Ready to be called a Negavol, but here's a real question

So basically you're asking how the fan base will react if we lose between 5 and 7 games. Isn't that what almost everybody is predicting anyway?

Hate to break it to you, but changing coaches isn't going to make our secondary any faster. They're still the same molasses-slow guys that nearly gave up 50 points to Troy last year.

Back to the point.....

Our secondary is a little different this year, wouldnt you agree? Sutton, Mcneil, Randolph,Toney, etc

Lets just hope we show some improvement and not give up if we do get down.. I kno we are rebuilding but if I see improvement and competition i will be happy. In other words not expecting much this year.

I agree. I just want us to "show up" all four quarters this year, eliminate the foolish penalties (too many players on the field), etc...

Reactions: 1 person
Almost as pathetic as the unbridled optimism of others. The optimism wouldn't be so bad except for the fact that it seems to slowly snowball into expectations which are unreasonable to say the least. I'm hoping for 6 wins, a bowl trip, and a team that doesn't quit even if they're down by 2 scores and on the road. If I get that, I'll be very happy. It's going to take more than one winter/summer to spray the Dooley stink off of these players.

Good boy!! Keep those expectations and goals set reeeaaallll low and maybe you will achieve greatness some day.

not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 3 people
Back to the point.....

Our secondary is a little different this year, wouldnt you agree? Sutton, Mcneil, Randolph,Toney, etc

Different? Yes. Better? Not IMO. The safeties will probably be the bright spot of the secondary (if that's what you want to call it). The corners are going to struggle mightily.

Different? Yes. Better? Not IMO. The safeties will probably be the bright spot of the secondary (if that's what you want to call it). The corners are going to struggle mightily.

Brewer and Moore were the slowest of the bunch. Brewer is a much better fit at LB with the exception that he tackles way too high. Moore probably lost his spot due to lack of speed and nothing else. We have weak spots, no doubt, but there is no way we dont improve.

Good boy!! Keep those expectations and goals set reeeaaallll low and maybe you will achieve greatness some day.

not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Realistic expectations for this year. Back in the Fulmer days I used to get pissed if we didn't win 10 games, so don't talk to me about having low expectations. UT football is what it is right now.

All these threads bashing on people for expecting losses at Oregon, against UF, against UGA, etc.

What happens to all of y'all that are expecting we can win these games when this happens:

the Ducks run roughshod over us and we lose by 24

Florida throws at will and beats up 21

Aaron Murray has a field day against our secondary racking up 345 passing yards en route to a 27 point thumping.

Vandy/Auburn/Mizzou/USC- 3 of these four or even 2 of these four just prove to be too much for us to handle and we lose half of these games.

Just curious what happens. Replying with "won't happen, Butch gets it" doesn't count. I want to know how things will go if the above happens. A bad loss to Oregon, a bad loss to Florida, a bad loss to Florida and tough losses to two of the four mentioned last.
These losses will reinforce what is in the back (or front) of our players minds. We simply are not talented enough to make a major dent in the SEC race.

Once that happens, and a decent bowl is slipping into the abyss, I expect it will be all the coaches can do to get the JRs/SRs to keep from mailing in their performances.

These losses will reinforce what is in the back (or front) of our players minds. We simply are not talented enough to make a major dent in the SEC race.

Once that happens, and a decent bowl is slipping into the abyss, I expect it will be all the coaches can do to get the JRs/SRs to keep from mailing in their performances.

All I want is for fans to be realistic for Butch because I care about this guy. I don't remember the last time we had a coach with this much enthusiasm about our program. If we do lose bad games, I think it would not be fair for people to start calling for his head. A guy like this is someone you want to stay with the program as long as possible.

All these threads bashing on people for expecting losses at Oregon, against UF, against UGA, etc.

What happens to all of y'all that are expecting we can win these games when this happens:

Aaron Murray has a field day against our secondary racking up 345 passing yards en route to a 27 point thumping.

Vandy/Auburn/Mizzou/USC- 3 of these four or even 2 of these four just prove to be too much for us to handle and we lose half of these games.

Just curious what happens. Replying with "won't happen, Butch gets it" doesn't count. I want to know how things will go if the above happens. A bad loss to Oregon, a bad loss to Florida, a bad loss to Florida and tough losses to two of the four mentioned last.

What happens immediately? Some grumbling. Alot of blaming Dooley, Kiffin, and Fulmer. Chatter about gettin' em next year... then the true VN junkies start thinking about basketball and recruiting.

What happens going forward? A coaching staff that does what you just wrote with this veteran roster will struggle even worse with the youth and lack of depth UT will have next fall. If this is a 5 or 6 win roster and next year's roster is worse... then you can figure out for yourself what kind of hot seat Jones will be perched on going into 2015. If all of these BIG IF'S come to pass then I think it would take 9 wins that year to save his job.

