Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's better because we have better players. Primarily in RG's group. The play calling with zero situational awareness has remained the same. Terrible DB play (Tim Banks specialty, mind you) has remained the same. Getting toasted every time we are in zone has remained the same. I'm not a coach, I can't diagnose the last one, but I can notice...

Think about where the defense would be if the Dline had improved at the same level as the rest of the defense, particularly the pass rush. And who with the straight face is prepared to give Banks credit for that? We all know who did that.

I'm prepared to give BJM a pass. He has a deep group but very thin with experience. That group this year was Beasley, a dude who's not a linebacker, and two freshmen.

The secondary... The tale of two halves defense, the mind boggling play calling. The fact that Banks is still here is concerning and the fact that Willie is still here is alarming. It is what it is.
And the heavens opened and all creation extolled the magnificence of the revelation. Buddy you blow up your whole point. It's the Jimmys and the Joes. I have experienced some of my best coaching jobs in decent seasons with inferior talent. Some of my worst coaching jobs were with great talent in championship seasons. If you have the horses it's hard to screw up, if you don't it takes a miracle.

I agree with all that. We literally beat no team with a pulse, especially on the offensive side.
for me the most infuriating thing about this year was that our worst loss was Florida. i just don't understand how we find ways to lose to BAD florida teams. must be what UK feels like playing us i guess.

the Bama game has a whole lot of 'what could have been' written all over it, but it's not a sin to lose in tuscaloosa. and we did see for 30 minutes what this team could do......just couldn't do it consistently.

missouri, well i hate losing to them, but hell, they're legit this year. on the road, fringe top 5 season for them. it happens.

UGA...it is what it is.

i think it was important that we won UK, aTm,, USCe, and the bowl game. i think 9-4 is a good result, and still had potential to be better with a couple of woulda/coulda/shouldas.....

Year 3 is done. the next 2-3 years i think kinda tell the tale on what this program is going to be on a year in/year out basis.

name of the game now is managing the roster (recruiting and portal) and building depth. i think the future looks really good.

I think this year needs to be Banks best defense. We have the talent and depth at Defensive line and edge rusher. Linebacker should have more depth than we have had in a while. The young talent at DB is going to have to be better than the experience we relied on the last two years at DB.
i think we're more athletic in the def backfield, but lack of experience isn't something you overcome on paper. Agree on DL and LB. i think the defense, while it did take a big step in the right direction this year, can take another step next season as well.

i think the difference between another 8-9 win season vs. 10+ lies directly with what happens with the OL and depth. and what we wind up getting in producting from the TE.

otherwise, i think next year could be pretty damn good..we're not gonna suck, i feel confident in saying that. if you peek ahead to 25, then we need to take every opportunity we can in 24 to get young guys experience, especially on the LOS on both sides of the ball.

Reactions: VolInDayton
Exactly. Stats aren't everything. Just watch the punts. How many go out of bounds in the air? How many land inside the 20? How many were terrible kicks that took a lucky roll? How many go into the endzone? Just looking at stats doesn't tell you the story, especially in punting.
Football really misses coach Cafego.

for me the most infuriating thing about this year was that our worst loss was Florida. i just don't understand how we find ways to lose to BAD florida teams. must be what UK feels like playing us i guess.

the Bama game has a whole lot of 'what could have been' written all over it, but it's not a sin to lose in tuscaloosa. and we did see for 30 minutes what this team could do......just couldn't do it consistently.

missouri, well i hate losing to them, but hell, they're legit this year. on the road, fringe top 5 season for them. it happens.

UGA...it is what it is.

i think it was important that we won UK, aTm,, USCe, and the bowl game. i think 9-4 is a good result, and still had potential to be better with a couple of woulda/coulda/shouldas.....

Year 3 is done. the next 2-3 years i think kinda tell the tale on what this program is going to be on a year in/year out basis.

name of the game now is managing the roster (recruiting and portal) and building depth. i think the future looks really good.
My issue is with the defense. People have went on and on about improvement on the defensive side. The improvement was due to a much weaker schedule at least from an opposing team's offense perspective. Overall I'm 💯 pleased with the team. I think Tim Banks and his scheme are the Achilles heel of this staff.

I've started the to watch the replays of the bowl game with Iowa and it's been hard for me to pinpoint but Cam Seldon reminded me of someone., and I couldn't quite figure it out but it hit me tonight.......... Now grant you he is raw but his running style reminds me a lot of Herschel Walker had he played in today's game. Flame me if you want but his running style and body type are very comparable.
I think he has as big of an impact on offense here as James Pearce is having on defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back