Realistic Expectations for Florida

Florida will shut this stupid Offense Down! The best staff in America needs to be more creative or something

FL= 34
UT-10

i don't see this system beating any SEC teams!

Reactions: 2 people
Let's not forget that Tennessee has a history of pulling off an upset after a humiliating defeat:

Johnny Majors stood 13-15-1 as Tennessee’s head coach after suffering a humiliating 13-7 homecoming loss to Rutgers on Nov. 3, 1979. With 13th-ranked Notre Dame coming to town seven days later, the Vols were given no shot to win. Hubert Simpson tied Tennessee’s single-game record by scoring four rushing touchdowns that day, however, and the Vols shocked Dan Devine’s Irish 40-18.

Majors’ 1980 Vols carried a 1-2 record into Auburn to face a Tiger team ranked No. 18 and spurred on by a program-record crowd of 95,000. With an obscure quarterback named Jeff Olszewski having his career game, the Vols parlayed a near-perfect performance into a 42-0 annihilation of Doug Barfield’s squad. Auburn’s official website refers to that loss as “perhaps the darkest day in Auburn's long and glorious football history.”

The 1982 season saw a 2-2-1 Tennessee team given no shot against legendary Bear Bryant’s second-ranked Alabama squad when the teams met Oct. 16 in Knoxville. No wonder: The Vols had lost 11 consecutive meetings with the Tide. Mike Terry intercepted a Walter Lewis pass in the end zone with 17 seconds left, however, to seal a 35-28 shocker in what would be Bryant’s final meeting with Tennessee.

Tennessee was viewed as no match for 11th-ranked Alabama heading into their Oct. 15, 1983 meeting in Birmingham. The Vols’ 3-2 record included a 37-14 home-field loss to Auburn, yet safety Joe Cofer was enraged to hear the Tide was favored by 13 points. "Thirteen points!” he snarled. “They won't score 13 points!" Actually, Bama scored 34 points that day but Tennessee scored 41. The game-winning touchdown came on a dramatic fourth-quarter burst by Johnnie Jones.

Bo Jackson was the hottest thing in college football when he and the top-ranked Auburn Tigers rolled into Knoxville on Sept. 28, 1985. Sports Illustrated sent a reporter to write a cover story on Bo once the Tigers manhandled an unranked Tennessee team that was coming off a season-opening tie with UCLA. Vol linebacker Dale Jones put a wicked hit on Mr. Jackson, however, and Bo decided to watch the rest of the game from the safety of the sidelines as Tennessee romped 38-20.

If Tennessee’s 1985 drubbing of Auburn wasn’t the greatest upset in program history the game that concluded the ’85 season probably was. Although the Vols were ranked eighth nationally heading into the ’86 Sugar Bowl game, they were nine-point underdogs against a second-ranked Miami team that featured Vinny Testaverde, Michael Irvin and a host of other first-round NFL Draft picks. After spotting Jimmy Johnson’s overconfident Hurricanes a quick 7-0 lead, Tennessee dominated the rest of the way en route to a smashing 35-7 victory.

After squeaking past lowly Colorado State 17-14 in the 1989 opener, unranked Tennessee was given virtually no chance against sixth-ranked UCLA when the teams collided Sept. 9 in Pasadena. Quarterback Sterling Henton played a near-flawless game, however, and the Vols posted a workmanlike 24-7 victory.

Tennessee brought a 5-2 record and No. 13 national ranking into its 1991 game with Notre Dame but was a decided underdog against a Fighting Irish squad coached by Lou Holtz, ranked No. 5 nationally and playing at home in front of Touchdown Jesus. Down 31-7, Tennessee blocked a field goal and ran it back for a touchdown just before halftime. The Vols then outscored their hosts 21-3 in the second half to take a 35-34 lead. Tennessee blocked another field goal in the final seconds – Jeremy Lincoln’s butt made the deflection – to seal what has come to be known as “The Miracle at South Bend.”

With Johnny Majors recovering from open-heart surgery, offensive coordinator Phillip Fulmer led the No. 14 Vols into battle with fourth-ranked Florida on Sept. 19, 1992 at Neyland Stadium. Gator head man Steve Spurrier brought a three-year SEC record of 14-1 into the game but Heath Shuler ran for two touchdowns and threw for a third as Tennessee rolled, 31-14.

