Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug Matthews just said on his show that 4 of those refs were from smaller conferences that the SEC are looking at as possible regular refs for the future. Said that the non conf games are basically try outs for the refs from smaller conferences. Hopefully we never see any of them again.
That doesn't explain why no one has ever seen anything like it in any other cupcake vs SEC game.

Or the Alabama head official. Or the SEC replay official. Or why the Birmingham office's direct participation in replays permitted it rather than corrected it. That looks like implicit league endorsement.

It also raises questions as to how the alleged "try-out" guys were selected. If they had ever done this before, they should not have been selected by the SEC. It's worse if they have never done anything like it before: because it would be suggest that it was intentional and not incompetence. Either way, the Alabama head ref and the Birmingham office replay people endorsed and encouraged it by not correcting it on the spot.

We are lucky our players and coaches didn't snap and we had to go to Gainesville with a lot of people suspended.

Agreed. Looks like we credited too much of it to Huep’s offense… but it’s too early to say for sure imo, I haven’t lost faith in Milton just yet. The swamp will say a lot
You all are ignoring a superior O Line and the best WR in college ball. And Hendon is better. All those things compound and we are without Coop

After sleeping on it, here are my post game random thoughts... (and I'm trying real hard not to knee jerk

-- Joe Milton isn't it. And it pains me to say that because I've been on the Milton hype train all offseason. I am not lying when I say I thought he would have a Cam Newton type potential Heisman season and yeah, potentially be the first or second QB drafted. He's got the size and arm that, if you were building a player in NCAA 2014 (which cool guys like me still play) you'd build them like Joe. But he lacks a feel for the position, sometimes referred to as moxie. It's as if he's over thinking back there. And he isn't accurate. From my seats in the stands, it looked as though had he hit Bru in stride on that first offensive series, Bru is running to the end zone. Bad miss. There were other times throughout the game where he'd get the snap and a receiver would be open almost immediately 7-10 yards off the LOS and he would hesitate to throw, or just look for someone else.

-- Aaron Beasley is the best linebacker we've had in a long, long time. Almost the exact opposite as Joe in that he isn't the prototypical size but makes up for it with all the intangibles. I have to give credit to Matt Ray (if he still reads here - don't remember his screen name) but he had said two years ago that that staff loved Beasley and he was going to be our best LB. I was skeptical at the time but it has come to fruition.

-- Jaylen Wright is our best player. Looks like our best running back since probably Kamara, except he's being used correctly.

-- Flipside is, Jabari Small is a progress stopper. He's a VFL and I appreciate everything he's done - but he isn't especially fast, lacks great vision, doesn't have very good feet or balance. I guess he's steady but IMO I'd rather see what the younger backs have.

-- Can I just say how frustrating it was we just got into a dog fight with an undersized/undermanned FCS school? That was a very Butch Jones/Jeremy Pruitt style game. And I never had an opinion on Austin Pee before but I can't stand them now. Not because they played their guts out - but because of how obnoxious the players were on the sidelines. This might not have shown on TV but the refs kept screwing us over and the fans were making a lot of noise about it - and their players were on their sidelines taunting the fans. Oh and their coach was beyond obnoxious with his sideline temper tantrums.

-- There is zero reason that officiating crew should still have a job. I won't get into the bad calls because we all saw them but it was comical. Except not comical in a haha kind of way. Comical in a I hope they go home and find their house burned down kind of way. Just seemingly blatant bad calls, even post review.

-- Donte Thornton (and Milton's) performance is why I hate hate hate hate hate reading all the pre-season practice reports. Yet I can't quit doing it. How many times did we hear what a freak Thornton was and how everything looks effortless and he's definitely a one and done blah blah blah blah blah. Absolute non factor. Two horrid drops yesterday. I'm guessing he was benched - deservedly so. Majorly disappointed there.

-- Our offensive line is not good in pass protection. I forget when exactly it was in the game but we set up a perfect play and I watched as Squirrel was streaking open on a deep post that likely would've gone for six, and when I saw how wide open he was I looked to see what Joe was doing and he had TWO Autsin Pissers on him, getting a sack.

-- Dear Coaching Staff ..... stop being so predictable on second down. It's always a wasted play. For those that haven't caught on yet, we run a play on first down.... RUSH to the line as fast as possible.... hand it off on a draw up the middle. Every. Damned. Time. The defense always knows its coming. And our offensive line isn't good enough for it to be a productive play. Last night it kept ending in a tackle at the LOS - especially if Small is the ball carrier.

-- I no longer have confidence in games vs Florida, uscjr, Texas A&M etc. I don't now how anyone can watch our performance yesterday and feel confident we can beat them. Hell, I think if that was UTSA we played last night instead of Austin Urine, we lose. But it's only Sunday morning. I'm sure by Wednesday I will have convinced myself that we kept it vanilla on purpose and come SEC play were going to open things up and shock the world.

-- Lastly... hats off to the crowd last night. That atmosphere - weak opponent and flakey weather notwithstanding - was intense. It was fun. I love night games at Neyland. Us fans definitely did our part.

Awesome POST!

QB/WR is our glaring weakness right now and it isn't even close. Disturbing that they've been practicing this much and are still this off rhythm.

QUIT RUNNING IT UP THE MIDDLE ON SECOND DOWN

Wright and Sampson must take all the snaps at this point with our weakness in the passing game. Can't believe that everyone including myself thought the QB/WR group was the last thing we needed to be concerned with, and yet it is our biggest weakness right now.

Even with our issues, based on watching last weeks game with FL/Utah, I think we can still pull the W in the swamp if we simply contain and stop the run game, pressure the QB, and have our best guy/guys on their one WR weapon...

We will be lucky to win 8-9 at this point unless something drastically changes with QB/WR...

I’m just thinking out loud here… but it does seem like Heupel is just not running our normal offense so far. If you look back to Milton’s first 2 starts back in 2021, he threw what seemed like 15-20 go routes in those 2 games (granted he missed most of them) but the plays were there. We have seen one play like that so far… just no way we have “regressed” in year 3 and Joe still doesn’t get it. I refuse to believe that.

I expect to see a whole different side of our O this week

I’m just thinking out loud here… but it does seem like Heupel is just not running our normal offense so far. If you look back to Milton’s first 2 starts back in 2021, he threw what seemed like 15-20 go routes in those 2 games (granted he missed most of them) but the plays were there. We have seen one play like that so far… just no way we have “regressed” in year 3 and Joe still doesn’t get it. I refuse to believe that.

I expect to see a whole different side of our O this week
Fingers crossed we see more of the O against Clemson starting this week. That was winning football. You win a lot of games with that O and a better D

We gotta have a short mammary here.!

We struggled, and it was fugly. And, i'm mad about the officiating. I believe in Huepel et al. Team really needs to get to the practice field, and get better.

The scary thing is, isn't that what they've been doing for over a month now and this is how our offense is working? One week isn't gonna fix it at this point.

I take solace in this…..

Last year Georgia stomped Oregon. They then beat Samford at home 33-0 in a lackluster game before pummeling South Carolina the next week. They slept walked through Kent State and should have gotten beat by Missouri before throttling Auburn.

I’m not saying we are on the same level as 2022 UGA but when you are this talented it’s hard to mentally get up for an fcs school before a big game.

I think we look better next week and a lot of throws down the field and across the middle of the field instead of sideline to sideline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back