Recruiting Football Talk VII

And...Philip was never anywhere near the elite X and O guy that Heupel is....that is where similarities end and that is why I believe with all my heart that Heupel is the one.

Like I said the other day...he took a roster full of rejects and role players and all he needed was a QB with talent that he could develop and somehow miraculously fashioned a true NC contender out of it one year removed from a rotten 4 win team that then proceeded to lose over half of it's best talent to transfer...I don't understand how that absolute FACT has been forgotten so quickly....it blows my mind.

The Idiot Margin in here bitch, pissing and moaning loudly, and I can't wait to see what he does with (no offense to Hendon) the best QB talent he has ever had to work with in his career.
I'm glad you don't have WNML where you live. Listening to Swain and Kevin Simon discuss this team would cause you to have a stroke.

An argument could be made by Floridians that Florida State is a better fit than Florida. Both good academic schools but Florida is in the ACC hemisphere. Also, Gainesville has become the San Francisco of the gulf coast with their politics.

I do strongly believe that FSU and Clemson are SEC schools stuck in the ACC. Both schools have more SEC qualities than Florida and South Carolina.

I am going to go be productive, but my final thoughts on this cycle are these.

Heup is a relational HC. He is loyal to both coaches and players invested in his program and vision. Maybe sometimes to a fault, but it builds trust and minimizes drama. Pope, Alec, and Milton are all potential examples of this, both good and bad. Where Heupel does get aggressive is in his play, and to that end he has more than shown a willingness to retool or rethink. Look no further than our rushing attack this year when Joe and receivers struggled. The A&M victory may be one of his best, because it fit his style least. All of this to say, Heupel is methodical and thoughtful.

That methodology has meant we don't go all in unless there is a direct relation to the strategic vision.

Those have been:
QB (Nico & Merklinger), Play Makers (Matthews & Staley), Protection (Covid Seniors & Warren) & Disrupters (Pearce & Ross)

That strategic vision also looks not just at one aspect of recruiting but balancing all three. Look no further than the DB room these last few weeks. A DB room that many maligned he managed to upgrade in one portal rotation. He did so by making the hard choices many say he is incapable of and recruiting portal guys many said he was incapable of landing.

In conclusion Heupel is playing chess and many of us are looking at checkers. It is natural because for most of us it is not our job, our greatest strength, or we just don't have the same vision of success.

I do not know if Heupel will win it all here, but like Fulmer he is doing it his way. Fulmer had many flaws, but he was true to himself, and he was also loyal to a fault. He was relational, and he was passionate about line play and recruiting. They may be completely different individuals, but if we stop picking apart the flaws we might start to see some really fun similarities.

It is a new world, we have some advantages and disadvantages in this new dynamic, but IMO Heup is bringing new life and new ideas that just might see us to the top.
I wish I could like this post 1,000 more times. Great insight, especially appreciated the bolded.

There's really not though. Tv revenue drives everything and nobody is doing anything for free, especially Sankey and University presidents.

The other member institutions wouldn't approve adding anybody unless Thier cut stays the same or gets bigger. So if Disney isn't coming up with more money for more members... it isn't happening.

Nothing else....
I agree that the money trumps all, I should have is that if the money base is unaffected there are other things to consider. That being said anything that affects the big money negatively is a no go. I don't think FSU or Clemson move the needle for any of it. Neither has a huge fanbase or is huge brand and it would not be new markets. Texas and OU are huge brands with huge national fanbases. aTm is small potatoes compared to Texas.

We definitely missed Hooker, Hyatt and Tillman and Wright this year. I think Halze will improve next year tho.
Fify...Heupel and Halze tailored a playbook, and called plays that fit the players we had this year...I believe JH wrung about all the offense he could out of Joe and Co.

I don't understand why this fact eludes people.

For the crowd that thinks the key to the offense is Golesh, how do y'all explain Heupel having top 5 offenses (in terms of ppg, ypp, and sos-adjusted efficiency) in 2018/2019 at UCF before Golesh got there? I think there can be a middle ground that acknowledges losing Golesh hurts because losing good personnel always hurts, but Heupel is still the driving force of the offense and the history bears that out.

100%

WhAt wIlL wE EvEr Do??

Screenshot_20231222_144156.jpgScreenshot_20231222_144129.jpg

VERY happy to hear this... as we saw this season-- "we are loaded at WR, so we should be fine".... down goes Bru-- then Keyton, Nimrod, and Thornton get the droppsy's, and then goes down Thornton....

You can never have too many elite WR's in the house.
Yeah you can. You can only play so many and the ones not playing are transferring.

People seem to be comparing Milton's stats to our previous offenses before Heupel or average offenses in NCAA. Those stats dont look so pretty when you start comparing them to Heupel's previous offenses. I think Milton had the worst production of any QB to start in a Heupel offense. If not the worst, he's near the bottom of the list.

Anyway, I'm not knocking Joe too much. . . there was a lack of help from others on offense (the OL without Mays, WR issues, Bru Injury, RB's having a great year, etc). Hopefully we see a jump in all those areas next season and it translates to Nico having a great year.

Even yesterday, I wouldn't say they tore it up on offense. Only 5.2 YPP. 2 defensive TDs helped.

And yes I'm a big Golesh fan, but let's keep things in perspective. It's also his Y1, so I think he only improves them. Hope he takes over. We'll be just fine with the godfather of this offense.

Screenshot_20231222_144713.jpg

Reactions: knoxvol52
Man those efficiency numbers are so good. If we were better in the redzone and the refs called more penalties on the defense we wouldn't be complaining about an offensive drop-off. We got 3 first downs per game from penalties last year. Less than 1 per game this year.

Reactions: OrangenSC
'And...Philip was never anywhere near the elite X and O guy that Heupel is....that is where similarities end and that is why I believe with all my heart that Heupel is the one.

Like I said the other day...he took a roster full of rejects and role players and all he needed was a QB with talent that he could develop and somehow miraculously fashioned a true NC contender out of it one year removed from a rotten 4 win team that then proceeded to lose over half of it's best talent to transfer...I don't understand how that absolute FACT has been forgotten so quickly....it blows my mind.

The Idiot Margin in here bitch, pissing and moaning loudly, and I can't wait to see what he does with (no offense to Hendon) the best QB talent he has ever had to work with in his career.
I just don't understand how people miss this. It's a puzzling piece of human nature, I guess.

Joe was the best he's been his entire career and he did have a solid year statistically. I'm happy for him getting to start the entire season and he definitely showed improvement. I hope he gets drafted and has a long career in the NFL. I like Joe and I'm not blaming him for every failure this season.

That being said, the coaches were limited in what they could run on offense. You don't have to believe it, but that's absolutely the case. That doesn't mean the coaches always made the right call and every instance of failure was Joe's fault...but they had to shrink the offense down a lot. Don't be shocked next year when the play calling and gameplans magically look more like we saw Heupel's first two seasons.
The dummy really believes Heup forgot how to football a few months removed from having the #1 offense...

People seem to be comparing Milton's stats to our previous offenses before Heupel or average offenses in NCAA. Those stats dont look so pretty when you start comparing them to Heupel's previous offenses. I think Milton had the worst production of any QB to start in a Heupel offense. If not the worst, he's near the bottom of the list.

Anyway, I'm not knocking Joe too much. . . there was a lack of help from others on offense (the OL without Mays, WR issues, Bru Injury, RB's having a great year, etc). Hopefully we see a jump in all those areas next season and it translates to Nico having a great year.
The idea that the RB's having a great year was "a lack of help from others on offense" made me chuckle. I know that's not really how you meant it, but it brought me a laugh.

VN Store

Back