Randall Cobb (merged)

Just curious if you guys in the Knoxville area are getting to watch the Blue Cross Bowl on tv?

The announcers mention him and UT but also said something about Kentucky. At that point in the game Alcoa had it in hand so I wasn't paying attention.

Maryville game is at 3:30cst. against Maplewood.

Lord I hope not...

I really like mobile QB's but I'm not wild about the QB being a normal part of the running attack... nor do I like following fads.

oh so you like being mediocre. i get it...

what is with you people? first it's fulmer is too vanilla, he can't get the job done. then someone mentions the spread and you say oh no i don't want that its just a fad. WHAT DO YOU WANT THEN? HUH? IT SEEMS TO WORK PRETTY WELL AT FLORIDA.........

The spread =/= automatic success. As far as the gators are concerned, they won the national title when they weren't actually running 100% of Meyer's offense and had a nasty defense. This year, it was good enough to beat us before our defense got settled in, giving them the best shot to make the SEC Championship game, and we still went. The offense, with the exception of maybe a handful of games, was the not the problem at the University of Tennessee for the majority of the season.

How many Conference Champions/National Champions in the last few years run the spread? Its not the ANSWER.

Quite obviously you don't get it. I didn't say one thing about being satisfied with mediocrity.

The spread option is new and alot of people like new things just because they are. I don't. The only teams having great success with it are still the teams that have better talent than the opponent. UF would have been just as successful running a pass oriented pro set this year as they were running the spread... and maybe more so since they might have had a RB that was productive.

That presents a problem for UT. If UT goes to the spread option they can't say they run an NFL style offense anymore... and THAT will hurt their chances with a lot of the out of state talent they currently pull in.

Gerald Jones immediately comes to mind as a guy who said an attraction for him at UT was their pro-style O and history of putting guys into the draft.

what is with you people? first it's fulmer is too vanilla, he can't get the job done. then someone mentions the spread and you say oh no i don't want that its just a fad. WHAT DO YOU WANT THEN? HUH? IT SEEMS TO WORK PRETTY WELL AT FLORIDA.........

UT's offense has never been vanilla except when they couldn't execute well enough to run the more sophisticated parts of it. You don't have to run every fad offense that comes down the pike to avoid being vanilla.

Tennessee is not Florida. Practically every year UF could recruit a top 5 class of kids that grew up Gator fans. UT has to offer something more than that... They have to work much harder than that.

If you really... really... want a "system" that produces points... Copy Texas Tech. There are plenty of examples of schools that run an O similar to UM's that aren't extraordinary.

TTU scores tons of points and loads the stat sheets every year in spite of NEVER having recruiting classes highly ranked by the recruiting services.

VN Store

Back