Though ranked No. 5 nationally, Tennessee was an 18-point underdog when it visited second-ranked Florida on Dec. 1, 2001. Travis Stephens posted a brilliant 226-yard rushing effort and Buck Fitzgerald shut down a two-point conversion try in the final minute as the Vols shocked the Gators, 34-32, handing Spurrier a loss in his final home game as Florida coach.

Three weeks removed from a humbling 41-14 home loss to Georgia, the No. 17 Vols were considered longshots when they showed up in Miami on Nov. 8, 2003 to face a sixth-ranked Hurricane squad that was riding an NCAA-best 26-game home winning streak. Tennessee managed just 170 yards of total offense but Derrick Tinsley scored on a fourth-down end-around from the 2-yard line to spark a 10-6 victory. It was the first time Miami was held without a touchdown in a home game since 1984, 19 years earlier.

With Tennessee coming off a 34-10 home loss to Auburn and Georgia coming off a 45-16 drubbing of LSU, the 17th-ranked Vols were 12½-point road underdogs as they prepared to face the third-ranked Bulldogs on Oct. 9, 2004. Worse, freshman quarterback Erik Ainge was coming off a starting debut which saw him cough up four interceptions and a fumble, whereas Georgia QB David Greene was coming off a five-touchdown performance versus LSU. Ainge completed 12 of 21 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns, however, and Greene completed just 15 of 34 for 163 yards and zero TDs as the Vols shocked the Dawgs 19-14.

Two weeks after suffering a 59-20 beat-down at the hands of Florida, an unranked Tennessee team hosted No. 12 Georgia on Oct. 6, 2007. The Vols outrushed the favored Dawgs 190 yards to 69, however, built a 28-0 halftime lead and coasted to a 35-14 romp.

Reactions: 4 people
Do you Think This team stands a chance at Florida? In every game you mentioned we had a FB and LB with speed. Laugh all you want . (We have Zero power running Game) With a qb That can't run a High school Defense could shut this Offense down!

Interesting side note to the first Notre Dame game -- Simpson was the back up running back and only got to play because the starter was injured on the opening kick off

I've been reading some of the threads and I think Vol fans might be giving too much respect to our defense. It's true that we're pretty stout up front, but we've got some new faces in the secondary (notably at safety) and, as Miami proved, we can get balls thrown over our heads. Matt Elam isn't exactly walking through that door right now.

I'll admit I don't know a lot about this Worley kid, but maybe Butch Jones should give him a vote of confidence by not just asking him to manage the game, but tell him to go win it by launching some deep bombs on us.

Reactions: 1 person
Butch and the staff have a monumental task ahead of them this week. They not only have to prepare for a game against one of our biggest rivals on their home turf, a place that wins historically don't come easy, but also getting this teams head right after the game yesterday. I am concerned that the team may lapse back into their Dooley loser mentality. Bottom line we find out a lot about this team and this staff this week.

I don't see it

Their offense is not good but ours blows too

Their D is stout and ours just hopes to hold you under 30. Not sure we can score double digits.

I've been reading some of the threads and I think Vol fans might be giving too much respect to our defense. It's true that we're pretty stout up front, but we've got some new faces in the secondary (notably at safety) and, as Miami proved, we can get balls thrown over our heads. Matt Elam isn't exactly walking through that door right now.

I'll admit I don't know a lot about this Worley kid, but maybe Butch Jones should give him a vote of confidence by not just asking him to manage the game, but tell him to go win it by launching some deep bombs on us.

His nickname is Neon Noodle.

More worried about the D though. the way in which every OR drive almost every play a receiver was wide open... i mean the longest they took to score a TD was like 2:13... it is just ridiculous to think that the coverage was blown so many times. Not to mention no pressure at all from the front 7....

florida's offensive talent is much more similar to ours than oregon's. oregon has a qb rb and 4 wr on the field at all times that if i had to guess probably run under a 4.4. i don't know if it was blown coverage as much as couldnt cover them

florida's offensive talent is much more similar to ours than oregon's. oregon has a qb rb and 4 wr on the field at all times that if i had to guess probably run under a 4.4. i don't know if it was blown coverage as much as couldnt cover them

Totally agree. Except for Coleman's busted coverage. Not sure what he was doing. Ran straight up to cover a RB in the flats that AJ was already on. Meanwhile his man had nobody within 20 yards of him. That was brutal.

