Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no one talking about Thornton when discussing the WR room this fall... I thought he was coming back? Or is it just that folks aren't putting any faith/stock in him contributing based off this season?

I think he's got as good a chance to start on the outside opposite Bru as Brazzell does because he's got the year in the system. Would love to see a 4 man rotation of Bru, Squirrel, Brazzell, and Thornton. Mix in some Matthews and I think that's your most talented 5. We'll see who makes a move this spring.

Or people rely on stats without actually using their eyes....watch the punts, stats aren't everything. However if you want stats....

He wasn't even top 50 in punt average.

If he were top 20 in average distance and we had very few return yards, that would be very good. Or even top 50 would be decent.
If you punt it out of the endzone every time, that doesn't indicate a good punter. If you kick it inside the 5 every time, that is an AWESOME punter, but unfortunately, drive for show... putt for dough applies in football as well, and the 'show' is more important evidently.

Not attacking you at all but giving perspective. I think everyone should support NIL and this program if they can.

But average fans see MTSU, Tulane, Oregon state, and Temple as the targets. When plenty have entered from UGA, A&M, etc. who are big talents. But we seem to offer packages and don’t adjust much when sometimes it would be best to in order to land top flight talent. I know that’s the coaches and others decision. But that they may be why people get frustrated when we have big needs at OL and DB. No one wants to waste Nico and this window to win a title.

Personal opinion is they should do a little bit of both as kids are missed all the time at smaller schools and dish out huge deals to flip bad position groups from top players from big schools. But time will tell in the next couple of years if we have made the right call. If we don’t make the playoffs in the next few years with Nico, I would say that’s a big missed opportunity. Personally, if the DBs are hits, LB play improves by the young guys, and OL stays healthy, we make the playoffs next year.
This goes to the Coaching Staff strategy of being less aggressive Vs the NIL support or is it enough? LA Vol has said it’s mostly staff strategy in the portal. In which if it doesn’t work they’ll eventually have to live with the mediocre results

If you punt it out of the endzone every time, that doesn't indicate a good punter. If you kick it inside the 5 every time, that is an AWESOME punter, but unfortunately, drive for show... putt for dough applies in football as well, and the 'show' is more important evidently.
Exactly. Stats aren't everything. Just watch the punts. How many go out of bounds in the air? How many land inside the 20? How many were terrible kicks that took a lucky roll? How many go into the endzone? Just looking at stats doesn't tell you the story, especially in punting.

So no one talking about Thornton when discussing the WR room this fall... I thought he was coming back? Or is it just that folks aren't putting any faith/stock in him contributing based off this season?
He finally seemed to be coming along right as he got injured. I think, or at least hope, he’ll look a lot better next season. He has the talent to be a big-time WR for us.

Not attacking you at all but giving perspective. I think everyone should support NIL and this program if they can.

But average fans see MTSU, Tulane, Oregon state, and Temple as the targets. When plenty have entered from UGA, A&M, etc. who are big talents. But we seem to offer packages and don’t adjust much when sometimes it would be best to in order to land top flight talent. I know that’s the coaches and others decision. But that they may be why people get frustrated when we have big needs at OL and DB. No one wants to waste Nico and this window to win a title.

Personal opinion is they should do a little bit of both as kids are missed all the time at smaller schools and dish out huge deals to flip bad position groups from top players from big schools. But time will tell in the next couple of years if we have made the right call. If we don’t make the playoffs in the next few years with Nico, I would say that’s a big missed opportunity. Personally, if the DBs are hits, LB play improves by the young guys, and OL stays healthy, we make the playoffs next year.
Everything about the bolded part is just absolutely hilarious. Our fans can kick rocks the guys we got so far are good and ppl with actual football knowledge know they are good. Taking guys from Georgia and A&M who are mostly bench guys or busts aside from a few who actually saw action (Nolen etc) are not worth the risk.

Have you mentioned that a TE named Darnell Washington has admitted to taking money before NIL and that there's a possibility (extremely small though) that their 2-peat will be vacated?
Nah - I’m just biding my time til the day we kt*a…maybe I don’t have long to wait now

Some of our fans will never be able to say it because of their personal bias and dislike for Banks for whatever reason. The man took a job that no one else wanted and he's turned a defense around that others, who are experienced coaches, wouldn't touch. Even though fans don't get it, other coaches get it and wanted no parts of working along side Coach Heupel and taking over a defense that was non existent 3 years ago and for tha reason alone, Coach Banks deserves some respect.
In most of the defensive stats that matter, we are sitting just behind Alabama and Georgia, 2 programs that are well established and full of talent and depth. Coach Banks has done a good job and for some reason, that FACT triggers some people.
@InVOLuntary - rebuttal?

I think he's got as good a chance to start on the outside opposite Bru as Brazzell does because he's got the year in the system. Would love to see a 4 man rotation of Bru, Squirrel, Brazzell, and Thornton. Mix in some Matthews and I think that's your most talented 5. We'll see who makes a move this spring.
The last three years we did not finish with the recievers we started with. Depth is critical both inside and out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back