Quick thought on Oregon....

Let's just go ahead and expect to lose all of our games... that's how down on our team some of you "fans" are.

You all make us seem like the ugly duckling in high school with no self-esteem and and even uglier personality. NEWS FLASH: A major part of being a fan is actually SUPPORTING and HAVING FAITH in your team. Not saying we should all have super unreasonable expectations, but some of you talk about our team as if you were born & raised in Bryant-Denny Stadium! Criticizing our Vols and bashing our Vols are two different things, IMO.

(Sorry if this post seems like an unnecessary rant... just tired of all the excessive negativity on VN. Carry on. :hi:)

Let's just go ahead and expect to lose all of our games... that's how down on our team some of you "fans" are.

You all make us seem like the ugly duckling in high school with no self-esteem and and even uglier personality. NEWS FLASH: A major part of being a fan is actually SUPPORTING and HAVING FAITH in your team. Not saying we should all have super unreasonable expectations, but some of you talk about our team as if you were born & raised in Bryant-Denny Stadium! Criticizing our Vols and bashing our Vols are two different things, IMO.

(Sorry if this post seems like an unnecessary rant... just tired of all the excessive negativity on VN. Carry on. :hi:)

:popcorn:

Our ONLY shot is to line up, play smash mouth football, and run the ball down their throats. Our strength is the O-line and their weakness is lack of size.

As fast as they are they are undersized compared to SEC teams. We have to take advantage of that.

This is how LSU beat them a couple of years back. The O methodically pounded them. The D stayed in their lanes. LSU's secondary speed was as fast as Oregon's guys on offense, so they were able to neutralize the spread option and zone read. If you force Oregon to try to beat you through their passing game, you've got them if your offense can score reasonably well.

We are in good enough physical condition to play the style with them for 60 minutes. But how does our secondary react? If our O-line gets the message and puts a hat on everybody we can chew them up down the middle of the field and control some clock. When something goes wrong how will this team react? Everything has to fall right for a win, but there is a legitimate shot at it.

Reactions: 1 person
If you are going into the Oregon game thinking UT is going to win, you are going to have a bad time. Take this game as a learning experience for the players. Don't chalk it up as a win or loss, just take this game to see how we do against a top caliber opponent.

I agree. Petrino didn't help his QB today when he needed it most. No way do you pass in that situation.

Their QB periodically went brain dead, also.

Can the QB claim post concussive syndrome from a motorcycle wreck?

Earlier today, WKU had it 2nd and goal from the 1. For some odd reason, they decided to throw it on 2nd down, the qb held the ball, and took a sack at the 5. On the next play he threw an int.....Oregon isn't that stupid. They're running it 3 times from the 1 if they have to.

This. Oregon's QB won't make those mistakes. Doughty had so much open field when he threw the pick. If he would have tucked and ran he would have made a nice play and possibly score.

Anyone watch the OU/UVA game today?...Those ducks are scary...Of course I hope we win but I just don't see it happening...Those guys are insanely fast...If We can hold them to under 40 points it will be quite an accomplishment....Lets hope for the ducks to turn it over as much as WKU did and we might make it a ballgame.

This. Oregon's QB won't make those mistakes. Doughty had so much open field when he threw the pick. If he would have tucked and ran he would have made a nice play and possibly score.

Maybe the Ducks QB will just trip over his cape:)

Reactions: 3 people

Now wait a minute. This was gonna be a close game....close enough that we were on upset alert today.....

Marriota (QB) is only throwing 57% and has 1 throwing TD against two really bad teams. Just something we may can take advantage of with how the D played today.

Yea, it's been a shaky start in the passing game. Lyerla dropped 4 very passes today. Just horrible. The Ducks offense didn't play all that well today. Certainly plenty of things for the Ducks to work on this week.

Now wait a minute. This was gonna be a close game....close enough that we were on upset alert today.....

I see what you did there. As much as I loath Mark May, I won't be able to disagree when he picks against us next week. And yes I will be cheering on our Vols no matter what.

Anyone watch the OU/UVA game today?...Those ducks are scary...Of course I hope we win but I just don't see it happening...Those guys are insanely fast...If We can hold them to under 40 points it will be quite an accomplishment....Lets hope for the ducks to turn it over as much as WKU did and we might make it a ballgame.

I saw the highlights of the Oregon/VA game earlier this evening and the ducks are VERY good. I'm afraid some members here don't fully grasp or understand that Oregon is deserving of their #2 ranking and the difference in roster talent between Oregon and Tennessee next week will be glaringly obvious.

Having optimism for this Tennessee team is great and perfectly understandable after a 2-0 start but Oregon is for real and a very good football team. It's a good possibility that Oregon is going to pull away in the 2nd half and win by a convincing margin.

I hope this board is prepared for that possibility and doesn't go into meltdown mode after next weeks game.

Butch gets to break out his David verses Goliath speech this week.

O-Line better be given it their all from start to finish. Worley needs to keep his composure. No more of these "scared straight" moments.

Absolutely no missed tackles, can't afford it guys.

I see what you did there. As much as I loath Mark May, I won't be able to disagree when he picks against us next week. And yes I will be cheering on our Vols no matter what.

Im not guaranteeing a victory, im guaranteeing a close game either way. I think that's fair after what i seen from the Vols today.

Reactions: 2 people
I won't make another thread just for my opinion of the game, so ill post it here.

I see it like this:

The last time we played Oregon, we lined up and ran the ball. We did it effectively enough to manage the game (for a while) and we held contain well on defense. All in the first half. We went into halftime tied 13-13.

Then Matt Simms made a very stupid throw, and it was returned for 6. After that ... The game was a landslide. We had zero second half adjustments from Dooley, and got murdered. But anyone that knows this game knows that if you can play with a team for a half, you can play with them for two halves and if you can do that ... You never know.

Butch will have our guys ready to play, and hopefully he plans on using our size. Run the ball, mix in safe throws on offense. I also don't think our defense will get mauled the way that most do. I don't see the Ducks scoring 50 unless they get a defensive or st TD. I don't see us allowing 7 offensive touchdown drives. Our defense has been very disciplined, and they won't allow that to happen unless they are playing with a lot of short fields.

All that being said ... No, I don't think we win the game. But I don't think we lose 56-17 either. I think the game ends 38-27 Oregon.

We'll hang, but we aren't ready to win this type of game. Not yet at least. I'd love to take another trip to Eugene in three years or so though.

Oh and one more thing, people keep saying "We might be able to win if we get 7 more turnovers."

No.

If Oregon turns the ball over 7 times, they will be blown out of their own stadium.

If you are going into the Oregon game thinking UT is going to win, you are going to have a bad time. Take this game as a learning experience for the players. Don't chalk it up as a win or loss, just take this game to see how we do against a top caliber opponent.

Good advice here. If we happen to put ourselves in a position to win in the 4th, then outstanding. I honestly feel like if we go to Eugene and play loose, nothing but good is going to come out of this game no matter the outcome.

And hey, who knows? We may get some bounces. We might be able to control the football and get just enough stops to beat Oregon. We might put 'em in a spot they don't feel comfortable in and they panic. Hell, we might get blown out.

For me, I just want us to get better. We aren't winning a national championship this year. Improve and learn. No more expectations than that for me.

I can't wait, personally :good!:

Last edited:

VN Store

Back