Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another example of great assistants. But he quickly went to nfl (he’s an introvert, so recruiting was not his favorite). Tried his offense and players hated it. Changed his philosophy up and got canned. I think ucla thought he would go back to his old ways in college but he never did.
This.

Always wanted Kelly before he went to the NFL.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Good luck this weekend and going forward. Not necessarily "best of luck"; I'll reserve that for Georgia since they may well need it to get out of Neyland with a win. They've only played two road games and weren't sharp in either one from what I can tell. I haven't watched much live football this season and won't this Saturday either. My blood pressure goes up and down these days like I'm pumping through lead pipes. Trying to limit the stress by fretting over lesser things (that I also don't control), like WWIII and our debt/inflation riddled economy. :)

I'm sure the Vols will play with a lot of pride coming off a loss, and they generally do that at home anyway.
Well, worst of luck to yall! Hope Georgia turns it over 5 times and has 15 penalties! lol!

I feel like FSU is overrated. I get they're undefeated, but other than LSU, who have they played? I don't feel like any of the ACC teams are really that good. My guess is the winner of Georgia/Bama makes the playoffs. The winner of Ohio State/Michigan makes the playoffs. Washington and Oregon could very well see each other again in the PAC12 championship with the winner going to the playoffs. Does FSU sneak in on a weak ACC schedule? I think Texas would make for a better playoff game, but if FSU is undefeated, not sure how you keep them out. I just think they're overrated.

Of course, if we could pull off the upset this weekend, we could really throw a wrench in the playoffs.....
Saban may give the order to Sankey to send us a bias ref. He needs Georgia to lose, in order to give Bama a chance to beat them and make it into the playoffs. There are only 2 games left in the regular season and 4 teams between Bama and the #4 spot. Certainly something to pay attention to Saturday. If David Smith, Steve Marlowe, or skeletor looking ref are the head ref, then turn the game off because Georgia will have 1 false start and we will have 10-15 penalties.

Saban may give the order to Sankey to send us a bias ref. He needs Georgia to lose, in order to give Bama a chance to beat them and make it into the playoffs. There are only 2 games left in the regular season and 4 teams between Bama and the #4 spot. Certainly something to pay attention to Saturday. If David Smith, Steve Marlowe, or skeletor looking ref are the head ref, then turn the game off because Georgia will have 1 false start and we will have 10-15 penalties.
I fully expect the same bad officiating we've been getting, but that doesn't necessarily take an upset off the board.

Good luck this weekend and going forward. Not necessarily "best of luck"; I'll reserve that for Georgia since they may well need it to get out of Neyland with a win. They've only played two road games and weren't sharp in either one from what I can tell. I haven't watched much live football this season and won't this Saturday either. My blood pressure goes up and down these days like I'm pumping through lead pipes. Trying to limit the stress by fretting over lesser things (that I also don't control), like WWIII and our debt/inflation riddled economy. :)

I'm sure the Vols will play with a lot of pride coming off a loss, and they generally do that at home anyway.
hope you guys lose every game. 😁

You guys that say this, or no one would want to come here,
Make me laugh.
Lane was one of the hottest commodities on the market then.
USC jumped on him in a split second as soon as that job opened up!
His daddy was hotter than he was. Monte was one of the biggest reason the money backed the Kiffin Hire.

Wrong. Gary Patterson wanted to come to TN after Fulmer. You cannot tell me Kiffin was the only guy we could get. We were still very relevant nationally then. Hamilton was just an all out idiot.
Patterson was not a can't miss top tier coach at the time, he would have been a good one but he wasn't a wow hire. UT was replacing a legend and KIffin was a distraction hire.

Last edited:
I'm not a banks hater, I'm really not. But this is shocking to me.

It's shocking to some of this fanbase because we've forgotten where this defense was compared to where it is now even when all the pieces are not yet in place. We don't have the talent, roster, depth or any of that because of all the crap before Heupel, but we sit in 3rd place in SEC in total defense only behind Georgia and Alabama. We're 3rd lowest points allowed in SEC behind Georgia and Alabama, 4th lowest yards per game allowed (I believe) behind Bama, Georgia and TAMU. We went from 90 to 39 in total D in 1 year (we were 21 in total d before Mizzou). We went from 90 in scoring D in '21 to #35 last year and #29 currently only allowing about 20.8 or 20.9 points per game. And there's a ton of other stats that have improved dramatically.

Unfortunately, if you don't understand how challenging it is to improve an offense or defense statistically, then to the "subjective eye", you don't see how Banks could be considered. But take some time and read some of the bios of other coaches nominated and then you'll understand why. There are coaches that have losing records, but their coordinators are being recognized for doing more with less and putting their teams in positions to win by statistically Improving in certain areas.

The reason no one wanted the DC job before Banks is because coaches can be heavily judged on stats and statistically, Tennessee needed a divine resurrection on D and the coaches we wanted didn't have the CONFIDENCE that they could do it.

We don't have all the pieces we need on D, so there's a little trial and error going on constantly, so it looks ugly and as fans it's frustrating, but we've improved on D year after year.

Even though I would lean towards letting Banks go as DC...it's not going to happen since he got nominated for the award...Banks will get a two year contract plus a raise.....unless he gets a HC job at a Mid- Major...

Reactions: InVOLuntary
No he doesn't.
It's setting up for Bama and UGA both to get in the playoffs. Just like Sankey wants it.

The last 2 times? According to Texas A&M Football's wikipedia page, their last national title was in 1939. If they are a "top coaching job in the country", then how do they explain the last 84 years with zero national championships? They've only won one conference championship since the Southwestern Conference was dissolved. A number of Volnation posters weren't even alive back when the Southwestern Conference was around. What about that history suggests the capability of being a "consistent player"?
aTm is a super weird place, glaringly more so now than in the past especially since they joined the SEC and the spotlight got brighter. Money doesn't cure all ills. They are the nerd that wants to be the cool kid.

Even though I would lean towards letting Banks go as DC...it's not going to happen since he got nominated for the award...Banks will get a two year contract plus a raise.....unless he gets a HC job at a Mid- Major...

Start with position coaches.

Martinez needs to go first
I’d also have BJM on the list as well, Herring looks awful and not playing Telander, who was better is terrible coaching.

If you still have issues after making those changes then yeah it’s time to look for a new DC.

I just don't see this team turning it around. Can barely beat Wofford and it's already game 3.

Barnes needs to make changes midseason to show he's serious and improve team morale. We need to be a serious program, not an annual top 15 program.
Are you kidding me. This team is good, deep, and versatile. They can put 5 20 ppg players on the floor at the same time if they choose. And they play defense. You sound like a small engine mechanic reviewing a Ferrari.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back