Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
we tend to romanticize older players….. i like them too….. Koufax is one of my all-time faves…. That still doesn’t change that guys are a different breed nowadays… There have been rule changes( lowering the mound as one example to even up things for hitters since Koufax and Gibson pitched…. MLB players/teams study and emulate/try to improve on the previous generation of players. They don’t pitch less innings to try and throw harder although that is a benefit of the approach. They pitch less inning bc they figured out that the third time though a lineup greatly reduced a pitchers effectiveness.. They also don’t groove fast balls…. a couple years ago…. Dustin May threw a 98 mph pitch that had 17 inches of break to it…. That’s insane. Teams average more runs per game including the 1968 season where teams now average more than a run per game more. They also average around 100 more homeruns per team per season now than in 1968.
But, if Koufax would have grown up with this generation, he would have learned to pitch differently. Great pitchers figure it out. Look at Justin Verlander. He's been around 19 years and is still effective. He was dominant in 2022. I'm sure the game has changed a great deal in the last 19 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back