Let's not forget that Tennessee has a history of pulling off an upset after a humiliating defeat:

Johnny Majors stood 13-15-1 as Tennessee’s head coach after suffering a humiliating 13-7 homecoming loss to Rutgers on Nov. 3, 1979. With 13th-ranked Notre Dame coming to town seven days later, the Vols were given no shot to win. Hubert Simpson tied Tennessee’s single-game record by scoring four rushing touchdowns that day, however, and the Vols shocked Dan Devine’s Irish 40-18.

Majors’ 1980 Vols carried a 1-2 record into Auburn to face a Tiger team ranked No. 18 and spurred on by a program-record crowd of 95,000. With an obscure quarterback named Jeff Olszewski having his career game, the Vols parlayed a near-perfect performance into a 42-0 annihilation of Doug Barfield’s squad. Auburn’s official website refers to that loss as “perhaps the darkest day in Auburn's long and glorious football history.”

The 1982 season saw a 2-2-1 Tennessee team given no shot against legendary Bear Bryant’s second-ranked Alabama squad when the teams met Oct. 16 in Knoxville. No wonder: The Vols had lost 11 consecutive meetings with the Tide. Mike Terry intercepted a Walter Lewis pass in the end zone with 17 seconds left, however, to seal a 35-28 shocker in what would be Bryant’s final meeting with Tennessee.

Tennessee was viewed as no match for 11th-ranked Alabama heading into their Oct. 15, 1983 meeting in Birmingham. The Vols’ 3-2 record included a 37-14 home-field loss to Auburn, yet safety Joe Cofer was enraged to hear the Tide was favored by 13 points. "Thirteen points!” he snarled. “They won't score 13 points!" Actually, Bama scored 34 points that day but Tennessee scored 41. The game-winning touchdown came on a dramatic fourth-quarter burst by Johnnie Jones.

Bo Jackson was the hottest thing in college football when he and the top-ranked Auburn Tigers rolled into Knoxville on Sept. 28, 1985. Sports Illustrated sent a reporter to write a cover story on Bo once the Tigers manhandled an unranked Tennessee team that was coming off a season-opening tie with UCLA. Vol linebacker Dale Jones put a wicked hit on Mr. Jackson, however, and Bo decided to watch the rest of the game from the safety of the sidelines as Tennessee romped 38-20.

If Tennessee’s 1985 drubbing of Auburn wasn’t the greatest upset in program history the game that concluded the ’85 season probably was. Although the Vols were ranked eighth nationally heading into the ’86 Sugar Bowl game, they were nine-point underdogs against a second-ranked Miami team that featured Vinny Testaverde, Michael Irvin and a host of other first-round NFL Draft picks. After spotting Jimmy Johnson’s overconfident Hurricanes a quick 7-0 lead, Tennessee dominated the rest of the way en route to a smashing 35-7 victory.

After squeaking past lowly Colorado State 17-14 in the 1989 opener, unranked Tennessee was given virtually no chance against sixth-ranked UCLA when the teams collided Sept. 9 in Pasadena. Quarterback Sterling Henton played a near-flawless game, however, and the Vols posted a workmanlike 24-7 victory.

Tennessee brought a 5-2 record and No. 13 national ranking into its 1991 game with Notre Dame but was a decided underdog against a Fighting Irish squad coached by Lou Holtz, ranked No. 5 nationally and playing at home in front of Touchdown Jesus. Down 31-7, Tennessee blocked a field goal and ran it back for a touchdown just before halftime. The Vols then outscored their hosts 21-3 in the second half to take a 35-34 lead. Tennessee blocked another field goal in the final seconds – Jeremy Lincoln’s butt made the deflection – to seal what has come to be known as “The Miracle at South Bend.”

