Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how good Kirby is as a coach for precisely that reason. He's never had to do more with less. Yall hung from Pruitts jewels when there was evidence he was terrible. Now he's coaching high school.

I'm going to try and make this as simple as possible. If you have a team that has a terrible running game, do you still run the ball every down? This team couldn't cover granny clampett but he still put them in unwinnable situations.

And for the life of me it baffles me how it's OK to blame the players but heaven forbid someone criticize the coach making $2mil. 😅
If you're on offense, you get to choose run/pass. If you're DC the offense gets to pick. You have to defend the pass, and you have to do it with what you have.

It's OK to blame coaches, and it's OK to blame players. This conversation is about which seemed most notably to be the problem on defense. It's not some sort of moral dilemma about placing blame. It's a rational discussion about what we saw.

We saw players that were not good at their job. That's pretty obvious.

Now, the next question is about coaches. Does it make sense to fire a coach if you haven't given them the tools they need to do what you've asked of them.

Opinions differ on that here.

That's OK. None of our opinions count.

It doesn't have to be melodrama.

When something isn't working, you change it up. He allows teams to keep doing what's working. If getting gutted, I'm doing something different. If I'm rushing 3 and dropping 8 and still getting abused, I'm changing it up. Banks has said they're going to have a defense that's aggressive. The defense is about as aggressive as postal clerks.

We were getting to the qb the first 2-3 games. I fully know that the refs started turning a blind eye to holding. In addition other teams started leaving an extra blocker in. Banks never changed things up. That was part of the reason our pass rush started to fall off. You've got 5 offensive lineman. If you leave another in to block, TE or RB, that means you have 6. If you rush 4 then 2 get double teamed. Makes it hard to get to the QB.

I heard Chavis speak one time. He said if they were leaving 5 in to block, he was sending 6. If they were leaving 6 in to block he was sending 7.

When I saw him give up a 4th and 30 or 40 to Will Levis at KY I just shook my head.

I know many give Willie grief on here. Those may be accurate but I'm not forming an opinion with this scheme.
Zone defense works on a 3rd and 20 or a 4th and 20 , if you rush 3 and drop 8 into coverage...

Place your odds on which of these records Nico breaks first

Single Season Passing Yards: 3,819 (Peyton in 97)
Single Season Touchdowns: 36 (Peyton in 97)
Single Game Passing Yards: 530 (Bray in 12)
Single Game Touchdowns: 7 (Ainge in 07)
Single Season Passing Completions: 325 (Ainge in 07)
Single Game Passing Completions: 37 (Bray in 12)
I think he breaks a couple of these....but first will be Single Game Completions - he will throw 40.

Yeah, players suck coaches goooood!

So how many years does he need? 6,,7,8,10.

It's beyond lazy to continually blame lack of talent in this day in age.
I recommend that if you want dialog, you start representing opposing arguments with integrity as opposed to strawmen.

I'm not saying he's the best DC we could get, but I do believe now's not the time to make judgments.

Otherwise, you can kick rocks.

Decide what kind of poster you want to be, and then we can answer the rest of your response. Or not. Either way.

January 5, 1971
Body of former world heavyweight boxing champion Charles "Sonny" Liston (40) is found by his wife Geraldine at their Las Vegas home; he had been dead for an estimated 6 days; foul play suspected

One of the most iconic boxing matches in history may have been rigged by the mob.

According to an in-depth piece from the Washington Times citing decades-old FBI documents, the Feds suspected that the 1964 fight between Muhammad Ali, then Cassius Clay, and Sonny Liston was rigged.

Clay won in a six-round bout after Liston retired due to a shoulder injury -- a fact that has since been questioned. Still, the fight was regarded as a seminal moment in boxing's history, and was named the fourth-greatest sports moment of the century by Sports Illustrated.

The FBI suspected that a mob connection, Ash Resnick, set up the fix. The paper cites the report, which published information provided by a gambler named Barnett Magids and his dealings with Resnick, the latter being known to have engaged in such dealings before.

Here's the most substantive FBI evidence, from a report in 1966 obtained by the Washington Times.

Organizers of the rematch settled on the unlikely locale of Lewiston, Maine, but the fight itself only led to more controversy. The atmosphere of tension and violence surrounding the event was blamed for a paltry crowd of some 2500 fans at Maine’s first (and last) heavyweight championship match, and when Liston collapsed midway through round one, almost no one saw the blow that put him there; the clout that decided the contest would soon come to be known as “The Phantom Punch.”

