Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed when you say explosive plays you were referring to the deep ball bc we thrived throwing it deep in prior years. We've always had explosive plays in the run so I wasn't including those.

I would say we didn't have explosive plays in the passing game bc we didn't call many. Why? Who knows. I wasn't trying to go down this lane (not sure how I got here lol).

Original topic, plenty of blame, reasons, factors, we weren't as good on offense as years past. That's all I'm saying.
You want to know why? They were playing 3 safeties deep a lot. They were taking those plays away and Joe struggled with accuracy on routes in the middle of the field. We had some big plays when he hit them. Joe was no where as good a HH and part of his completion percentage was the total amount of bubble screens he completed. Percentage up but yards suffer and so does the O. We scored over 40 per game with Hooker and no where close with JM. Clemson game was tighter than it should've been and we hit a couple late but our offense struggled some that game and that bothered me going into the season. Milton in no way was close to the QB Hooker was. Hooker should've been in NY for the Heisman and Joe was no where close. That tells you more than any of us can. Not knocking Joe when you say he is not as good as Hooker. Not many have been.

i don’t know if they would both be as untouchable but both would be good.
Koufax used to tip his pitches and they still couldn't hit it when they knew what was coming. In today's world of max, effort, free swinging hitters, and only pitching 5 innings, they would be even more dominant then they were in their era. Dimaggio, Mantle, and Ted Williams would kill it in today's world of grooved 100 mph fastballs.

Yep got the win with an offensive pass interference push off.
A win is a win in the record column. I hate bama but to act like they ain't a way better team then they were in week 2 is just blind hate. I wish they'd lose every game but I got to say this was probably the best coaching job saban has done in his career. Next year they will have at least one loss when they come to Knoxville and play a tn offense that should be back on par with the 2022 version.

Reactions: SmokinBob
Team that beat a two time national champion that hadn’t lost a game in 29 straight games. Yeah they suck.
I hate when people say this because it's not like they were playing either of the national championship teams. They were playing this year's Georgia team. And this year's Georgia team isn't playing for a title. Lots can change from year to year with college football teams. Star players move on to the NFL.

I’m talking more for the sake of recruiting than anything else. But yeah I think they probably would have gone 10-2 to 11-2. Still really good and still enough to make recruiting more difficult. Texas joining the sec only benefits them in recruiting. Not like anyone has a better chance of getting kids from Texas over them now, but it definitely gives them a better chance of poaching players from surrounding states
Yeah I agree. Wish they were in sec this year so they didn't make the playoffs because that'll probably really help their recruiting take off even more. We definitely need a playoff appearance this year to show recruits were legit. That way our recruiting keeps up ticking as well. If we can land McKinley that would be huge with the early portal success we've had as well. If Nico is who the recruiting sites say he is we're about to ascend as well hopefully on a 90s early 2000s type run

Texas has a good team that would have been capable of winning the SEC championship this past season. With that said, it should be noted that their recruitment capabilities have gone up since announcing they would join the SEC.

They are a better program than they were just a few years ago becuase they are affiliated with the SEC. Their fanbase has come back alive at the excitement of transfering. I'm also sure they have seen significant increase in donor giving and financial support becuase of it as well.
Their recruiting has gone up since announcing they would join the SEC?? How do you figure? Texas has always been good at recruiting because they are the state school of the state with the most high school talent.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I hope the Dodgers absolutely choke in spectacular fashion next year....I will chuckle profusely.

I miss loving MLB 😒...this insanity is why....there is zero equity. I hate the NFL, but I have to say that at least their system is fair...if a team sucks, it is their own dang fault.

@knoxvol52 @volbeast33 someone needs to come and get their pappy👀😂😂

And I hear all the time, the players of the past couldn't compete today. Bull, Gibson and Koufax would be just as untouchable today.
I can agree with that after thinking about it. Those guys were special then and if they had the same training and coaching and weights now they probably would be just as dominant. You have to make all things equal not just some. So I change my mind. Bob Gibson would’ve been just as dominant today as he was back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back