With Johnny Majors recovering from open-heart surgery, offensive coordinator Phillip Fulmer led the No. 14 Vols into battle with fourth-ranked Florida on Sept. 19, 1992 at Neyland Stadium. Gator head man Steve Spurrier brought a three-year SEC record of 14-1 into the game but Heath Shuler ran for two touchdowns and threw for a third as Tennessee rolled, 31-14.

Though ranked No. 5 nationally, Tennessee was an 18-point underdog when it visited second-ranked Florida on Dec. 1, 2001. Travis Stephens posted a brilliant 226-yard rushing effort and Buck Fitzgerald shut down a two-point conversion try in the final minute as the Vols shocked the Gators, 34-32, handing Spurrier a loss in his final home game as Florida coach.

Three weeks removed from a humbling 41-14 home loss to Georgia, the No. 17 Vols were considered longshots when they showed up in Miami on Nov. 8, 2003 to face a sixth-ranked Hurricane squad that was riding an NCAA-best 26-game home winning streak. Tennessee managed just 170 yards of total offense but Derrick Tinsley scored on a fourth-down end-around from the 2-yard line to spark a 10-6 victory. It was the first time Miami was held without a touchdown in a home game since 1984, 19 years earlier.

With Tennessee coming off a 34-10 home loss to Auburn and Georgia coming off a 45-16 drubbing of LSU, the 17th-ranked Vols were 12½-point road underdogs as they prepared to face the third-ranked Bulldogs on Oct. 9, 2004. Worse, freshman quarterback Erik Ainge was coming off a starting debut which saw him cough up four interceptions and a fumble, whereas Georgia QB David Greene was coming off a five-touchdown performance versus LSU. Ainge completed 12 of 21 passes for 150 yards and two touchdowns, however, and Greene completed just 15 of 34 for 163 yards and zero TDs as the Vols shocked the Dawgs 19-14.

Two weeks after suffering a 59-20 beat-down at the hands of Florida, an unranked Tennessee team hosted No. 12 Georgia on Oct. 6, 2007. The Vols outrushed the favored Dawgs 190 yards to 69, however, built a 28-0 halftime lead and coasted to a 35-14 romp.

As if this stuff wasn't pointed out all week last week; lot of good that did,

I casually watched Florida's first two games against Toledo and Miami (flipping back and forth to them).

Here's what I think.

It's silly to think Florida sux. They have a solid defense - one that could give our struggling offense great difficulty.

Driskel is better than people think. He threw for something like 291 yards against Miami (and completed something like 22 of 31 passes, if I remember correctly).

They had a 100+ yards receiver against Miami (Patton?)

What CBJ said at the beginning of the season applies to this game: We are a team that can afford very, very, very few mistakes, if we're going to win.

One hopeful note: Florida is mistake prone.
20 penalties for 140 yards.
They turn the ball over - 5 times against Miami.

We gotta play disciplined, opportunistic ball to have a chance against the Gators.

realistic is a Gator win, by about 30-35 points

I hope the game against oregon will end up being a positive in that UT will have more drive and determination for the upcoming opponents. UT has faced maybe the best team in college football and got a beat down. I think UT will do anything possible to avoid having this kind of embarrassment happen again. Florida is not oregon. We will give florida a tight game. If not, that will be a good indication that UT probably will not go bowling this year. This is a make or break game.

Reactions: 1 person
I've got some ocean front property in Tennessee you might be interested in

To be fair, I do think our chances of beating UF are better than Oregon; but I had that at about 1% so that may not be saying much.

Still, at some point something has to give in this series.

Realistically, we'll show improvement since Florida's no Oregon. But we don't have the weapons on offense to match their defense. 30-10 Jortsville.

Depending on the kind of offense and defense that we saw today, I am expecting a 6-6 season and bowl game

Austin Peay W
W Kentucky W
Oregon L
Florida L
South Alabama W
Georgia L
South Carolina L
Alabama L
Missouri W
Auburn L
Vanderbilt W
Kentucky W

I just hope that we are able to improve and defeat one of either of FLA, GA, AL, SC, AU ....

Sorry man, after what I saw last night, Vandy took SCe to the wire and played tough and SC is going to steam roll us. Unless we improve drastically between now and then, Vandy is a big fat L...again.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back