That said... you are VASTLY overestimating both Mizzou and Vandy. Vandy's historic season last year amounted to beating no one. Their best win was vs UT's worst coached team in a lifetime or perhaps ever. Mizzou simply does not have the talent to compete in the SEC at this point. When your rankings are as far behind the rest of the SEC as theirs are... it is meaningful. I know a kid that played for them recently and even started some games. I am not sure he would make the traveling squad for UT.

Reactions: 1 person
All I want is for fans to be realistic for Butch because I care about this guy. I don't remember the last time we had a coach with this much enthusiasm about our program. If we do lose bad games, I think it would not be fair for people to start calling for his head. A guy like this is someone you want to stay with the program as long as possible.

I like Butch. I like enthusiasm... but there is only one standard ultimately for a HC. Win without breaking the rules. If you are the biggest jerk in the world... that's fine. IF you are the nicest players coach around... that's fine. The standard is EXACTLY the same.

Brewer and Moore were the slowest of the bunch. Brewer is a much better fit at LB with the exception that he tackles way too high. Moore probably lost his spot due to lack of speed and nothing else. We have weak spots, no doubt, but there is no way we dont improve.

FWIW, Brewer was at one point one of the fastest players on the roster. Not sure if he gained weight and lost speed or not... but he was not slow as a safety.

How is Floriduh going to throw the ball without a QB?

Can't disagree.

He'll get this three years.

Speed in the secondary is a huge concern, but I think the issue was amplified last year because it was combined with a crappy scheme along with complete and utter confusion by the players. I may be pumping sunshine, but I just don't see how our defense can help but be significantly improved, assuming of course that this staff knows what they're doing. Then again, a significant improvement from last year could still result in a bad defense. :)

Honestly, I'm a bit more concerned about depth and how this unit will hold up if we have an offense which doesn't allow them much rest.

Reactions: 2 people
It's pretty simple to anyone that was at the open practice. Worley just isn't going to cut it. He is terrible. We have to have a threat of a pass to not get absolutely destroyed against good teams. If we can get good QB play we can win some games, but that most likely isn't going to come from a freshman and won't come from Worley.

I knew Worley wasn't going to be that good when his home state school passed on him. The home state school with a HC known for having good QB play/QB's.

Speed in the secondary is a huge concern, but I think the issue was amplified last year because it was combined with a crappy scheme along with complete and utter confusion by the players. I may be pumping sunshine, but I just don't see how our defense can help but be significantly improved, assuming of course that this staff knows what they're doing. Then again, a significant improvement from last year could still result in a bad defense. :)

Honestly, I'm a bit more concerned about depth and how this unit will hold up if we have an offense which doesn't allow them much rest.
A noth or two up from horrible is terrible and that mat be where we end up. If our D takes ona few injuries, we are looking at horrible...again.

I'm with you on the fast paced offense (offence?). We don't have the 6-8 person DL line depth and with an offence (offense?) that show preseason bewilderment, well, this is like taking a Valium with a Dexedrine. Contraindicated. :eek:lol:

What this does tell me is that Butch is playing for his/our future, setting up a system and mentality and for all practical purposes, this season be damned. In 2014/5 rides his fate.

Expect to see young kids replacing JRs and SRs underachieving at QB especially.

It's pretty simple to anyone that was at the open practice. Worley just isn't going to cut it. He is terrible. We have to have a threat of a pass to not get absolutely destroyed against good teams. If we can get good QB play we can win some games, but that most likely isn't going to come from a freshman and won't come from Worley.

I knew Worley wasn't going to be that good when his home state school passed on him. The home state school with a HC known for having good QB play/QB's.
Spurrier saw exactly what you now see. Average arm, average intelligence, average speed, average, average. Dooley got a (Gatorade) trophy player not a stud.

I fully expect to see Worley and Peterman jockey until we get past the meat of our schedule much like Dooley did waiting for Memphis Tiger High State before going to Bray for a start.

WTS, if both play like they practice, that's it for them sooner than later. Might as well attempt to right a sinking ship with your players instead of someone elses' choices.

:good!::thumbsup::yes::clapping:
Hopefully VN won't act like a middle-school girl that didn't get asked to the 7th-8th grade dance and have a meltdown (bit..ing to other fans, dissing players publicly, calling for the coach's head..etc.)

Perhaps they'll grow a synapse or two and realize that:

1) The SEC is way tougher than it was when we won the NC
2) The coaches in the SEC are considerably better as a group than when we won the NC
3) When a program gets down in the SEC, it takes a while to get back up (if it can at all)
4) Instant gratification only works with morning coffee - not rebuilding college football teams

VN Store

Back