Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Banks got one of worst hands dealt coming into that 2021 season. Despite the amount of transfers especially on the defense, that unit has improved year after year.

My biggest frustration is that we play way too much of that weak ass zone defense and our zone drops (especially from the LBs) are horrible. I think we should be more aggressive and play more man-to-man and come after the QB. We probably don't have the talent on the backend to play man 100% of the time but it would make QBs to be accurate with the ball more and close those passing windows. The death by 1000 cuts with the zone is irritating.

Agreed.......it is frustrating to watch as fans, and it may be frustrating to Coach Banks as he has made mention of it before. But he's said that he does whatever he feels necessary to help win games, so it doesn't matter how entertaining it is to us as fans. The reality is, we've won alot of games and his defense has improved drastically from year 1 to now, so he's doing something right.

I think Banks got one of worst hands dealt coming into that 2021 season. Despite the amount of transfers especially on the defense, that unit has improved year after year.

My biggest frustration is that we play way too much of that weak ass zone defense and our zone drops (especially from the LBs) are horrible. I think we should be more aggressive and play more man-to-man and come after the QB. We probably don't have the talent on the backend to play man 100% of the time but it would make QBs to be accurate with the ball more and close those passing windows. The death by 1000 cuts with the zone is irritating.
So word on the street is that was why we had all those portal entries. More man required more athletic. To me the more important question is why did these younger guys not get more PT.

So word on the street is that was why we had all those portal entries. More man required more athletic. To me the more important question is why did these younger guys not get more PT.
You cant win in this conference playing weak ass zone, even the average QB's can pick it aparat.
25 years worth of history shouldve told our coaches that the good defenses in the conference play some sort of man.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's the million dollar question. I agree with the VQ guys that we should have gotten the younger guys more run this year. Especially in the secondary.

Case in point with the bowl game. Why Gabe and Tank still in the game up 28-0 in the 4th Q???? They both gone after the season, we need to see what we have in those young guys.

Reactions: csprig9 and DD4ME
Well represented!

What stands out to me in this pic is that these are kids. WE should take note of that when criticizing recruits or potential recruits.

Is easy to get so caught up in it that you forget that simple fact. GBO!

While I understand what your saying about kids but if they are 18 they are adults and the players wanting nil, they opened the door to receive criticism

Not attacking you at all but giving perspective. I think everyone should support NIL and this program if they can.

But average fans see MTSU, Tulane, Oregon state, and Temple as the targets. When plenty have entered from UGA, A&M, etc. who are big talents. But we seem to offer packages and don’t adjust much when sometimes it would be best to in order to land top flight talent. I know that’s the coaches and others decision. But that they may be why people get frustrated when we have big needs at OL and DB. No one wants to waste Nico and this window to win a title.

Personal opinion is they should do a little bit of both as kids are missed all the time at smaller schools and dish out huge deals to flip bad position groups from top players from big schools. But time will tell in the next couple of years if we have made the right call. If we don’t make the playoffs in the next few years with Nico, I would say that’s a big missed opportunity. Personally, if the DBs are hits, LB play improves by the young guys, and OL stays healthy, we make the playoffs next year.
First off, I like how your posting has changed. You used to hit people hard and now you project your opinions and allow for a good debate from the person you question. Secondly, I believe you are 100% right. Here is my take on the matter. The NIL we have is one of the most organized in the country. Many seem to try and mimic it. I believe the issue is that we do not have enough "killers" on the recruiting trail. We have a few elite recruiters and a lot of good recruiters. When NIL is similar, the elite recruiters will still win. I believe this is where Heupel must make some adjustments and then we will have a top 7 class every year.

You cant win in this conference playing weak ass zone, even the average QB's can pick it aparat.
25 years worth of history shouldve told our coaches that the good defenses in the conference play some sort of man.
Joe playing or young DB's not tseemed to fall into the same process.

The devil i know is better than the devil I don't.

Evidence supports maybe they should do a little more Rodney Garner style and let it get settled on the field.

Reactions: volsfan_17
Joe playing or young DB's not tseemed to fall into the same process.

The devil i know is better than the devil I don't.

Evidence supports maybe they should do a little more Rodney Garner style and let it get settled on the field.
Im just really curious if something were promised to those who stayed during the transition to get them to stay so the AA mess could get sorted out.

we didn’t have very many young talented guys that weren’t freshman

Imo only Wright and Milton get drafted, Wright in 3rd and Milton in 7th

8-4 sounds about right when you consider we fielded a senior-heavy team that only produced a small handful of NFL players…

Future is bright for sure though… multiple potential first rounders (top 10?) on next year’s team

Reactions: Volsdeep4
They have won plenty playing defense in whatever style they have chosen to play…. Heup and Banks have stated that they want to play an aggressive style…. I don’t think that they felt they could be as aggressive with the dbs that we had.

While I understand what your saying about kids but if they are 18 they are adults and the players wanting nil, they opened the door to receive criticism

Not saying above any criticism. Just saying is easy to get caught up and lose perspective.

As for being 18......how many of these recruits are 18 yet? We know the classes of 25 and 26 aren't.

Was honestly just an observation and oh wow moment for me when I saw how young they look.

First off, I like how your posting has changed. You used to hit people hard and now you project your opinions and allow for a good debate from the person you question. Secondly, I believe you are 100% right. Here is my take on the matter. The NIL we have is one of the most organized in the country. Many seem to try and mimic it. I believe the issue is that we do not have enough "killers" on the recruiting trail. We have a few elite recruiters and a lot of good recruiters. When NIL is similar, the elite recruiters will still win. I believe this is where Heupel must make some adjustments and then we will have a top 7 class every year.
So who gets fired? And don’t even say “no one”. 😏

Now that Tennessee has more athletic players on backend of defense, playing weak @$$ zone as you say probably a thing of the past..

They have won plenty playing defense in whatever style they have chosen to play…. Heup and Banks have stated that they want to play an aggressive style…. I don’t think that they felt they could be as aggressive with the dbs that we had.
Theres been one, I guess two if you split D line and Edge, position groups on the defense that have been worth their salt in the last 3 years. Just last year the defense lost us two games. The defense has been far from fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back