Ready to be called a Negavol, but here's a real question

I only want two things this year.

1) Competitiveness

2) I want these Seniors that have had to go through so much garbage to have a moment that they can talk about for the next 50 years.

#2 is spot on.

this anyghing less u have to question
the coaches ability to win in the sec..

cbj has to have a couple of statement games win or lose to show he can compete in this league..lmo

I disagree. It's year one of a new staff. Literally anything from 4-8 to 8-4 is possible.

Reactions: 2 people
I expect to see "Fahr Butch" if we lose to Vandy. That's it. The rest, besides Missouri, would not be very shocking. I have a feeling we will have a difficult time putting up points against SEC opponents this year. Oregon could be nasty.

I dont care what people say about vandy they got it together and now can beat about anyone, i dont like them but they got some good SEC type player, so a lose to then is not the end of the world, we are still 2 years away from going 9 and 3, we the true fans just got to stand behind the team, no matter what and hold this top recruit class together, so getting on here or anywhere after a bama blow out by 30 wont help the recruiting by bashing the team and coaching staff, everybody got to remember that we are still 2 maybe 3 years away from running with the big dogs, that dont mean we cant sneak in the back door and steal one.:clapping:

All these threads bashing on people for expecting losses at Oregon, against UF, against UGA, etc.

What happens to all of y'all that are expecting we can win these games when this happens:

the Ducks run roughshod over us and we lose by 24

Florida throws at will and beats up 21
Aaron Murray has a field day against our secondary racking up 345 passing yards en route to a 27 point thumping.

Vandy/Auburn/Mizzou/USC- 3 of these four or even 2 of these four just prove to be too much for us to handle and we lose half of these games.

Just curious what happens. Replying with "won't happen, Butch gets it" doesn't count. I want to know how things will go if the above happens. A bad loss to Oregon, a bad loss to Florida, a bad loss to Florida and tough losses to two of the four mentioned last.

That jerk 21 deserves it! Walking around with his 2 and his 1looking so smug.

I disagree. It's year one of a new staff. Literally anything from 4-8 to 8-4 is possible.

You got that right nothing would stun me going 8 and 4 or going 4 and 8, we could go 4 and 8 and be a decent team by the end of the year, this is not the little 10 or baby boys 12 this is the BIG BOYS, right behind the NFL.:rock:

How the heck is Vandy a upset game when we own them record wise??

What in the world does historical records have to do with a future game? I don't think beating Vandy will be an upset but I don't get your logic.

So would beating USC be an upset? We own them historically.

Reactions: 1 person
And you know this will happen...how? To answer the question, what we can do is to pull for the team to win each and every game. Will it happen? No, but the negativity of some folks is just pathetic.

Almost as pathetic as the unbridled optimism of others. The optimism wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that it seems to slowly snowball into expectations which are unreasonable to say the least. I'm hoping for 6 wins, a bowl trip, and a team that doesn't quit even if they're down by 2 scores and on the road. If I get that, I'll be very happy. It's going to take more than one winter/summer to spray the Dooley stink off of these players.

Anything is possible but if this team wins 4 count me a mega nega as that would stink. Circumstances might make it understandable but that would be heart breaking for where the momentum is now.

Almost as pathetic as the unbridled optimism of others. The optimism wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that it seems to slowly snowball into expectations which are unreasonable to say the least. I'm hoping for 6 wins, a bowl trip, and a team that doesn't quit even if they're down by 2 scores and on the road. If I get that, I'll be very happy. It's going to take more than one winter/summer to spray the Dooley stink off of these players.

Exactly

It's year one of a new staff. Literally anything from 4-8 to 8-4 is possible.

I usually try to be honest with myself about what could happen. You are absolutely right that anything could happen in the first year. Looking at the schedule and the talent I think anywhere from 4-8 to 10-2 is possible.

7-5 would probably be disappointing but not surprising while anything less might make me crack open a bottle
8-4 would be a very solid year
9-3 would thrill me
10-2 I would post video of me doing a happy dance. To get to this point we'd probably need some lucky breaks

However, no one here including myself can look into the crystal ball and know how the team will respond to the new staff during a game. We're all just guessing. The key will be to see how the team improves or doesn't during the first 3-4 games and not get overly excited either way. It will be a process.

I usually try to be honest with myself about what could happen. You are absolutely right that anything could happen in the first year. Looking at the schedule and the talent I think anywhere from 4-8 to 10-2 is possible.

7-5 would probably be disappointing but not surprising while anything less might make me crack open a bottle
8-4 would be a very solid year
9-3 would thrill me
10-2 I would post video of me doing a happy dance. To get to this point we'd probably need some lucky breaks

However, no one here including myself can look into the crystal ball and know how the team will respond to the new staff during a game. We're all just guessing. The key will be to see how the team improves or doesn't during the first 3-4 games and not get overly excited either way. It will be a process.

Maybe it's just me but if we go 7-5 and win a bowl game CBJ should be up for coach of the year.

Reactions: 4 people

Well said. Same as the Gruden situation. Completely made up, snowballed out of control, then fans are upset because it didn't happen when they created the whole mess!

Expect great things. Endure the bad.

Because of all the question marks, the season could literally either go really well or really, really poorly.

Either way, it's this staff's first season. It will pay to be patient.

Greg King, Marlon Walls, Daniel Hood, Joseph Ayers?

