Reactions to Vols Living Outside Vol Country

Most people in Houston r Aggie n Lsu fans so get a little cocky but not bad. I do wear vols or tn because Mexicans think its Texas orange but most college football fans know the difference.

I have had a few Fu thrown my way from bama fans in Houston...lol

Btw Houston n San Antonio are really Mexico... omg my son has blond hair n they look at him like a freak of nature.....lol

Yes I miss tn.

racist imo

Reactions: 2 people
I live in georgia, about 45 minutes from athens. I take alt of heat, especially the last few years with them beating us! The last time tge vos did beat uga I showed up at church the next morning and te pastor was waiting outside with a fod up chair. He said I could listen from the porch! He was joking!

Live in Alabama. That should be nuff said. But no one usually says anything to me if its just people walking by me. A lot of times its at work or something where I'm not wearing orange and when I tell them its almost like they're mad. Even a lot of Auburn fans hate us. Don't know why; they keep beating us. But yeah there's glances sometimes. But I'm 6" 230 so guess that helps lol

If someone is rude to me just because I'm a fan of another team, I just laugh and tell them I feel sorry for them. It must be a miserable existence to have nothing better to live for. It's just a game.

I live in Northern KY not far from Cincinnati. Sometimes get some looks when sporting my gear, just look at the UK fans and smile. Have taught my kids well as they will audibly boo people when they see them sporting their UK gear, brings a damn tear to my eye.

What reactions do you get when sporting Vols-wear outside Tennessee?

My wife and I live in Kentucky, She wore her Rise to the Top shirt to work Wednesday. Students and staff basically wanted to know what was wrong with her. Landscaper, uh. . .ahem, insulted her. A few secret Vols-ers fist pumped and high-fived her. When she entered Kroger on the way home, many folks stood away from her with frowns on their faces. But one bold clerk waved wildly at her and pointed to the white power T on his orange cap.

I once entered a Walmart here dressed in orange head to toe. People literally moved away from me as if I had leprosy or something. The clerk actually glared at me. On the way to a Vols game last year, we stopped in Corbin for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. The waitress assigned to us refused to serve us. That was OK because though she was not a bad looking gal in her late 30's or early 40's we got a 20-something cutie who oozed hospitality. Never said it, or indicated it but I suspect she was a Tennessean. She had this smile when serving us and a smirk when passing by the lady who refused to serve us. Cutie got a darn fine tip you can be sure of that. But we no longer stop there when heading for games. We go to CB closer to Knoxville now.

So what happens when you show your colors out of state?

I have met Vol fans while I was in Chicago and I once met a Vol fan when I was in Osaka, Japan.

You, sir, have inspired me. My wife and I will soon go to Niagara Falls. Due to you inspiring me, I will be darn sure to wear a U.T. shirt at the Falls. I will represent!!!

It will be free advertisement for the program.....

Reactions: 1 person
I live in Orlando and folks don't much care. In fact I see power T's everyday on folks vehicles. Most ribbing is from friends and the big rivalry, and most trash talk, is gators vs. Fsu.

My old ladies folks live in gainsville, both Florida alum, so I spend a lot of time up there. Folks are real nice, even on game days, and mostly just fun trash talk. Don't get me wrong, every team has backwoods finatics, crazies, and *******s. I have had a few run in's , but its just the bad apples. My old ladies folks have season tickets to everything, even dadgum volleyball, so l get to see UT vs. Florida a lot. Never had many problems.

Its a house divided :) , hell I will cheer for Florida if its out of conference or any SEC team. Ya, ya I know not a vfl iyo. Been to most stadiums before I graduated UT and never really had any issues. Then again I treat others with respect, have fun, and win or lose take it in stride.

Colorado Springs is a Military community so everything goes. Air Force Academy is in town too. Everything is good here except raiders gear. Broncos, Cowboys, Air Force, Army, GA, Vols, gators and bama are most popular.

Also Alan Cockrell used to coach the Colorado Springs Sky Sox (Rockies AAA).

Last edited:
its hard to find UT gear where i live, so i have to order it online. when i wear UT stuff nobody cares :(

since im northwest fl, everyone around here is FSU, UF, Miami, UA or AU fans

Here in southwest Virginia I get negative comments from Hokie fans. It's pretty funny when they act like they have a great tradition there in Blacksburg. You would hardly ever see any Hokie apparel here until they started winning in the late 90's.

