Quick thought on Oregon....

Yes and Yes...Quick, Quick and gone....I'm not looking forward to this one....It may be over Quick!

Yes and Yes...Quick, Quick and gone....I'm not looking forward to this one....It may be over Quick!

Oregon is the quickest team in the Country. Alabama would beat Them by pounding the ball down Their throats. The Oregon-Tennessee game wont be pretty.

Earlier today, WKU had it 2nd and goal from the 1. For some odd reason, they decided to throw it on 2nd down, the qb held the ball, and took a sack at the 5. On the next play he threw an int.....Oregon isn't that stupid. They're running it 3 times from the 1 if they have to.
They're racing you to the pylon at 2nd & goal and even 3rd and goal. They have very light small RBs and even VA stuffed them on interior runs. They're all about speed & trap blocks. WKU had what 225 & 245 lb RBs and we stopped 'em? I don't see a hard charging 170 lb guy having a lot of success between the tackles against our D.

Reactions: 1 person
If any of you are familiar with Dave Bartoo of the cfbmatrix.com, he does some very interesting talent evaluations. In fact, I found him because of some of the talent evaluations that I have developed. We have a very similar view on this thing, he has just been doing it a decade longer.

He and I have been in sporadic contact recently. He is a Ducks season ticket holder. While discussing this game, his statement was that even the most myopic duck fan will be shocked at how close this game will be. In fact, Dave told me that this is the first September game he will attend in Autzen for years due to the interesting talent and strength comparisons.

He picks Oregon in a close game, mainly due to home field advantage. If you don't know much about this guy, look up his site.

- The Best New Take in College Football Predictions, Odds and Rankings

If you go to his site and aren't impressed with both his historical and recent prediction rate, based off of talent and modified talent evaluations...then we aren't watching the same game.

He has Tennessee as a 1.9 talent discrepancy against Oregon. I have them at a 0. His is more detailed and advanced than mine, and tends to pick up a few more nuanced points. To understand the scale of that evaluation, Stanford is 100.6 over Army. Those aren't points, or a points spread, they are simply a number illustrating the difference in talent, as visualized as the number of rungs on a ladder between the two teams. Teams are basically evenly spaced along this ladder with Bama at the top, and Tennessee and Oregon right around the 15th rung, Kentucky would be around the 49th rung, WKU would be around 80 and so on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm going 52-17 Oregon myself.
I find it utterly amazing how our own fans, instead of just taking a "wait and see what happens" approach, are just as quick as a hiccup to concede defeat. What a battered bunch of ninnies we have here. :cray:

Is it so damn hard to simply let the game play out? Screw predictions. They aren't worth a damn...just ask Todd McShay and Lou Holtz's buddy, May....about that. With Dooley and Wilcox...having even less talent and depth, overall, we held the Ducks in check well until the middle of the 3rd Qtr. They got a few big breaks, and the team just folded....in typical Dooley fashion.

Oregon doesn't play SEC teams very often. They are used to playing PAC 10/12 teams and weak non conference opponents. Notice they didn't schedule a team like Bama, Florida, UGA or LSU....after LSU whooped em (Chavis was the DC) a few years back. Stanford is the only other good opponent in the PAC 12, and they are suddenly brought down to earth again. with 2 losses to them in the past 3 yrs. They lost to Boise St...with the very same offense, a few years back.

Sure Oregon is a really good team, and probably worth their No.2 ranking, but I am still going to wait and see what happens, rather than count the game as a loss already. What a bunch of losers there are here on this board. Practically boasting about predicted losses, just so they can say "I told you so." I'm sure glad you aren't on the staff preaching your principles of doom and gloom.

Attachments

• tumblr_ltuu45KuQG1qgzqnco2_250.jpg
    tumblr_ltuu45KuQG1qgzqnco2_250.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I find it utterly amazing how our own fans, instead of just taking a "wait and see what happens" approach, are just as quick as a hiccup to concede defeat. What a battered bunch of ninnies we have here. :cray:

Is it so damn hard to simply let the game play out? Screw predictions. They aren't worth a damn...just ask Todd McShay and Lou Holtz's buddy, May....about that. With Dooley and Wilcox...having even less talent and depth, overall, we held the Ducks in check well until the middle of the 3rd Qtr. They got a few big breaks, and the team just folded....in typical Dooley fashion.

Oregon doesn't play SEC teams very often. They are used to playing PAC 10/12 teams and weak non conference opponents. Notice they didn't schedule a team like Bama, Florida, UGA or LSU....after LSU whooped em (Chavis was the DC) a few years back. Stanford is the only other good opponent in the PAC 12, and they are suddenly brought down to earth again. with 2 losses to them in the past 3 yrs. They lost to Boise St...with the very same offense, a few years back.

Sure Oregon is a really good team, and probably worth their No.2 ranking, but I am still going to wait and see what happens, rather than count the game as a loss already. What a bunch of losers there are here on this board. Practically boasting about predicted losses, just so they can say "I told you so." I'm sure glad you aren't on the staff preaching your principles of doom and gloom.

