Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
On3
@On3sports
·
8m
Dabo Swinney was asked by a fan during his coaches show why Clemson's paying him a huge salary ‘just to go 4-4’. His response:

“You're part of the problem. If you wanna apply for the job, go for it. And good luck to you"
(via @chapelfowler)

View attachment 591705

If he left out "You're part of the problem" I would have loved the response.

A 2028 1st a couple of 2nd round picks and 4 expiring contracts...L.A. just dumped a load of unwanted Salary.,..Batum way past his prime...Morris downside of career...and Martin Jr.who holds a water bottle....plus Covington who Philly let go previously.....even trade...Harden will carry them in regular season while Leonard and George get that needed rest...🤨
Philly needed role players that can play good in playoffs. They got that plus all the picks. Big win for them especially losing that cancer loser harden

It was a dirty play and a tragically unfortunate development. Nothing more. Hockey like football is a dangerous sport where the players know serious injury, and yes even possibly death due to freak accidents, can occur. He should get no jail time, that’s ludacris. Would set an awful precedent and no doubt would lead to less interest in hockey from the players and the public. I wouldn’t put it past the family to sue for wrongful death, but don’t think that would hold up in court either unless he chose to settle out of sympathy and guilt.
This is not true. It was way more than a dirty play. A dirty play is boarding or hitting a guys below the pads with your stick. Let's apply the same rule to football. Let's say a Uconn player becomes unhinged and removes his helmet on our sidline and clubs one of our unsuspecting players in the head. Then said player suffers brain bleeding and dies. The whole thing caught on TV.

Oh well, that player knew what he signed up for. He should've been alert to the fact another player might use his helmet as a deadly weapon. Nothing to see here.

I get that. Facts delivered unhinged can still be facts. I liked how he just laid it out. He was basically diagnosing one of the main social ills of our world presently: keyboard tough guys.
Wasn't Dabo releasing cringey Tick Toks? Wasn't he dishing shade at us, UNC, USCjr when his star was burning bright? He seems to be a very Christian man when times are good. He seems funny and easy going when others are handling the details. He did a great job of hiring in the past. I'll give him that and he deserves all the credit for bringing that program back to the top. He earned all of that.

But he has also earned the downturn and people have the right to ask those questions. He has been making some very big mistakes lately and he should know better. His emotional intelligence however is low. Starting a war with your customers and your bosses is really unwise. Making statements like, "If that's how you and the admin feel, fine, I'll take my ball and go home, then we'll see what happens" is not smart.

The best coaches understand the symbiotic relationship to their success with those above, below, and around them. The ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME, ME diatribe he went on was not only bad form, but may provide a bigger glimpse into the problems Clemson is having over the past 3 years.

It was a dirty play and a tragically unfortunate development. Nothing more. Hockey like football is a dangerous sport where the players know serious injury, and yes even possibly death due to freak accidents, can occur. He should get no jail time, that’s ludacris. Would set an awful precedent and no doubt would lead to less interest in hockey from the players and the public. I wouldn’t put it past the family to sue for wrongful death, but don’t think that would hold up in court either unless he chose to settle out of sympathy and guilt.

There's already a precedent. Todd Bertuzzi was sued for millions and charged with assault for a punch to the back/side of the head. This looks bad. I'm certain he didn't intend to kill him but neither do drunk drivers. Drunk drivers aren't trying to hurt anyone either and this guy clearly was trying to hurt the other guy.

Probably not, though I don't disagree with most of his points.

Invert the statements you thought I was disagreeing with, and you'll better get my point.

ETA: Dabo didn't sound unhinged, though his reply was probably not advisable. It's not a good look for him to tell the fanbase to be thankful to/for him when he's in a 4-4 season. He should probably have said something like:

"I know that you're angry and probably trying to get a rise from me, Tyler. I'm angry and disappointed too. I'll just say that my career speaks for itself at the moment, and we're working very hard to right the ship this year. I'd appreciate your patience, and appreciate the patience of this great Clemson fanbase as we return to the expectations we've built here."
I think the fact that he had the whole “kick some people off the bandwagon” speech or whatever it was a week or two prior paints a larger issue. Heat is coming down on Dabo for the trajectory of their program at present and he isn’t handling it well at all.. even if what he said last night was mostly right in the grand scheme of things. He could have handled both situations a lot better but he didn’t. That’s what I take away from it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back