Recruiting Football Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as Heupel likes to run the ball...I don't know if any of those records will be broken...but I do believe years like Hendon had last year will be in play...so any of them could fall if we get good enough WR and OL play

The total TD (rushing and passing) record was not listed...and I think that is the one likeliest to fall to Nico.

Total for a season or career?

Peyton had 89 passing and 12 rushing for 101
Dobbs had 53 passing and 32 rushing for 85

Nico has 2 passing and 3 rushing for 5 right now... with 2 full seasons he could accumulate 97, but I don't think 2 seasons is enough. Even in 22 when we scored a ton Hendo only had 27 passing and 5 rushing and if you add in the extras Joe got in garbage time that's only 10 more TDs (42 total between them)

This staff searches for fit, not team. If a guy fits their parameters, they don't seem to place a lot of weight on where he comes from. Other schools have different strategies, like promising rival players more PT or NIL. Using peer-to-peer recruiting to make a player feel undervalued where he is works well on some guys.
i think that's probably pretty common in this process.

I don't feel like anyone is really saying that...I know I'm not, "better than Pruitt & company" isn't exactly a high bar to surpass.

But no team has both an amazing offense AND amazing defense. So with Heupel here our defense is always going to be in the shadows a bit. We just need a DC that is above average. If he's in the top 50% in the SEC then he's good enough.
We can agree to disagree. Many teams are running hurry up and facing a lot of snaps too. I don’t think middle of the road in the SEC on defense gets you anywhere near where we want to be. I do think he is above average. But we are paying for an elite DC.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Sure it could be worse but it could much better. I've seen the same ish over and over and over. Rushing 3-4, sitting back in a soft zone giving up 3rd and 4th of 10, 20, 30 yards. Times where the DBs were 10 yards behind the sticks. Much of that isn't talent related.

If a coordinator needs superior talent, out talent the other team, to be successful, is he really all that good of a coach? Coach Heupel had similar talent levels on offense yet he's able to maximize that talent and get 💯 out of it. He's been here 3 seasons and the same 🦬💩 keeps happening.

Yeah passing defense is without question Banks' biggest issue. But I'm still not 100% sure if it's all Banks or if part of it is Willie. I get the vibe by watching how RG/Ekeler/BJM operate that Banks is more hands off than most DCs about positional philosophies.

Of course we also don't know if the bodies they had were better suited for Zone or if Heupel has a preference to that style of "bend but don't break" cause our offense needs to be able to run the ball and getting behind too fast because of big chunk plays (like happened at South Carolina in 22) really stalls the offensive play calling.

I've hated soft zone since 3rd down and Chavez though saw that BS lose games to Spurrier too many times.

Its amazing how great everyone seems to think he is, yet no one is trying to poach him. And he is actively pursuing smaller head coaching jobs too and they aren’t taking him. I’d be willing to see what he does without Willie as he is awful, but it’s fascinating how everyone thinks he is a top flight DC.

What site have you been reading because it's not this one? Have seen zero people say that he is great.

All I have seen are one's who think he's trash(very vocal ones) and others who think that the jury is still out.

We can agree to disagree. Many teams are running hurry up and facing a lot of snaps too. I don’t think middle of the road in the SEC on defense gets you anywhere near where we want to be. I do think he is above average. But we are paying for an elite DC.

That's fair, but we also had to overpay that side of the ball because of the mess we were in AND because Heupel's offensive strategy isn't typically one that attracts top level defensive minds.

Total for a season or career?

Peyton had 89 passing and 12 rushing for 101
Dobbs had 53 passing and 32 rushing for 85

Nico has 2 passing and 3 rushing for 5 right now... with 2 full seasons he could accumulate 97, but I don't think 2 seasons is enough. Even in 22 when we scored a ton Hendo only had 27 passing and 5 rushing and if you add in the extras Joe got in garbage time that's only 10 more TDs (42 total between them)
Season

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
What site have you been reading because it's not this one? Have seen zero people say that he is great.

All I have seen are one's who think he's trash(very vocal ones) and others who think that the jury is still out.
I don't think he is great...I don't think he is horrible either

Sadly all this really does for Mincey is kill any shot at being drafted.

NFL teams see a guy that isn't willing to play wherever he's needed to get on the field and likely drop him on the board. You think Trey Smith would sit out most of a game just because he wasn't getting to start at LT?
So true!! This is the “long game” strategy I think CH is playing. He is going to instill in HIS players the idea of playing for the team, get better each and every day, and the “paydayS” will come. If we (UT Admin (which I think they are bought in), donors, and fans) get behind this, we can enjoy a run of long term consistent success. Plug a “generational type talent” in here and there, and you could have those very special years. I prefer this over the mercenary approach others are deploying.

Last edited:

Yeah, I think Nico has a good shot to break both the most passing TDs in a season (36) and most total TDs in a season (39). I also think Heupel will be far more likely to give Nico more late game snaps to push him for a Heisman.

I could see Nico going for 38 and 5 or 6 rushing pretty easily if he stays healthy and the OL/WRs play well.

CJH is an offensive minded HC, really believe he is fine with an adequate defense..
Theory my team will put up 40+ a game and I believe we hold you to 30 or less, which will work as long as Tennessee keeps recruiting the skill players on offense..
We only lose against UGA if we put up the same points as last year and allow the points we did this year. Think about that. That means we would have missed the SECCG, but been in discussion for playoff.

On the OL problem...Looking at the NFL, every year there are a lot of OL that nobody has heard of drafted from small schools...and looking at rosters, there are tons of dudes like that..

I think it would be a good strategy to really try and identify these guys and offer them the chance to move up and make some money.

Everybody wants the big names...but when it comes to OL there are a large amount of relative unknown nobodies at East Bum**** State University that can play big time ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back