Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So far this week:
#6 Marquette lost to Providence by 15
#5 UConn lost to Seton Hall by 15
#10 Baylor lost to #21 Duke by 8
(Bonus: Baylor lost huge to Michigan State in Waco last week)
#7 Oklahoma lost to #11 UNC by 12
#12 Creighton lost to Villanova by 2 in OT

#4 Arizona plays #14 FAU tomorrow.

I expect the Vols to be in the #5-6 range next week.

I hate that for the kid, I really do. He reminds me of Harrison Bailey. Didn’t fit after a coaching change and went elsewhere. Still didn’t fit and slid down. I love watching recruiting, but I hate what happens to some of them after they leave. Yes, it shows they needed to move on, but the carnage that happens after, I don’t have the stomach for, especially when their families count on them. It’s brutal. I’m thankful I didn’t have that weight on me when I went to college.
Is didn’t fit…. code word for sucked….. neither guy is a division 1 player…. they should take the free education and better themselves… they could go to lower level and play if they wanted to play football.

No argument here.

Let me be clear, no way I'm saying the staff or Heupel can't coach offense or doesn't know what they are doing now etc. Nothing that I've said remotely comes to that. I'm happy with CJH. We are not too far removed from the Pruitt era 😵‍💫, definitely don't want to go back there.

To answer your question, I do put more on the coaches (if I had to put a % on it I would say 35%). That may be bc I'm so high on them and was disappointed with our play calling and game plan at times. Felt like we wasnt as creative on offense and predictable. The biggest reason I think that was the case was the loss of Golesh. We missed him more than I realized going into the season. I don't expect us to lead the nation in scoring every year (would be nice tho). But I also don't expect us to run the same shovel pass against Kentucky 4x (no zero success outside of Sampson making a hell of a play one one) or only give our backs only 2 carries out of the 11 plays on goal-to-goal downs against Bama when we had success running in the first half. Along with throwing a fade route to our 6th best WR against their top corner.

I said this before, we have the Big Joker with this offensive staff. Going into any game, I felt like we had a change to win (or atleast stay in the game) bc I felt we could out scheme anyone in the country on offense and we proved we could the last 2 years. I didn't feel like we had the big Joker nearly enough this year.
You obviously don't understand the game very well if you can't see the obvious fact that play calling was dictated by personnel. I was there and I saw the difference not just with Joe but also the supporting cast. Scheming and play calling were there, there were open men on almost every play and they were missed or they missed. This season is 100% on the Jimmys and the Joes.

The deep shots often weren't there because most opponents played their safeties deep to take it away. It was talked about plenty in the Knoxville sports media earlier this season that teams were defending our offense that way. The coaches weren't dumb enough to force those shots.
Other teams have played cover 2 against us last year the difference is that many times they were sucked up due to the fact that Hooker was a constant threat to run, Joe was not.

Hendo's 2 year average:
68.9% completion %
3,040 yards passing (season)
9.65 yard per attempt
29 Passing TDs
4 INTS
Total TDs: 34

Joe this year:
64.7% completion %
2,813 passing yards
7.9 yard per attempt
20 Passing TDs
5 INTs
Total TDs: 27

Those numbers "mirror" to me.
On a per-game basis:

Hooker (2022, 10.5 games):
358 yards
3 TD’s

Milton (2023, 12 games):
259 yards
2.25 TD’s

Milton was a good QB, but Hooker was special. Hooker also left earlier in games due to more blowouts. If I broke it down to production per minutes played, it’s no question Hooker is far superior.

Is didn’t fit…. code word for sucked….. neither guy is a division 1 player…. they should take the free education and better themselves… they could go to lower level and play if they wanted to play football.
Only thing I saw out of your post ‘ code word for suck’. And the rest of your post is still the same . Go back and read, and do slowly. Nowhere do you see sucked until your reply.

Reactions: knoxvol52
On the drop in yearly production, it can be due to losing players AND Golesh.

No doubt in my mind Golesh is a special coaching talent and his loss hurt the overall staff capabilities. Also, Hooker and Hyatt were a match made in heaven.

You don’t drop from 46 PPG to 31.5 PPG and it be one thing. That’s 31% lower!

It’s the loss of Golesh and players and you can’t convince me otherwise. Respect my decision.

It only messed with A&M, who was a newer member to the conference. Texas was a paclage deal to get OU, but one they'd gladly take. UF and USC are longer-standing members of the conference with more influence.
Maybe uf and sc do have more influence but to say that Texas is only in the SEC because of Oklahoma is laughable. It's more the exact opposite. They are here because of money plain and simple. Espn knows that Texas will bring in more viewers. More viewers=More money. And believe me Texas will bring a ton more viewers over Oklahoma. It doesn't matter to the TV companies where a school or team is located. They care more about the fan base that tune in.

Y'all... this Eli Purcell PWO LB looks like a steal, as far as bolstering your depth.

Wofford, FCS blah blah blah he can play some dang football. Few clips of him shedding blocks making tackles @ VT as a sophomore too. Two year starter at Wofford. That's not a normal POW lol. Pretty nice luxury to have a senior like him as a 3rd-4th string emergency guy. Doesn't look that slow either...out there knocking heads.

This is where the argument doesn't hold water. How can we be less explosive with the guy with the strongest arm in the country? The same guy who's deep ball accuracy has improved year over year. So we can't call the deep ball bc he can't throw the deep ball well enough? Is that what you implying?
Being able to throw it far is only a part of it. If timing is off being able to throw it 80 yards is no good.
If you're throwing a 10 yard pass it doesn't need to be thrown as hard. Joe wasn't bad all the time but he lacked the touch and awareness we needed to take advantage of his incredible arm strength.

Didn’t end well.

I remember some high profile media members thinking Gus was a way better pickup than Heupel and that UT got it wrong. 😑

Occasionally I talk trash to ucf fans about this. Their fans were all over Twitter talking about how glad they were Heupel left and how they upgraded.

Seems like today would be a good time to revisit this.

On the drop in yearly production, it can be due to losing players AND Golesh.

No doubt in my mind Golesh is a special coaching talent and his loss hurt the overall staff capabilities. Also, Hooker and Hyatt were a match made in heaven.

You don’t drop from 46 PPG to 31.5 PPG and it be one thing. That’s 31% lower!

It’s the loss of Golesh and players and you can’t convince me otherwise. Respect my decision.

I think that a huge issue with our offense is it’s predicated on the receivers and QB being on the same page as far as what routes the receivers would run based on the coverages they faced. And I don’t think Milton was ever comfortable with that.

That’s why balls were always late - he never threw anyone open. He’d have to see what they were running and then rocket the ball into them.

I think that a huge issue with our offense is it’s predicated on the receivers and QB being on the same page as far as what routes the receivers would run based on the coverages they faced. And I don’t think Milton was ever comfortable with that.

That’s why balls were always late - he never threw anyone open. He’d have to see what they were running and then rocket the ball into them.
I think this is spot on. And I wouldn’t be surprised to see Nico run into a few more INTs in the early going because I expect him to throw the ball where it is designed to be going in this offense dictated by the defense. And unless the WRs are doing their job from the very beginning I think we could see a few more turnovers out of the gate.

Having said that I trust the next two years will look a lot better offensively once they all get the majority of reps together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back