Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staes was the #1 TE in the portal, was he not?
Okay, let me rephrase. We don't chase top tier talent on the o-line or on defense. I mean, we at least talked to Evan Stewart, and we got a great TE.

Like I said, I hope the strategy leads to championships. Call it "being negative" if you want, but I'm positive I want Tennessee to be great again. I'd think we all want to see that. I really hope to see that under Josh Heupel. And no, I'm not saying we won't. I just wish we were seeing a faster closing of the talent gap between us and the elite teams. We just seem averse to elite talent from the portal at certain position groups. There've been a couple of really good OL to hit the portal that we chose not to pursue.

Reactions: tnvols72
Only the 2nd defense since Fulmer to not allow any offense to reach 40 points...and that's with a tempo offense on the other side 😳

Aka very winnable territory for most Heupel offenses.

And the teams that did come reach the mid 30s were in games where the offense stunk and repeatedly handed over good field position.
Georgia could’ve hit 40 if they wanted to let’s be honest here lmao. They were doing anything and everything they wanted

Reactions: knoxvol52
yeah that UNC tackle visited when the last staff recruited him, correct?

think if we get him for a visit we got him
Penn State fans seem confident but don’t think it’s because of any info, he was just very close to committing there out of high school they say. Doesn’t mean anything now though, IMO.

Started all but the first game this season
at LT for UNC. I don’t really like PFF but have no idea of other stats to look at for OL besides PFF grades so here that is:

He finished the season with a 74.0 pass blocking grade, 53.1 run blocking grade and 61.6 overall grade on Pro Football Focus

Last edited:
Okay, let me rephrase. We don't chase top tier talent on the o-line or on defense. I mean, we at least talked to Evan Stewart, and we got a great TE.

Like I said, I hope the strategy leads to championships. Call it "being negative" if you want, but I'm positive I want Tennessee to be great again. I'd think we all want to see that. I really hope to see that under Josh Heupel. And no, I'm not saying we won't. I just wish we were seeing a faster closing of the talent gap between us and the elite teams. We just seem averse to elite talent from the portal at certain position groups. There've been a couple of really good OL to hit the portal that we chose not to pursue.
So you think it is a strategy to get a top tier TE, but not any other top tier position group? That's a stretch. The far more logical explanation is that none of the top tiered players fit our recruiting profile.

I guess it depends on how you define great. To me great is consistently being in the discussion for winning the SEC or going to the playoffs. Great is no longer being the national punch line. Great is packing Neyland. Great is winning some big games. If that also includes winning a NC, fine, but I won't make that a gating item to my enjoyment.

I was in Tempe in '98. It was nice. But the pain of the years following was far greater than the joy of winning that one game, and I will never again make winning that game my focus. If I had to choose between the past we had (winning in '98 and then sucking for 2 decades) vs winning 9-11 games per year and never winning the championship, I would gladly take the latter. I probably would have chosen the NC when I was younger, but I have come to realize what makes me happier is consistent competence.

Of course he likes him. He’s yelling at him.
In my young career, my boss boss used to give me a hard time.I mentioned it one day to my boss and he said, if he aint talking to you,that is when you should worry. Sure enough, within months got my sales territory I had strived for 5 years.

So you think it is a strategy to get a top tier TE, but not any other top tier position group? That's a stretch. The far more logical explanation is that none of the top tiered players fit our recruiting profile.

I guess it depends on how you define great. To me great is consistently being in the discussion for winning the SEC or going to the playoffs. Great is no longer being the national punch line. Great is packing Neyland. Great is winning some big games. If that also includes winning a NC, fine, but I won't make that a gating item to my enjoyment.

I was in Tempe in '98. It was nice. But the pain of the years following was far greater than the joy of winning that one game, and I will never again make winning that game my focus. If I had to choose between the past we had (winning in '98 and then sucking for 2 decades) vs winning 9-11 games per year and never winning the championship, I would gladly take the latter. I probably would have chosen the NC when I was younger, but I have come to realize what makes me happier is consistent competence.
Great is winning the SEC. Winning the SEC generally leads to a NC in this day and age. You have your opinions. I have mine. Just getting to the cusp of a championship isn't "great" to me. We made fun of Mark Richt for years because he got to the cusp but couldn't take that next step. I've seen what Alabama and Georgia have done, and I think "Why not us?" We're just as capable as they are. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to have our own football dynasty. I've lived through the highs and the lows, just like you. But I want to reach the mountain top, not stop just short.

Didn't we chase Verse and Cypress last year?

Not seen a lot of 1st or 2nd round NFL picks hit the portal the last two seasons. But we did get a day 1 starter in Campbell who jumped Mincey and Crawford for LT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back