAD
That was a good one albeit a loss... Keith DeLong had about 23 tackles in that game (which was stolen from us by the refs with that bad call on a hard hit).

And thank you for your service... where were you stationed?
Was stationed with the 173rd in Italy and in Ft. Lewis in Washington

The 1966 Gator Bowl was one of my earliest memories of Big Orange pigskinery as well. Floyd Little and Larry Csonka ran for 330 years but to no avail. We jumped out to an 18-0 lead and held on for an 18-12 victory. See and Nashville Then: Tennessee vs. Syracuse in 1966 Gator Bowl.

I saw that one on TV. Late in the 4th quarter, Syracuse was deep in Tennessee territory and it was 4th down. They ran an off tackle with Floyd Little who was nailed defensive end, Nick Showalter from Kingsport Tennessee, and others, for a loss and Tennessee then ran out the clock for the win. According to Jack Corn of the Tennessean, Dewey Warren completed 29 passes out of 29 attempt in that games.

Last edited:
My first Vol heartbreak was the 1968 Orange bowl against Oklahoma. Karl Kremser, one of the first kickers that (the term they used was "soccer style kicker") missed a game winning, exciting, and noble come from behind attempt.. Now every kicker kicks that way, but it was an anomaly in those days. Then later we advanced to the barefoot kicker Ricky Townsend, who was pretty cool, running downfield on a kickoff with a shoe off. George Hunt was the last head on kicker I remember. Also, one of the most bad ass players ever was George Cafego. I think, if he played in the modern era, he would compare to Eric Berry. He was a guy that landed here from West Virginia and played on Neyland's '38 team (20 years before I was born). He was part of that historic team that SHUT OUT, every team during the regular season. That's right - they went to the Rose Bowl and up to that point, nobody had scored on them AT ALL.

During the Major's era, Cafego was the kicking coach. I worked as a waiter/dishwasher in Gibb's on the training table back in the mid-late '70s and Cafego would come in with the rest of the staff. I got to talk to Majors a couple of times, but Cafego was quiet. One of my biggest regrets was that I didn't approach him and strike up a conversation with him.

This is kinda bad, but I went to a Halloween party in Reese Hall with a bunch of the Gibbs waiters. One guy came as Cafego because ol' George was born with a sagging eye socket. Could have been from a football injury (makes more sense), but anyway the guy put some tape on his face to pull the skin down and that was his costume. One piece of tape. Kind of disrespectful, I'll admit, but after a keg of beer, we laughed and laughed.

OK, I googled the WWW and found a reference from a past thread talking about George's eye. This came from VOLNATION. Seems a Vandy guy blinded him in a pile.

1719757204719.png
1719757507564.png

Attachments

• 1719757958756.png
    1719757958756.png
    98.2 KB · Views: 1
I saw that one on TV. Late in the 4th quarter, Syracuse was deep in Tennessee territory and it was 4th down. They ran an off tackle with Floyd Little who was nailed defensive end, Nick Showalter from Kingsport Tennessee, and others, for a loss and Tennessee then ran out the clock for the win. According to Jack Corn of the Tennessean, Dewey Warren completed 29 passes out of 29 attempt in that games.
Hey VolInVonore-I would enjoy meeting you at Navarros/Englewood one day for lunch and talk Tennessee football history. You go back a bit further than me. My first game was Bama 1960.

VN Store

Back