I dont get any negativity. except from some friends but it's all in fun, because in the 90's they got a lot from me.
The only comments i seriously get is 'they can't call you a fair weather fan' or 'do you think dooley/jones will get you back to where you're supposed to be?'

that's about it.

I wore my Tennessee cap to a bar in AUBURN one time, you talking about getting some dirty looks, this was back in the day of SIR CHARLES it was Basketball season.

When I do make it back to Middle-Tennessee/Huntsville, I do enjoy seeing thoes "House Divided" plates with a split Aub-bama logo. I don't think they do one with TN though.

Maybe we could get a house divided with TN covering 3/4 of the plate and Vandy with 1/4...with a JK banner and Go Vols! printed at the bottom.

I live in Chattanooga and there are more Alabama fans then Tennessee fans here, and just as many Georgia fans.

I kid you not....I live in Alamogordo, New Mexico and about 3 weeks ago I was driving home from El Paso. About 30 miles from home is a Border Patrol station and as I stopped, the agent asked me what i had hit with my truck. I told him I didnt recall hitting anything and I asked him what it looked like and he said, "I am not sure what t was, but it left an ugly looking orange "T" on the front of your truck." After we laughed about it, he said he was a Texas fan and I reminded him that Tennessee (The Real UT) was established first.....he told me to have a nice day and waved me through. Folks out here dont get it....and they are loads of Texas bandwagon fans all around the southwest.

Reactions: 1 person
There is one other phenomenon involving Vol apparel that probably only happens outside of Vol Country. I occasionally see people wearing Vol hats or t-shirts who obviously aren't Vol fans. Sometimes they say the item was a gift and sometimes I suspect it's from some second-hand store or yard sale. But you know as soon as you say, "Hey, Go Vols" and they give you a puzzled look. It's happened to me a few times over the years.

Been dealing with this for 33 years.

Went to Lids in the mall...Lewisville, TX...my daughter asked if they had any Vols gear...you'd have thought I screamed a racist joke...not the usual attitude down here...had a lot of good back and forth down here...real good people
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I live in Alabama. They never say anything. They just stare and when you catch them looking they look away real quick. They know it won't be long until Tennessee's back to being Tennessee. They just don't want to believe it.

Reactions: 2 people
Went to Lids in the mall...Lewisville, TX...my daughter asked if they had any Vols gear...you'd have thought I screamed a racist joke...not the usual attitude down here...had a lot of good back and forth down here...real good people

Big Orange gear almost always available at 3rd Base in Frisco on football game day from Shafer Sports.

What reactions do you get when sporting Vols-wear outside Tennessee?

My wife and I live in Kentucky, She wore her Rise to the Top shirt to work Wednesday. Students and staff basically wanted to know what was wrong with her. Landscaper, uh. . .ahem, insulted her. A few secret Vols-ers fist pumped and high-fived her. When she entered Kroger on the way home, many folks stood away from her with frowns on their faces. But one bold clerk waved wildly at her and pointed to the white power T on his orange cap.

I once entered a Walmart here dressed in orange head to toe. People literally moved away from me as if I had leprosy or something. The clerk actually glared at me. On the way to a Vols game last year, we stopped in Corbin for breakfast at Cracker Barrel. The waitress assigned to us refused to serve us. That was OK because though she was not a bad looking gal in her late 30's or early 40's we got a 20-something cutie who oozed hospitality. Never said it, or indicated it but I suspect she was a Tennessean. She had this smile when serving us and a smirk when passing by the lady who refused to serve us. Cutie got a darn fine tip you can be sure of that. But we no longer stop there when heading for games. We go to CB closer to Knoxville now.

So what happens when you show your colors out of state?

I dare say that most grads of UT, or any school, aren't as "in-your-face" with colors, etc. as non-grads. You can, indeed, wear too much color to the point of being obnoxious. I had an old neighbor who wore orange from head-to-toe every Sat. here in Atl. Never went to games, just dressed up. The entire neighborhood made fun of him. His kids were ridiculed at school for wearing orange all the time. You can overdo to the point of being just a clown. JMHO.

Big Orange gear almost always available at 3rd Base in Frisco on football game day from Shafer Sports.

I'm there this season...I keep forgetting the name of the bar...thanks

VN Store

Back