Recruiting Football Talk VII

If anything I'm saying Hazle is not as good as Golesh. The game plan, play design, etc is from the OC.

Edit: Golesh > Hazle is understandable seeing that this was Hazle's first year in that seat.
Heupel calls the plays. Heupel designed the system. Heupel is responsible for the result. I assure you, Heupel isn't blindly doing what Halzle is telling him.

I do think Squirrel is a bit overrated by vol fans, his route running is below average and he doesn’t do a good job of sitting in the zone or improvising his route when the play breaks down (mizzou and uga are great examples), would not mind seeing Thorton or Matthews take the slot over him

The deep shots often weren't there because most opponents played their safeties deep to take it away. It was talked about plenty in the Knoxville sports media earlier this season that teams were defending our offense that way. The coaches weren't dumb enough to force those shots.
It was really effective too. Everyone knew Joe could throw it a mile, but he had little if any touch on the ball. Forcing him to make short and intermediate throws was an obvious move for any DC.

I don’t think you see two high safeties if he had proven he could dink and dunk down the field. He just never did.

Didn't read the whole tweet but when they added texas, they showed they didn't care about the current members opinions. They approved it because of money. And the teams that bring more will get the 1st opportunity.
It only messed with A&M, who was a newer member to the conference. Texas was a paclage deal to get OU, but one they'd gladly take. UF and USC are longer-standing members of the conference with more influence.

Reactions: knoxvol52
Heupel calls the plays. Heupel designed the system. Heupel is responsible for the result. I assure you, Heupel isn't blindly doing what Halzle is telling him.
Well you did say that Golesh called the plays last year sooooo.....

All jokes aside, you are assuming a lot of things I didn't say nor imply. Hazle is responsible for the gameplan. No one said CJH blindly does what Hazle say. Elarbee also has a big role on the gsmeplan.

So then why are we giving Golesh all the credit for the first two years and making it seem like Heupel gets the "blame" for this year?

You can't have both ways. Either Heupel is responsible for the good seasons too, he's responsible for neither season, or he's partially responsible for both (most likely).

The biggest change was on-field personnel, not play calling. The personnel dictated the play calling.

Hendo's 2 year average:
68.9% completion %
3,040 yards passing (season)
9.65 yard per attempt
29 Passing TDs
4 INTS
Total TDs: 34

Joe this year:
64.7% completion %
2,813 passing yards
7.9 yard per attempt
20 Passing TDs
5 INTs
Total TDs: 27

Those numbers "mirror" to me.
Now do wins and scoring average

Well you did say that Golesh called the plays last year sooooo.....

All jokes aside, you are assuming a lot of things I didn't say nor imply. Hazle is responsible for the gameplan. No one said CJH blindly does what Hazle say. Elarbee also has a big role on the gsmeplan.
No, I didn't say that. As far as I'm aware, Heupel has always called plays. Bottom line, I think coaching had very little to do with offensive performance being down this year, and that coaching adapted to what the players were capable of executing. You believe Golesh leaving was significant. We'll agree to disagree and spare everyone the continued debate. Noone is changing their mind.

So...only play the other biggest programs and keep it all in-house and make the rich richer?

Out of 260+ D1 programs, 72 survive and ~190 are left to crash and burn? So the likes of a future USF, Cinci, UCF, Boise, Utah never sees the day of light again, because there's no route or money.

At minimum, keep playing the rest of CFB and allow for promotion and relegation. But I hate the consolidation and killing off regardless.
Not sure what the complete answer is, but I think we should have more subdivisions. I am tired of meaningless games like SEC powerhouses versus Chattanooga and UT Martin. I know it helps the smaller school and maybe a profit sharing program could filter down.

I heard this week from a P5 coach. Last year in Big 12, one team spent 24 million on NIL and another team spent 3million. The richer are already getting richer. And BTW, that Big 12 team that spent 24 million will play in the SEC in 2024. If the Vols want to compete with the big boys, we will need a lot of money.

I do think Squirrel is a bit overrated by vol fans, his route running is below average and he doesn’t do a good job of sitting in the zone or improvising his route when the play breaks down (mizzou and uga are great examples), would not mind seeing Thorton or Matthews take the slot over him
Hopefully he makes a jump like Hyatt did going into his phenomenal final year here. Had really only shown flashes prior to last season.

This is where the argument doesn't hold water. How can we be less explosive with the guy with the strongest arm in the country? The same guy who's deep ball accuracy has improved year over year. So we can't call the deep ball bc he can't throw the deep ball well enough? Is that what you implying?
You sound like a fool.

Hendo's 2 year average:
68.9% completion %
3,040 yards passing (season)
9.65 yard per attempt
29 Passing TDs
4 INTS
Total TDs: 34

Joe this year:
64.7% completion %
2,813 passing yards
7.9 yard per attempt