James Stone, Zach Fulton, JuWaun James, Corey Miller, John Probst, Dontavis Sapp, Raiques Crump, Rajon Neal, Micheal Palardy, Jacques Smith, Marques Pair

Antonio Richardson, A.J. Johnson, Curt Maggitt, Byron Moore, Marlin Lane, Maurice Couch, Brian Randolph, Devrin Young, Justin Worley, Vincent Dallas, Brenden Downs, Justin Coleman

Geraldo Orta, Marcus Jackson, Jordan Williams, Tino Thomas, Kyler Kerbyson, Trevarris Saulsbury, Marcus Crowder, Allen Carson, Tom Smith, Allen Posey, Christian Harris

Daniel McCullers, Cody Blanc, Pig Howard, LaDarrelle McNeil, Justin King

Rest of Class Red Shirted

When I see these kinds of topics about being positive or negative towards the season it makes me wonder what if anything the opinion is based on.

Obviously, the jury is still largely out on the 2012 and 2013 class. CBJ says he'll play 13 to 16 true freshmen this year (we signed 22), that's never a great thing.

I wanted to put the list of players from the '09-'11 classes up there, because that's who is left and it's not as stunning without the list of those that are gone or never arrived, or left early:

Bryce Brown
James Green
Nick Lamaison
Kike Edwards
David Oku
Nukeese Richardson
Janzen Jackson
Darren Myles
Nyshier Oliver
Robert Nelson
Ray Sykes
Arthur Jeffery
Toney Williams
JerQuari Schofield
Kevin Revis
Montori Hughs
Da'Rick Rogers
Dave Clark
Eddrick Loften
Justin Hunter
Marques Dixon
Marteze Jackson
Ted Meline
Tyler Bray
Matt Milton
John Brown
Cam Clear
Izauea Lanier
DeAnthony Arnett
Pat Martin
Cordarrelle Patterson
Deion Bonner
Davonte Borque
Darrington Sentimore
Daniel Gray
Quenshaun Watson
Trent Taylor

This is not a complete list.

Sure many of the 2009 class would already be gone, but you can look at what's left of 2010 and those that have actually contributed from the 2011 class and agree with Butch Jones. The margin for error is slim. We will be counting heavily on freshmen and red shirt freshmen who've never played a down of SEC football.

Rather than feel hopeless or overly optimistic, I think I'll take it a game at a time.

GBO! :rock:

How the heck is Vandy a upset game when we own them record wise??

Because it's not 1998 anymore and Vandy has improved somewhat and we have fallen off the face of the earth. I'm not 100% sure who all Vandy returns off last years team, but we lost our 3 best offensive players off of a team that Vandy flat out ran off the field last year.

Maybe it's just me but if we go 7-5 and win a bowl game CBJ should be up for coach of the year.

Not sure about coach of the year, but certainly would be a solid turn for the better. I think there is enough talent to compete, but certainly depends on how they have and will progress. Instilling the will to win is the hardest thing to do.

Not sure about coach of the year, but certainly would be a solid turn for the better. I think there is enough talent to compete, but certainly depends on how they have and will progress. Instilling the will to win is the hardest thing to do.

Sarcasm on the coach of the year part but not with the overall point of going 7-5 and winning a bowl game. That would be a huge achievement.

All these threads bashing on people for expecting losses at Oregon, against UF, against UGA, etc.

What happens to all of y'all that are expecting we can win these games when this happens:

Aaron Murray has a field day against our secondary racking up 345 passing yards en route to a 27 point thumping.

Vandy/Auburn/Mizzou/USC- 3 of these four or even 2 of these four just prove to be too much for us to handle and we lose half of these games.

Just curious what happens. Replying with "won't happen, Butch gets it" doesn't count. I want to know how things will go if the above happens. A bad loss to Oregon, a bad loss to Florida, a bad loss to Florida and tough losses to two of the four mentioned last.

By the second loss we will have trolls calling for Him to be fired.

What will I be saying if the Vols lose to Oregon, Fla, Ga, and USCe in "the experts" predictions? I will say "well the experts were right, we really didn't have anything for those guys."

But during each of these games of which, I think will be hard fought and with great effort given by this Vols football team, I will watch every play waiting to see a spark, a moment, where they find the heart of a champion and rise up from the depths of defeat and play like champions! To rosy for you? I would have never thought the 1998 Tennessee Vols would have won a National Championship without Peyton Manning but, guess what it happened! I saw it.

Thank you guys for the opportunity to get that off my chest! It's been a long offseason with only 11 days to go I'm a little on edge!:D

Is that you Butch?

Well let me just say I for one supported Dooley till the end because anyone true to their team will do that! If you can't support the staff and team regardless of who it is then there are other teams that you are welcomed to go cheer for! We are Tennessee and we trust our team and staff enough to think they can win each and every game! If you don't like it move over to Vandy because you are not a UT fan!! Same goes for the OP that started this thread! If you consider yourself a fan then have faith or move on plain and simple!! Now flame away folks cause it will not change me!

This is the most ridiculous rant on being a "true fan" I've ever heard. A real fan would want to rid their beloved program of a virus contaminating everything instead of blindly supporting its destruction (and that's what Dooley was doing as, arguably, the worst coach in recent college football history).

It's fine to support the team and want them to win, but use your brain sometimes, too.

I guess the world had already been destroyed. On the other hand, what if we do win 8-9 games? I guess we were all killed when the world was destroyed and we celebrated in a better place.

VN Store

Back