Oregon has been trying to schedule SEC teams, but outside of Tenn and LSU the rest of the SEC is very reluctant to play out west. We played and beat Miss State a couple times a few years ago, we beat you guys a couple years ago and we've got home and home match ups set with Georgia and Ohio State in the next few years assuming they don't back out. Georgia already sounds like they want out.

One of the big problems with OOC games is many times given the number of years between scheduling and actually playing a team it's hard to know what a opponent will be like by game time.

Do you think Oregon actually went out looking to put Nicholls State and Portland State on the schedule? LOL Both those games were added because an opponent didn't want to play Oregon as previously scheduled.

Oh please, we've scheduled fine OOC. Nicholls was a replacement as a last ditch resort. We didn't change anything scheduling wise after the LSU game. Though I will point out that we were absolutely punished for that game. If we had beat up on an average AQ instead of lost our season opener to LSU, the polls would have favored us more at the end of the season.

They're racing you to the pylon at 2nd & goal and even 3rd and goal. They have very light small RBs and even VA stuffed them on interior runs. They're all about speed & trap blocks. WKU had what 225 & 245 lb RBs and we stopped 'em? I don't see a hard charging 170 lb guy having a lot of success between the tackles against our D.

Define stop. 26 carries for 163 yards. Not much stopping going on there.

rawr SEC ! physical! rabble rabble rabble rabble.

*rolls eyes*
Just like FSU, when they were all the rage years ago...they were the only decent team in their conference, so no wonder they looked stellar every year. I always said that if FSU ever had the kind of schedule where you play 4-5 top 10 teams every year, just in your own conference, they wouldn't look so stellar.

Oregon is the same way. Sure their owner, Nike, is paying good/big money to try and compensate for the dumbest nickname in all of sports. Hey guys, forget the retarded nickname....look at these shiny new duds we got for you. It's like a short, fat, bald guy with a nub for a wheenie flashing the cash and a sports car to buy himself some companionship.

Maybe they could change it to the "Oregon Sloths" to sound a little tougher. As it stands, they are one of two good teams in the PAC 12. They'd get beat up and look a lot more average in the SEC....just because of the gauntlet they'd have to go through. Eventually, playing in a soft conference will come back to bite you. To some degree, it already has. That's why you got shut out of the BCS NC game last year.

Looking at your schedule, you again, have no one ranked on your schedule except Stanford. Don't come here talking shiite, hoping to receive any accolades from us. I hope we funk your shiite up and bust that damn Nike bubble on your head.

Nobody expects us to win...we are still rebuilding. So, there is little for us to lose. But if you do get upset, it's all downhill for the rest of the season. The rubber duckies will have "OWNAGE by the SEC" stamped across your foreheads.....and no amount of Nike Corporate $$$$ can remove that stain.

You have Stanford waiting to stick it up enya, after that. Not going to be pretty if you stumble Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Oregon will attack us on the edges, as all good spread/read-option teams do, with a QB who can run and pass. Their QB had 122 yards rushing yesterday--only ran it 4 times, surprisingly, but one was a 71-yard TD run. Incidentally, did you see where the BYU QB ran for 269 on Texas--and BYU as a team ran for 560 yards! Attacking the edge. That is something we are not doing, cannot do, and it is going to make it hard for us on both sides of the ball from here on. I think we will have some success running the ball on Oregon, knowing nothing about their defense, and we'd better or it will be a long day for our defense.

Oregon will attack us on the edges, as all good spread/read-option teams do, with a QB who can run and pass. Their QB had 122 yards rushing yesterday--only ran it 4 times, surprisingly, but one was a 71-yard TD run. Incidentally, did you see where the BYU QB ran for 269 on Texas--and BYU as a team ran for 560 yards! Attacking the edge. That is something we are not doing, cannot do, and it is going to make it hard for us on both sides of the ball from here on. I think we will have some success running the ball on Oregon, knowing nothing about their defense, and we'd better or it will be a long day for our defense.
Yeah, I think not fielding a Dual-Threat QB will hurt us against the better teams. I'm hoping we use Peterman in some sets against the rubber duckies.

Oregon has been trying to schedule SEC teams, but outside of Tenn and LSU the rest of the SEC is very reluctant to play out west. We played and beat Miss State a couple times a few years ago, we beat you guys a couple years ago and we've got home and home match ups set with Georgia and Ohio State in the next few years assuming they don't back out. Georgia already sounds like they want out.

One of the big problems with OOC games is many times given the number of years between scheduling and actually playing a team it's hard to know what a opponent will be like by game time.

Do you think Oregon actually went out looking to put Nicholls State and Portland State on the schedule? LOL Both those games were added because an opponent didn't want to play Oregon as previously scheduled.

I am glad that we are still playing Oregon after canceling UNC. That pissed me off, and I was starting to sharpen my axe.

VN Store

Back