With Liston on the canvas, Ali shouted at him to rise before circling the ring in a manic victory dance. Referee Jersey Joe Walcott, preoccupied with trying to corral Ali, failed to communicate with the timekeeper and thus never administered a count. A seemingly disoriented Liston climbed to his knees but then collapsed again, before eventually getting to his feet and attempting to resume the fight. Walcott was then informed that Liston had indeed been on the canvas for more than ten seconds and he finally halted the match and declared Ali the winner.

Was his death due to these "fixed" fights??

View attachment 607546
Recommended reading, 'The Devil and Sonny Liston.' His own worst enemy. Had it not been for jailtime he would have been champ.

His knuckles were estimated to be greater than 12" wide. Ali always said he was one tough SOB. I dont buy that Ali, that early could knock him out.

Great freshman year….. last season he averaged less ypc than Jabari Small…. i will pass on him.
He's a good player who thinks he's a little more valuable than he probably is. I don't see any way to bring him to UT without causing problems. Our RB room is happy. We want to keep it that way.

I just realized you have a huge man crush on Dayne Davis. DayneDavis4ME. Makes sense. No judgement.
Given my post count and repetitive nature Double Down is likely more accurate. Hate to steal that mantle from some of you through.

When something isn't working, you change it up. He allows teams to keep doing what's working. If getting gutted, I'm doing something different. If I'm rushing 3 and dropping 8 and still getting abused, I'm changing it up. Banks has said they're going to have a defense that's aggressive. The defense is about as aggressive as postal clerks.

We were getting to the qb the first 2-3 games. I fully know that the refs started turning a blind eye to holding. In addition other teams started leaving an extra blocker in. Banks never changed things up. That was part of the reason our pass rush started to fall off. You've got 5 offensive lineman. If you leave another in to block, TE or RB, that means you have 6. If you rush 4 then 2 get double teamed. Makes it hard to get to the QB.

I heard Chavis speak one time. He said if they were leaving 5 in to block, he was sending 6. If they were leaving 6 in to block he was sending 7.

When I saw him give up a 4th and 30 or 40 to Will Levis at KY I just shook my head.

I know many give Willie grief on here. Those may be accurate but I'm not forming an opinion with this scheme.
Banks will leave on his own. Didn't happen this year, but he'll find an HC job.

True. They go after versatile guys they can move around to create depth we really don't have. That mindset is more likely to come from move-up guys. The top-tier guys move for $$. Bringing in a big money guy is going to precipitate new demands from current guys. You can't let Mincey walk because he wants to renegotiate a bigger deal then bring in somebody new for big money. Guys are going to try and leverage that and you're backed into a corner you don't want to be in.

Doesn't help that all the true OTs only want to play LT

I don't know how good Kirby is as a coach for precisely that reason. He's never had to do more with less. Yall hung from Pruitts jewels when there was evidence he was terrible. Now he's coaching high school.

I'm going to try and make this as simple as possible. If you have a team that has a terrible running game, do you still run the ball every down? This team couldn't cover granny clampett but he still put them in unwinnable situations.

And for the life of me it baffles me how it's OK to blame the players but heaven forbid someone criticize the coach making $2mil. 😅
I'd be happy to blame his ass. Show me a game he lost us this year. I'll hang up and listen. Please post quarters and the decisions you think lead to the loss. This game is real easy when you make the rules obtuse.

Recommended reading, 'The Devil and Sonny Liston.' His own worst enemy. Had it not been for jailtime he would have been champ.

His knuckles were estimated to be greater than 12" wide. Ali always said he was one tough SOB. I dont buy that Ali, that early could knock him out.
I've not heard of that book.............but will 100% get it!

Reactions: KptVFL
Banks will leave on his own. Didn't happen this year, but he'll find a HC job.
holiday-classics-elf.gif

Don't do this to me like you did last year, LA. 😅

Banks will leave on his own. Didn't happen this year, but he'll find an HC job.
Banks is a darn good DC. I have no issues with him and hope he enjoys it here and finds the best spot he can in the future.

And when the time is right I hope we hire a great fit to replace him.

The statistical improvement the defense has shown in 3 years is very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back